Insecure password warning from Mozilla Firefox

hungan1

Reaction score
Hi Administrator,

Firefox has given me an insecure password warning. Please see attached image. Do we have a secure login (https://)?

Insecure Password Warning 06052017.jpg

The reason WHY this is important is because somehow my computer got hacked recently with my credit card information stolen before we caught the problem. I am not sure how the perpetrators got through my computer. I need to plug all the holes, and Gopherhole is one of those flagged with an insecure access.

I spent three weeks changing all my online account usernames & passwords containing vital information. They still made several attempts to change the passwords on a couple of my online access including my bank account. I had to have all my credit cards cancelled and re-issued with new account numbers. I decided to replace my infected hard drive and with the help of Microsoft ran several programs to make sure there are no signs of infection.

Users beware of the risks of accessing unsecured sites!

Insecure password warning in Firefox

Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through red strikethrough icon in the address bar when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

Starting in Firefox version 52, you will also see a warning message when you click inside the login box to enter a username or password.

Fx52insecurePW

Note: When you start typing in your login information, the warning message can obscure the password entry box. You can press the Enter key after you type in your username (or click outside of the password area) to dismiss the warning.
What can I do if a login page is insecure?

If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Here is feedback from our IT server team:

This has actually been in the works for a couple years… and fully implemented on Chrome (December) and Firefox earlier this year.

For the record, we will not allow “Let’s Encrypt” SSL Certificates on our network. They rely on too many open-source items which are inherently insecure.

Top Bottom