Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Fleck - 6/4/17

DL65

Reaction score
After his absence last Sunday morning for Memorial Day weekend, P.J. Fleck returned to the WCCO radio air waves and queries from Sid Hartman, Dave Mona and Mike Max on the Sports huddle. Topics covered include state tours, high school camps, players studying overseas, players that didn’t participate in spring drills, 2017 recruits arriving on campus, recruiting numbers, teaching tackling, and graduate transfers.

1) Sid opened the segment asking about Fleck's experiences visiting outstate communities:

Coach Fleck said he enjoyed the experience of getting to meet fans in southern Minnesota and looks forward to the northern tour that starts tomorrow with three stops. “We had record crowds . . . fan base is excited . . . (fans) pour out their hearts for Gopher athletics,” Fleck said.

2) Sid asked about the summer camps that have already started at Minnesota:

“We have six camps on campus and four satellite camps (in other states - I didn’t catch the sites locales, except I did hear Dallas, TX and I believe he said Chicago).” Fleck added, “We coach, our coaches coach.” He emphasized that they do not bring in coaches outside the program, as some programs apparently do. “We’ll have about a 1,000 kids come through the camps.”

The purpose of the camps, according to Fleck, “Educate . . . Evaluate . . . . Excite.” Fleck said the camps “helps in-state recruiting . . . two committed this week . . . six staying in Minnesota.” Fleck said he thought the number was six in-state recruits have committed to the Gophers.

3) Sid asked about some players studying overseas and their experiences:

Fleck spoke positively about the overseas opportunities for studies abroad that the University provides. Fleck said, “They (student athletes) get there on their own.” Fleck hopes the program expands, because he believes the experience of seeing other parts of the world and different cultures is invaluable.

4) Sid asked what the players will be doing during the summer in preparation for the fall camp:

Because of NCAA regulations, “The coaches don’t do a lot,” Fleck answered.

However, Fleck said the players will be receiving a lot strength and conditioning workouts with their strength coaches, as well as workouts conducted by the players. The players, of course, will also be attending summer school classes.

5) Sid asked if the twenty-two players that sat out spring drills will be ready when fall camp rolls around:

“They’re not all healthy, now . . . We’re fighting through it . . . . Most will be ready for fall camp,” Fleck replied.

As he has said before, all the players need to do as much as they can physically and mentally to be ready for the upcoming season.

6) Because of different commencement dates (early and late), Dave Mona asked if there were any early arrivals on campus from the 2017 recruiting contingent:

Fleck answered, “Freshmen get here in about a week . . . . Excited about getting them on campus and in summer school.”

7) Sid asked if they’ll adding anymore recruits to the 2017 class:

“We have one or two scholarships available . . . we might hold them for 2018 and then have the additional signees added to the 2017 class.”

Fleck said they want to be judicious in handing out scholarships. There must be a large need and an exceptional recruit – not just filling a slot or need.

8) Sid asked when fall drills will begin:

“In the first week August,” Fleck answered. He said they don’t have two-a-days, because of the concern for the health and safety of the players. He also said they’ll use the system they’ve used at Western Michigan.

Fleck concluded the question saying the drills must benefit the players physically and mentally, wants the players to be fresh when the season starts.

9) Mike Max asked about tackling drills and how they can tell if they’re a good tackler, especially if there is a limitation of tackling in practices:

“By watching their high school films,” Fleck quickly replied. “We’ll teach them how to tackle . . . (in practice they’ll practice) four types of tackling,” Fleck said.

As to a player displaying a willingness to be a strong hitter, Fleck said they should be able to ascertain a player’s willingness to hit by watching films.

10) Dave Mona asked the final question that was related to graduate transfers:

Fleck said a lot of discussions are going on about graduates leaving a program when they still have eligibility. Not sounding positive, Fleck said, “There’s a lot going on behind the scenes that the public doesn’t know about that needs to be cleaned up.” Fleck said it can be frustrating to lose a fifth-year player - who is an asset to the team – to another school.” He acknowledged they’ll try to help a player transfer to another school, if that’s what he wants, so as to get more playing time.

Go Gophers!!

Your last report DL was a Gem! Super thanks for all you had done during the past 7 years!

If anyone missed it, earlier in the Sports Huddle, Dave Mona mentioned DL65 by name - (his "real" name) - and saluted him for transcribing the FB coaches interviews for Gopher Hole.com. Mona also mentioned it was DL's last week providing that service.

I thought the answer on grad transfers was interesting. Fleck seemed to hint - as has been discussed on this board - that players may be contacting other teams to gauge transfer possibilities, and suggested there needs to be some changes in the rules pertaining to grad transfers.

Thank you DL for a great run of providing these for all of us to read. Well deserved time away for you.

Didn't the NCAA outlaw two a days?

elite work dl65, already looking forward to the reunion tour, until then SON will put us on his shoulders.

Great job the past few years, DL. Many thanks for sharing your time and efforts with us.

If anyone missed it, earlier in the Sports Huddle, Dave Mona mentioned DL65 by name - (his "real" name) - and saluted him for transcribing the FB coaches interviews for Gopher Hole.com. Mona also mentioned it was DL's last week providing that service.

I thought the answer on grad transfers was interesting. Fleck seemed to hint - as has been discussed on this board - that players may be contacting other teams to gauge transfer possibilities, and suggested there needs to be some changes in the rules pertaining to grad transfers.
College coaching staff's almost universally believe that once a player has his undergraduate degree, that they have no obligation to maintain that player on scholarship as a grad student.
What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
The player should be free of their obligation to his undergrad school and be able to transfer to any program of their choice.

College coaching staff's almost universally believe that once a player has his undergraduate degree, that they have no obligation to maintain that player on scholarship as a grad student.
What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
The player should be free of their obligation to his undergrad school and be able to transfer to any program of their choice.

A total of 108 players transferred before last season. That's less than one per team. If your first statement was correct (which I highly doubt) this number would be substantially higher.

Great job the past few years, DL. Many thanks for sharing your time and efforts with us.

Couldn't agree with you more. He was the best thing about the GopherHole. The question is who is now going to translate "Sid" into English for us?

A total of 108 players transferred before last season. That's less than one per team. If your first statement was correct (which I highly doubt) this number would be substantially higher.
So you're saying coaches honor all players scholarships' until eligibility has expired? That's really naive.
Most of the graduated players with eligibility left don't have D1 transfer options, especially if they haven't played significantly. They just quietly leave eligibility on the table.

DL65 - Thanks for keeping us abreast with Sports Huddle all these years.

Super job DL! OK football experts, help me out. What are the 4 types of tackles? There has to be the 1) standard "head across the bow", 2) rugby tackle when coming from the side, 3) probably some type of tackle used to bring down QB's without being penalized, and 4) ?

Super job DL! OK football experts, help me out. What are the 4 types of tackles? There has to be the 1) standard "head across the bow", 2) rugby tackle when coming from the side, 3) probably some type of tackle used to bring down QB's without being penalized, and 4) ?

I remember Fleck going through the 4 types of tackles, but I wasn't taking notes, and the guy talks so fast I just don't remember exactly what he said. I think that 'CCO usually posts a podcast of the show at some point, so you could go online and listen.

I remember Fleck going through the 4 types of tackles, but I wasn't taking notes, and the guy talks so fast I just don't remember exactly what he said. I think that 'CCO usually posts a podcast of the show at some point, so you could go online and listen.

Hopefully the CCO boys are taking note of these issues when Fleck talks fast as people are obviously not keeping up what he saying. This is especially true when he talks about things for the first time and as he is fast people aren't grasping what he saying.

Not necessarily, because a lot of those players realize they aren't going pro and just decide it's not worth finding another school, moving to a new city (usually) just to play for another year and then have to find a job in whatever field. And if a guy's not going to come in and start (which few players are that good) why would another team want them for one season? And if a guy is that good, then the school will grant them a scholarship.

I think now in the B1G they commit to 5 years of scholarship if they are signed to a scholarship from day 1, so it's a non-factor here. But other conferences definitely this happens.

Not necessarily, because a lot of those players realize they aren't going pro and just decide it's not worth finding another school, moving to a new city (usually) just to play for another year and then have to find a job in whatever field. And if a guy's not going to come in and start (which few players are that good) why would another team want them for one season? And if a guy is that good, then the school will grant them a scholarship.

I think now in the B1G they commit to 5 years of scholarship if they are signed to a scholarship from day 1, so it's a non-factor here. But other conferences definitely this happens.
There have been several Gopher players that didn't complete their eligibility in the last few years. It happens in the B1G the same as anywhere else.

There have been several Gopher players that didn't complete their eligibility in the last few years. It happens in the B1G the same as anywhere else.

Right, but Highwayman's point was that he didn't believe your point that players are being forced out since the number of graduate transfers was so low and my response to that was that just because a player had their scholarship pulled for the 5th year didn't mean they'd necessarily be a grad transfer. Many just move on with life, some stay as walk-ons and it's a very select few that become grad transfers.

And while there have been several Gophers who have transferred or just not returned, it isn't because their scholarship has been pulled because the fifth year is guaranteed in the B1G, except if it was a former walk-on. Even that, the only one I can think of would have been Rhoda, but Fleck reversed that decision. I'm not going to say that some may not have been encouraged to leave, but outside of disciplinary issues nobody has been forced out. Other schools (SEC especially from what I understand) are harsh on 5th year scholarships to players that aren't in the two deeps.

Right, but Highwayman's point was that he didn't believe your point that players are being forced out since the number of graduate transfers was so low and my response to that was that just because a player had their scholarship pulled for the 5th year didn't mean they'd necessarily be a grad transfer. Many just move on with life, some stay as walk-ons and it's a very select few that become grad transfers.

And while there have been several Gophers who have transferred or just not returned, it isn't because their scholarship has been pulled because the fifth year is guaranteed in the B1G, except if it was a former walk-on. Even that, the only one I can think of would have been Rhoda, but Fleck reversed that decision. I'm not going to say that some may not have been encouraged to leave, but outside of disciplinary issues nobody has been forced out. Other schools (SEC especially from what I understand) are harsh on 5th year scholarships to players that aren't in the two deeps.
Sorry, that's just wrong. Luke Rasmussen and Ace Rogers were not invited back by Claeys though they had eligibility left. I happen to know that Rogers was subsequently pursuing a transfer after being pushed out. The McAvoys had eligibility remaining after completing their degree and weren't invited back, as well as a few guys when Claeys took over.
That's just the ones I know about. I'm sure there are others in the past few years.

Top Bottom