Jacob Smith

hungan1

Reaction score
I see that Rosemount 6'6" 319-pound OT committed early to BYU on 6/30/2016.

Are PJF and Warinner pursuing him to flip?

He's one in-state kid you'd hate to see get away.

I know nothing, but with a last name like Smith and an early commit to BYU we may be fighting an uphill battle.

He’s been dead set on BYU for a while and I know he isn’t camping at Minnesota this summer.

The Gophers staff can't camp out in front of his house?

From Scout 7/1/2016:

"Rosemount offensive lineman Jacob Smith headed out west to participate in a multi-day camp at BYU earlier this week. He started the trip on Monday, missed the first day of camp, and then started participating on Tuesday.
He has been in contact with BYU for some time now and has been really high on the school. That interest only increased once he was able to get out there - see the campus, experience the environment, and meet the coaches and players. He loves the program that they have there and the fact that he is a Mormon only strengthens the tie he has to the school."

End of story.

From Scout 7/1/2016:

"Rosemount offensive lineman Jacob Smith headed out west to participate in a multi-day camp at BYU earlier this week. He started the trip on Monday, missed the first day of camp, and then started participating on Tuesday.
He has been in contact with BYU for some time now and has been really high on the school. That interest only increased once he was able to get out there - see the campus, experience the environment, and meet the coaches and players. He loves the program that they have there and the fact that he is a Mormon only strengthens the tie he has to the school."

End of story.

I was going to ask if he was Mormon but didn't want to be accused of being insensitive or something. IMO the fact he IS means we have NO shot. And that's fine. Wish him the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to ask if he was Mormon but didn't want to be accused of being insensitive or something. IMO the fact he IS means we have NO shot. And that's fine. Wish him the best.

Yeah - just wanted to clarify that my assumption on his Mormon also faith carried zero snark. I was simply implying that I assumed he was Mormon and that fact would greatly limit our ability to sway him away from BYU. To each their own.

He might do a mission before he actually plays, so we may get him on the flip side.

I'm really upset folks were discussing his religion.

A kid on another board I participate in went to BYU and was turned off by the fact that every girl on campus seemed to be pursuing her Mrs degree. It's just an aspect of the campus culture, good for some, not so good for others.

TMK, the only time one cannot ask about religion is during a job interview or applying for housing. This is still the USA, where we can make fun of anyone or anything including all religions particularly the nuttier ones (and we do). Now, if Brigham Young were alive he might accuse me and thousands of others of libel for the joke except he did indeed have multiple underage wives.

Just when you think a joke can't be more obvious, someone on Gopher Hole proves me wrong. Speaking of jokes, I heard a good one from Bill Maher the other night..........

Its okay. BYU isn't on our schedule anyways

A kid on another board I participate in went to BYU and was turned off by the fact that every girl on campus seemed to be pursuing her Mrs degree. It's just an aspect of the campus culture, good for some, not so good for others.

This is not unique to BYU. Texas A&M is the same way. Some schools are like that. As for anyone having an issue discussing his religion, the fact that he is a Mormon has total relevance to the conversation. If you have a kid you want to flip, who really likes a different school, you have to consider the size of the hurdle to get them to flip. A Mormon kid attending a Mormon University makes the challenge much more difficult.

If he was committed to Wisconsin and we were discussing his religion, then yeah, I got a problem with it too - then again I don't like Satanists......

This is not unique to BYU. Texas A&M is the same way. Some schools are like that. As for anyone having an issue discussing his religion, the fact that he is a Mormon has total relevance to the conversation. If you have a kid you want to flip, who really likes a different school, you have to consider the size of the hurdle to get them to flip. A Mormon kid attending a Mormon University makes the challenge much more difficult.

If he was committed to Wisconsin and we were discussing his religion, then yeah, I got a problem with it too - then again I don't like Satanists......
There was a similar situation a few with John Carlson out of Litcfield and Notre Dame. Carlson coming from a deeply religious Catholic family was a big factor in his decsion to go to ND.

Why would that possibly be considered an insensitive question? It's information that is totally relevant to his commitment and recruitment.

Why would that possibly be considered an insensitive question? It's information that is totally relevant to his commitment and recruitment.

I agree. But you know as well as I do how hyper sensitive and politically correct things are now. I would of gotten a "oh! So since he's going to BYU he MUST be Mormon huh?!" Or something. But I may have just been being overly cautious. I myself hate that things are so over the top when it comes to being politically correct.

There was a similar situation a few with John Carlson out of Litcfield and Notre Dame. Carlson coming from a deeply religious Catholic family was a big factor in his decsion to go to ND.

Carlson’s go to First Lutheran Church in Litchfield. Last I checked that’s far from deeply Catholic. I recall his big reason he chose Notre Dame was, well, because Notre Dame.

I agree. But you know as well as I do how hyper sensitive and politically correct things are now. I would of gotten a "oh! So since he's going to BYU he MUST be Mormon huh?!" Or something. But I may have just been being overly cautious. I myself hate that things are so over the top when it comes to being politically correct.

You are so correct JT. So many people now-a-days look for reasons to be offended. PitchFork Nation. I think it makes them feel enlightened or superior somehow.

Top Bottom