DB Josh Aune Commits to the Gophers

It was out of the blue. No one on here was talking about how we should offer this kid. Richter was out of the blue too. Obviously the staff spent time evaluating the players, doesn't mean it wasn't out of the blue to fans. Personally I think that wr (Erik Gibson?) you are comparing Aune to is also a head scratcher.

You are, of course, correct. Not sure why saying these things or calling someone a "weight room project" has to be viewed as a negative? They are simple opinions/observations/facts/etc. Doesn't mean you don't trust the coaches or that you think the kid won't be a star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken, Aune is the first football player from Highland Park to play for the Gophers since Tony Levine.

per Greder:

After impressing Minnesota coaches at a camp last Friday, Aune was offered a scholarship and gave an oral commitment late that night. He is set to become the first football player from a St. Paul public school on scholarship with the Gophers since Johnson running back Thomas Tapeh in 2003.

“I’m completely ecstatic about being a Gopher,” Aune told the Pioneer Press. “I’m really willing to work hard and make some people proud.”

Aune was recruited by former Gophers coach Tracy Claeys and his staff, but his list of offers until last week didn’t extend beyond six Football Championship Subdivision teams: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Montana State and Northern Iowa.

“It’s not to be negative, but if he were at a bigger school, maybe out in the suburbs, his recruiting — he would have had more offers,” said Highland Park football coach Dave Zeitchick. “We had to overcome those obstacles.”

Aune, who’s 6-foot-1 and 201 pounds, was originally given a two-star rating by recruiting services. He’s now up to three stars, the lowest-rated recruit thus far in the Gophers’ 2018 class. But his athleticism shone at the Nike Football’s The Opening Regional combine in Chicago in April — the eighth-rated player overall and second-rated defensive back.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/0...osh-aune-accepts-football-offer-from-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He is just the kind of player you'd love to have on your team.

Is GPA on a 5 point scale now?

Often, schools will give additional GPA points for honors classes. For instance, an "A" in an honors class might be worth 4.5 points on a student's GPA, whereas it's worth 4 points for non-honors classes.

Honors courses are on a different scale and are worth more.

Yep- some districts it's just AP classes that get the bump. Others might include any "honors" course.

What I hear from college admissions officers though is that the first thing they do is un-weight the grades so they can see what the GPA really is.

Is GPA on a 5 point scale now?

This one reminds me of my profile picture...."Why not make 4 the highest number on the scale and have that be a little be tougher?".... "Because this one goes to 5....."

Great hair - maybe there's room for him on the hoops team too

Nice to to see the Gophers buzz around our high school here [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303] especially since it’s not Cretin for once, ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But...back to Aune. He looks to be an impressive athlete dominating a bad conference. Similar to Jeff Jones in the sense he is dominating lower competitiom. I hope it translates to D1

Limiting mistakes is so key in College FB. Fleck era games have so far been smart and well disciplined. Aune looks like a fit.

WCCO: Highland Park’s Aune Holds Off On Gophers, For Now

It was a big decision; a lot to put on the plate of an eighth grader.

Where to go to school?

A talented football player with high potential, Josh Aune had to choose: stay home at St. Paul Highland Park — a good school, but not exactly a football factory — or go somewhere else more known for producing college prospects.

“Everybody has those thoughts throughout their high school career. But there was never a thought in my mind where I’d ever transfer out of Highland Park. The community here is so strong, my brother went to high school here, my little sister’s going to high school here, so I was always part of this community,” Aune said. “You’re going be found if you’re that good. If you’re a big fish in a small pond, they’re still going to find you.”

And next year, he will be the first St. Paul public school player on scholarship for the Minnesota Golden Gophers since Thomas Tapeh in 2003.

“That is an incredibly big deal to me. I have such a sense of pride in my community, and I felt so great being able to come back to school the next week after I got the scholarship and saying … ‘I did this, and it’s not just for me, I’m going to make the community proud.'”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/highland-parks-josh-aune/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom