DB Josh Aune Commits to the Gophers

Interesting offer. I wonder what position Fleck sees for him. Gotta be honest, it's kind of a head scratcher to me. Maybe bulk up to a linebacker?

This one seems to be completely out of the blue. Fleck and staff must have seen something like intangibles and a specific skill set that they found attractive. Very sure tackler and no quit in him that's for certain. Loved how he ran down the runner in the open field in the video.

Welcome Josh. Love those MN kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tweet from Kyle Goblirsch:

.@josh_aune816 had a top ten Nike Rating at the Chicago @TheOpening in April. Great all around athlete... #RTB

The next Blake Ca$hman?

The next Blake Ca$hman?

This is no rip on Blake (obviously he has turned out great), but the reason why Aune is a scholarship player and Cashman was not (initially) was that third or fourth highlight where he chased that RB down from behind. I think Aune is fast enough to play S in the Big 10. I'm not saying he will (I'd be he is a LB), but he looks like he has a more obvious D1 profile.

Welcome aboard Josh.

Interesting offer. I wonder what position Fleck sees for him. Gotta be honest, it's kind of a head scratcher to me. Maybe bulk up to a linebacker?

Actually, the recruiting staff, at least of couple of whom are still here, has been following him for 2 years, and he has looked good in earlier camps. He is not an unknown quantity.

Actually, the recruiting staff, at least of couple of whom are still here, has been following him for 2 years, and he has looked good in earlier camps. He is not an unknown quantity.

I never doubted the staff has followed him and obviously see something in him to offer him a scholarship at this stage. I guess it was him being labeled as a DB that threw me off. I just don't picture him playing safety in the big10, I question his speed and agility for that position. There isn't much in his hudl video showing him in pass defense.
I'm guessing they picture him bulking up from 200 pounds to play OLB, do I dare throw out #weightroomproject? He does clearly look like the best athlete on the field in his hudl video. Could have a bright future, but I don't think he's an early impact type, but if you're good enough to splash as a true freshman at linebacker you will probably be heavily recruited, like Carter Coughlin. The depth chart shapes up very nicely to take on this type of recruit too.

Gotta love armchair recruiting analysis. "This seems out of the blue." "This is a head-scratcher."

The kid is the same size ans speed as one of our 3* WR commits. He attended camp and got a scholarship. Isn't that what we want? Coaches evaluate film for two years, evaluate in camp and make an offer.

Welcome aboard Josh!

Kid looks great and versatile in the vids. St. Paul City is not a tough conference so the 2* makes sense. Will be fun to see how much bigger he gets and where they use him.

Kid looks great and versatile in the vids. St. Paul City is not a tough conference so the 2* makes sense. Will be fun to see how much bigger he gets and where they use him.

There hasn't been a St. Paul City conference in football since 2014.

Highland Park plays in Twin City Maroon District with Fridley, Southwest, Washburn, St. Anthony, St. Croix Lutheran, and Central.

There hasn't been a St. Paul City conference in football since 2014.

Highland Park plays in Twin City Maroon District with Fridley, Southwest, Washburn, St. Anthony, St. Croix Lutheran, and Central.

Thanks, forgot the shuffle...that's year my kids graduated and last time I actually looked at conferences. So how does this conference look? On paper, one good team and then a steady drop-off. Based on that, I'd have the same conference analysis.

Sorry to nit-pick, but there are no more "conferences" in HS FB in MN. The MSHSL, in all its wisdom.........brought in the "District" FB system a few years ago. All teams in the state are assigned to a District - and many break up into Sub-districts for purposes of scheduling. The goal is to have teams face opponents of similar size in the regular season. In the old conferences, you could have teams from 3 different classes, and some fairly lop-sided scores with bigger teams beating up on smaller teams.

So, We have District FB in MN. That is for the regular season only. For post-season play, teams are assigned to Sections, which may (or may not) be different than the Districts.

Hey - it's the MN State High School League. They could screw up a 1-car funeral.

Sorry to nit-pick, but there are no more "conferences" in HS FB in MN. The MSHSL, in all its wisdom.........brought in the "District" FB system a few years ago. All teams in the state are assigned to a District - and many break up into Sub-districts for purposes of scheduling. The goal is to have teams face opponents of similar size in the regular season. In the old conferences, you could have teams from 3 different classes, and some fairly lop-sided scores with bigger teams beating up on smaller teams.

So, We have District FB in MN. That is for the regular season only. For post-season play, teams are assigned to Sections, which may (or may not) be different than the Districts.

Hey - it's the MN State High School League. They could screw up a 1-car funeral.

I disagree about the district thing. The state does a decent job (at least in the metro) of evening out the districts by ability.

Highland Park and Central are much better off playing Washburn & Fridley, than playing Humboldt & Harding.

Too funny. Looks like they also re-arrange the deck chairs quite often as well.

I like this kid's junior video. He is a good blocker, takes good angles, is nasty, has good hands and good vision. The biggest knock would be very weak competition. His 4.7 speed won't cut it at safety. He looks taller than 6'1". Maybe Cashman is a good comparison (if he improves at the rate Blake did).

I coached a 2A team in Illinois that was in a conference with 6A and 7A teams. Our goal was to just win 3 games which would give us enough points to make the playoffs and finally play teams on our level. Nothing like standing on the sideline during the coin toss with 35 players, 15 of them sophomores and only 20 or so are varsity quality players and looking at 60 kids on the other sideline mostly juniors and seniors

I coached a 2A team in Illinois that was in a conference with 6A and 7A teams. Our goal was to just win 3 games which would give us enough points to make the playoffs and finally play teams on our level. Nothing like standing on the sideline during the coin toss with 35 players, 15 of them sophomores and only 20 or so are varsity quality players and looking at 60 kids on the other sideline mostly juniors and seniors

you must have kicked butt in the playoffs

Wow, and 2As around here complain about playing a 4A in Marshall.....

Gotta love armchair recruiting analysis. "This seems out of the blue." "This is a head-scratcher."

The kid is the same size ans speed as one of our 3* WR commits. He attended camp and got a scholarship. Isn't that what we want? Coaches evaluate film for two years, evaluate in camp and make an offer.

Welcome aboard Josh!

It was out of the blue. No one on here was talking about how we should offer this kid. Richter was out of the blue too. Obviously the staff spent time evaluating the players, doesn't mean it wasn't out of the blue to fans. Personally I think that wr (Erik Gibson?) you are comparing Aune to is also a head scratcher.

Top Bottom