TE Brevyn Spann-Ford‏ Commits to the Gophers

I watched him play in person at Rogers in the playoffs two weeks ago. He is clearly a freak athlete at that size and on the program he was listed at 6-7 240 lbs. To see him at WR was crazy and he really looked like a natural there except he did not have true blazing speed. Not saying he is slow but not freaky fast as a WR. He looked very good at OLB too. I thought he was dominant as a defender with those incredibly long arms the running backs just disappeared when they were in his grasp. The level of competition in that league, which I know well, is not bad and with ER and Rogers basically near the top of 5A but not the level of Eden Prairie. Still he looks crazy on the field and was fun to watch even though Rogers lost that game. St Cloud Tech has another D1 commit on that team #11 Kaszcor (NDSU) and together they were tough to stop but I noticed Elk River was able to bet them.

My Girlfriend is from ER, she says she was their bad luck charm because they were terrible during the 4 years she was there. Funny to see them turn it around in a relatively short time.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Who won?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ looks pretty focused! As was shown in the 4 part ESPN series, he doesn't take it easy on his kids so I wonder if he had the same mindset here? [emoji12]

PJ looks pretty focused! As was shown in the 4 part ESPN series, he doesn't take it easy on his kids so I wonder if he had the same mindset here? [emoji12]

He did get pinned by that kid wrestler on the Gopher tour during the off-season.
Maybe he just isn't good at wrestling though.

For some reason, I googled this kid today. He's definitely the best prospect to come from the area since Mr. Decker himself. Hopefully he puts it together!

He did get pinned by that kid wrestler on the Gopher tour during the off-season.
Maybe he just isn't good at wrestling though.

Forgot about that one.

On topic, since the Gophers didn't use the TE as a pass catcher much this season and Ciarocca didn't really use them that much at WM either. I believe if Brevyn puts on another 20 to 30 lbs. he would be one heck of a DE. Either that or he's going to have to get quicker/faster to play WR because I don't think his talents would be used well at the TE position in this offense.

Forgot about that one.

On topic, since the Gophers didn't use the TE as a pass catcher much this season and Ciarocca didn't really use them that much at WM either. I believe if Brevyn puts on another 20 to 30 lbs. he would be one heck of a DE. Either that or he's going to have to get quicker/faster to play WR because I don't think his talents would be used well at the TE position in this offense.

Could be a blocking TE.
We'll need a blocking TE.

And we might throw a pass into the end zone on 4th and one...

Love the idea of throwing to tight ends - just falling down they make three yards. They are a powerful tool we haven't used much since Maxx left.

Forgot about that one.

There is no reason that a talented TE can't be one of the, if not the, top receivers on the offense. Wisconsin's TE certainly had that type of year.

Even if he doesn't line up next to the OT with his hand in the dirt, he can still be an inside receiver and block and OLB in run plays.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at DE at some point.

If a kid proves to be good enough they will use the tight end they can always put him in motion and split him out doesn’t always have to line up as a TE.. but maybe they see potential as a DE too

There is no reason that a talented TE can't be one of the, if not the, top receivers on the offense. Wisconsin's TE certainly had that type of year.

Even if he doesn't line up next to the OT with his hand in the dirt, he can still be an inside receiver and block and OLB in run plays.

A TE can be the top receiver, but not in this offense. They were minimally used in the passing game this past season and going back to their WM days, they didn't use the TE there either.

A TE can be the top receiver, but not in this offense. They were minimally used in the passing game this past season and going back to their WM days, they didn't use the TE there either.

Maybe it had something to do with Lindgen being injured his last two years and Woz not being able to catch the ball. I like the role Woz played this year though. Nasty blocker.

Spann-Ford is also a heckuva basketball player. Brings the ball up the court regularly and is explosive when attacking the rim. Quick, agile and some straight line speed on the court. Translates well to football.

Spann-Ford is also a heckuva basketball player. Brings the ball up the court regularly and is explosive when attacking the rim. Quick, agile and some straight line speed on the court. Translates well to football.

I don't want dribbling the football.

per Greder:

Eric Decker, the Gophers’ all-time leading receiver, was with New York Jets in 2015 when he returned home to give a speech.

At the Central Minnesota Sports Awards in St. Cloud, Decker stressed the importance of savoring high school memories, like the ones he made as a 2005 gradate of Rocori High School in Cold Spring. St. Cloud Tech sophomore receiver Brevyn Spann-Ford was listening in the audience.

Two years later, Spann-Ford has committed to the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class and plans to sign a letter of intent on Wednesday. With his high school career blossoming, Spann-Ford and Decker are now linked in another way.

Gregg Martig, football coach at St. Cloud Tech the past 23 years, gave the lofty, and possibly too-easy, comparison between Spann-Ford and Decker, who holds many Gophers records, including career receptions (227) and yards (3,119).

“I would say Decker was a little bit more a front-line fast wide receiver, but in terms of overall where were they are at in their senior year, I would say Brevyn is a little bit ahead of where (Decker) was,” Martig said. “I think Decker really advanced at the U.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/1...vyn-spann-ford-and-former-u-star-eric-decker/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom