running plays

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I thought the running plays were very predictable today with very little deception. They also seemed to be very slow in developing. Hope that changes in the future.

I thought the running game looked pretty decent. I thought they didn't use Bennett enough, and Eskridge too much.

misdirection

I just thought there should be some deception at times. All their runs were pretty much hold the ball out there and let everyone see where it is going.

I was not impressed and actually disappointed. But I'm a big Pound the Rock guy and don't have a lot of confidence in the OL.

The three carries by Bennett of 8 yards each in the last drive looked darn good though.

Why keep running at the strength of their D?

What frustrated me was that Fisch kept calling runs up the middle...right into their best player and the strength of their D. When he ran outside, they had much more success, e.g. the Bennett TD. On that play Wills and the TE just collapsed the DL and clogged up the LBs as well.

I hope that Jedd finds his rhythm and makes better adjustments in the future.

In the end it was a dismal offensive day yet we still went over a hundred on the ground. I was dissapointed in all the first down passing and all the 2-10 running. I expected the run to be more of a focal point. i think our game plan that never materialized because of webers inaccuracy was to establish the pass to get cuse on their heels and then run, because I think they wanted to take some pressure off the run as we develop it. But didn't work out because we sucked.

It amazes me how little football knowledge people have. They run zone schemes almost all the time (as do most teams in college and the NFL). The ball is held out the way it is on purpose. The defense flows to the ball and, if the OL does their job, there are cutback lanes available. The RBs need to find those lanes. I saw at least three opportunities to cut back that the RBs missed. The scheme is not the issue.

As for where they run, you need to think that through as well. If you run outside every time, the LBs will just line up wider and flow to the ball. They need to "pound the rock" inside in order to open up the outside. They did that, but the RBs missed some spots. Still, they were effective enough in all of this to open up the passing game later on.

Do your homework before you start bashing to work of professionals.

It amazes me how little football knowledge people have. They run zone schemes almost all the time (as do most teams in college and the NFL). The ball is held out the way it is on purpose. The defense flows to the ball and, if the OL does their job, there are cutback lanes available. The RBs need to find those lanes. I saw at least three opportunities to cut back that the RBs missed. The scheme is not the issue.

As for where they run, you need to think that through as well. If you run outside every time, the LBs will just line up wider and flow to the ball. They need to "pound the rock" inside in order to open up the outside. They did that, but the RBs missed some spots. Still, they were effective enough in all of this to open up the passing game later on.

Do your homework before you start bashing to work of professionals.

We need more posters like you.......

If you pound the rock

You need a base play. The play you can run and beat any defense. You can tell them you are running it and you still execute it. It could be the quick pitch off of zone or man blocking. In the Syracuse game, they used a zone scheme. In the fall practice man. But twice they have run the pitch sweep successfully to the right behind Carufel, Wills, & Tow Arnett. The sweep is run in the alley between the tightend and the pulling guard or sideline. And when you pound the rock, you run it again, and again, and again, and again until they stop it. Then you insert the counter off a pitch sweep right. That's play progression. You also run Hoese on a fullback trap off Pitchsweep action to keep linebackers honest. Maybe an Iso. Maybe sprint draw. Then back to another version of power pitch right.

You need a base play. The play you can run and beat any defense. You can tell them you are running it and you still execute it. It could be the quick pitch off of zone or man blocking. In the Syracuse game, they used a zone scheme. In the fall practice man. But twice they have run the pitch sweep successfully to the right behind Carufel, Wills, & Tow Arnett. The sweep is run in the alley between the tightend and the pulling guard or sideline. And when you pound the rock, you run it again, and again, and again, and again until they stop it. Then you insert the counter off a pitch sweep right. That's play progression. You also run Hoese on a fullback trap off Pitchsweep action to keep linebackers honest. Maybe an Iso. Maybe sprint draw. Then back to another version of power pitch right.

I agree that you need a base play. They have it: inside zone. The multiple offense they are running runs the same play from multiple formations. Thus, they ran the same play a lot, but just from different looks. The "counter" that they have off of it is a PA boot, rather than a counter run. I agree with the X's and O's of what you are saying, but only in a different type of offense. We are not trying to run the ball 80% of the game. It is just a different plan. Not good, not bad, just different. It worked in the 2nd half because Weber started completing passes. It did not work in the 1st half because the passes were not completed.

Bennett average 4.9 yards/carry yesterday. He was solid. Eskridge 3.6 yards/carry... not so solid. Bennett needs to get all the carries, but he can't stay on the field.

Can't remember any misdirection plays, either. Running straight ahead on 3rd and one and 4th and one at their 40 made no sense. How about misdirection or a pitchout or a QB bootleg?

Top Bottom