Oregon State and Homecoming Game Time Announced - Gophersports

It's a big reason why the Wild were happy the NHL realigned divisions though. They had way too many 9pm games out west (hurts TV ratings).

Oh man that was terrible. It felt like weeks without a shot at seeing much of them...

Not a huge fan of the late kickoff vs. OSU for two reasons:

1. I don't know how much there is to do in Corvallis to chew up Friday evening AND all day (and night) Saturday. Might have to re-think the path to Corvallis from Portland leading up to game day. Nebraska is playing Oregon down the road in Eugene at 1:30 - might look into a doubleheader.

2. Night games help the home crowd. The Beavers will be fired up for this one, and I had already penciled in a loss here. I don't think it will be a "bloodbath," but they are close to being a bowl team again, and last year's game was already a close one even though the Gophers were the more talented squad.

But hey, an afternoon game for Homecoming? I'll take that.

Spend the day meandering through wine Country on your way from Portland to Corvalis. Most wineries close at 4, a few at 5 and the most southern good ones are near Salem (Eola Hills- Amity AVA) and leave only a 45" drive to Corvalis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend the day meandering through wine Country on your way from Portland to Corvalis. Most wineries close at 4, a few at 5 and the most southern good ones are near Salem (Eola Hills- Amity AVA) and leave only a 45" drive to Corvalis.

Not a wino, but there are plenty of breweries along the coast. Might just head to Astoria on Friday morning and work my way down to Newport (Rogue).

Is a 100% too high to predict the Gophers lose to Oregon State? #1 We will be sleep walking. The boys are in bed by 9 or 10pm each night to be at the facility by 6am. You don't just alter those sleep patterns after flying across the country and perform at an elite level. #2 NFL teams flying across multiple time zones to play on the road are at a proven distinct disadvantage for body clock etc adjustments already...for day games. #3 The night atmosphere at Oregon State is a challenge all by itself. #4 First road game for new staff and team.
Shock me Gophers, win the game!

Is a 100% too high to predict the Gophers lose to Oregon State? #1 We will be sleep walking. The boys are in bed by 9 or 10pm each night to be at the facility by 6am. You don't just alter those sleep patterns after flying across the country and perform at an elite level. #2 NFL teams flying across multiple time zones to play on the road are at a proven distinct disadvantage for body clock etc adjustments already...for day games. #3 The night atmosphere at Oregon State is a challenge all by itself. #4 First road game for new staff and team.

They did ok traveling west for the Holiday Bowl although they had a few days to adjust. IMO it would be smart to curtail the early morning practices for a couple weeks and let the guys become night owls again but I'm not a zen master like Fleck. Maybe he can solve riddles at midnight, 2-3 hours past bedtime but I know I'm not at my prime.

ESPN and its sister channels typically run late afternoon kickoffs at 2:30 CT, BTN as well more often than not. Fox and Fox Sports 1 typically go with 3:00 CT. Fox now has half the Big Ten package. I'm just happy to have a late afternoon kickoff for homecoming, no matter which network airs the game.

ESPN and its sister channels typically run late afternoon kickoffs at 2:30 CT, BTN as well more often than not. Fox and Fox Sports 1 typically go with 3:00 CT. Fox now has half the Big Ten package. I'm just happy to have a late afternoon kickoff for homecoming, no matter which network airs the game.

Yup, and that's why the kickoff time of the Homecoming game is unknown.

It's the second game of the season, they will have plenty of Fleck imposed energy to get them an easy win!

I feel we are one small step away from expecting the Gophers to win this game being "unrealistic".

A night game road kickoff reminds me of UNLV a few years back, or most vividly... tuning into Aggievision.

A night game road kickoff reminds me of UNLV a few years back, or most vividly... tuning into Aggievision.

Aggievision. That is an all time classic.

I feel we are one small step away from expecting the Gophers to win this game being "unrealistic".

No kidding.

Playing the game at night shouldn't be a surprise. A lot of Pac-12 teams play night games. The Beavers play a lot of their home games at night. Some road games too. Including the one last year at TCF

That game had an 8:00pm start. Only an hour earlier than game time this year. TV set that time, same as they did this year. If the Gophers play them again, gotta hope for a 11:00am(Central) kick-off at TCF. That's what Eastern Time Zone teams try and do when Pac-12 teams show up there.

The game last year was a close one. Either team could have won. Same as this year. Except this time it won't be the opening game for either time.

Apparently, unike a lot of people, I'm gonna go with Fleck and the Gophers in this one.

Cal came to MN and had to play an 11am game (9am for them). They performed just fine.

Expecting a win, acceptable.

Being super sure about a win... not sure where that would be coming from considering everything.

#1 We will be sleep walking. The boys are in bed by 9 or 10pm each night to be at the facility by 6am. You don't just alter those sleep patterns after flying across the country and perform at an elite level.

HAHAHA

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160614133619.htm

You of course have no clue all these things are researched or that decisions have a cause and effect...positive or negative. "Evening games show greatest disadvantage for teams traveling westward" Coaching preparation isn't limited to a 90 minute practice plan. The line for winning and losing is absolutely only separated by a whole bunch of tiny points of emphasis and decisions. If you ignore too many, you'll lose, focus on the wrong ones, you'll lose. Laugh at em, don't respect the other guy and you're almost guaranteed to be embarrassed.

The results of this study highlight the importance of the direction of the circadian disadvantage on the probability of success.

"These results highlight the importance of circadian rhythms in sport performance. They also raise concerns about well-established practices such as early training sessions and late-night athletic competitions and the possible negative effects on performance and health," said co-author, Geneviève Forest, PhD, Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO). "These results show that the effect of the circadian disadvantage transcends the type of sport being played and needs to be addressed for greater equity among the western and eastern teams in professional sports."

I can add first hand coaching experience, fighting to change the culture of a million reasons some schools always win and some schools always lose.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160614133619.htm

You of course have no clue all these things are researched or that decisions have a cause and effect...positive or negative. "Evening games show greatest disadvantage for teams traveling westward" Coaching preparation isn't limited to a 90 minute practice plan. The line for winning and losing is absolutely only separated by a whole bunch of tiny points of emphasis and decisions. If you ignore too many, you'll lose, focus on the wrong ones, you'll lose. Laugh at em, don't respect the other guy and you're almost guaranteed to be embarrassed.

The results of this study highlight the importance of the direction of the circadian disadvantage on the probability of success.

"These results highlight the importance of circadian rhythms in sport performance. They also raise concerns about well-established practices such as early training sessions and late-night athletic competitions and the possible negative effects on performance and health," said co-author, Geneviève Forest, PhD, Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO). "These results show that the effect of the circadian disadvantage transcends the type of sport being played and needs to be addressed for greater equity among the western and eastern teams in professional sports."

I can add first hand coaching experience, fighting to change the culture of a million reasons some schools always win and some schools always lose.

You act like they'll have the same schedule the week of that game. You don't think they'll have them adjusting to that time difference a few days before? Also, cool story on first hand coaching experience. When were you a D1 coach?

He's simply making a valid point that's it might make a small (and apparently scientifically validated) difference to have your body poorly adjusted for a given task. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Listen, there are merits to the affects of traveling to the west coast for games but I personally don't see it as a big deal, especially in a sport like football, either NFL or college level, where you have almost a full week to prepare guys (actually over a full week in our case since we will be playing the previous Thursday, not Saturday) to adjust compared to the MLB, NHL and NBA where teams don't have that luxury of having time to prepare for it and are often playing the next day.

I read a post that essentially stated the number one reason why we lose the game is due to lack of sleep, not anything related to the actual talent or coaching abilities of either team, which I found to be ridiculous. Could it play a factor, sure I guess, though the number 1 reason? Come on

Listen, there are merits to the affects of traveling to the west coast for games but I personally don't see it as a big deal, especially in a sport like football, either NFL or college level, where you have almost a full week to prepare guys (actually over a full week in our case since we will be playing the previous Thursday, not Saturday) to adjust compared to the MLB, NHL and NBA where teams don't have that luxury of having time to prepare for it and are often playing the next day.

I read a post that essentially stated the number one reason why we lose the game is due to lack of sleep, not anything related to the actual talent or coaching abilities of either team, which I found to be ridiculous. Could it play a factor, sure I guess, though the number 1 reason? Come on

Did you not read the links that have been lasted about this? There is a non-negligible effect on a team's ability to cover the point spread comparing day games to night games, which correlates with common sense.

Excellence is in the details. Is it a huge factor? Hard to quantify. Is it a factor? Seems to be.

I really don't like our chances at OSU at night. They have a tremendous home field advantage - this may be a bloodbath.

I count 11-15 last 4 years. Would they have been 0-26 without hfa?

There's a hell of a lot larger reasons for why Gopher football isn't paid attention to than the start time of our game against Oregon State.

And once again, it's a Saturday night. I get that it ends late but if you can't stay up until midnight on a weekend, well insert joke about all of our fanbase being 60+ here
The young ones are making eyes at each other between 9 and 1. We aren't as popular as skirts in hot weather.

Did you not read the links that have been lasted about this? There is a non-negligible effect on a team's ability to cover the point spread comparing day games to night games, which correlates with common sense.

Excellence is in the details. Is it a huge factor? Hard to quantify. Is it a factor? Seems to be.

I agree, but the part in bold seems to be a failure on the odds-makers and their inability to factor this in.

I agree, but the part in bold seems to be a failure on the odds-makers and their inability to factor this in.

Im sure they're aware. It doesn't change the fact the team should try to match their body clock to the time zone they will be performing in as much as possible. Ultimately we're trying to win the game not cover a faulty or not faulty spread.

I didn't disagree there was an affect. Once again, I pointed out that it being the #1 reason we will struggle there is what I thought was laughable

We'll just have to give the players a bunch of amphetamines to keep them alert for the game. Or have everyone chug 2 or 3 Red Bulls before kickoff and at halftime.

FWIW, I was driving back from a HS playoff baseball game this afternoon at about 3:00pm, and I was so freakin' tired that I was all over the road. I can attest that Rumble Strips get your attention. It's a good thing traffic was light.

I will be at the game (staying in Newport for some hiking in the area), should I bring a pillow?

Top Bottom