Oregon State and Homecoming Game Time Announced - Gophersports

Iceland12

Reaction score
The Illini game time has been "mostly" announced.

The Gophers now know when two of their games during the 2017 season will begin, as start times for Minnesota’s home game against Illinois and road game at Oregon State were announced today.

Minnesota’s 97th Homecoming game – but first with P.J. Fleck as head coach – will take place on Oct. 21 against Illinois. That game will start at either 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. An exact start time and broadcast information will be announced in the future.

The Gophers are 57-36-3 all-time in Homecoming games and have won their last three contests (39-38 victory against Purdue in 2014; 27-24 against Ohio in 2015 and 34-32 against Rutgers in 2016). Minnesota is 5-4-1 all-time against Illinois on Homecoming and the schools last met on Homecoming in 2007. The Gophers last beat Illinois on Homecoming in 2004, when they won 45-0.

Minnesota’s first road game under Fleck will take place on Sept. 9 at Oregon State. The game will kick at 9 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on FS1. Minnesota is 3-1 all-time against Oregon State with all four games previously being played in Minneapolis. The Gophers topped the Beavers 30-23 last season at TCF Bank Stadium to open the season.

Season tickets for the 2017 season are on sale now and can be purchased here.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/053117aaa.html

Illinois and Oregon State Game Times

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That game will start at either 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m.

They're holding off deciding the difference of 30 min?

74d.jpg

Any word on the announcers yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't like our chances at OSU at night. They have a tremendous home field advantage - this may be a bloodbath.

Hope you aren't one of the folks complaining about casual fans not paying attention to the team! 9pm starts aren't the way to capture those folks.

There's a hell of a lot larger reasons for why Gopher football isn't paid attention to than the start time of our game against Oregon State.

And once again, it's a Saturday night. I get that it ends late but if you can't stay up until midnight on a weekend, well insert joke about all of our fanbase being 60+ here

The concept of different time zones is devastating our fan base!

I really don't like our chances at OSU at night. They have a tremendous home field advantage - this may be a bloodbath.

It's OREGON state, not Ohio State or Oklahoma State. We'll be ok.

It's OREGON state, not Ohio State or Oklahoma State. We'll be ok.

Too funny. There are far too many times I have to stop and question is this person serious or, no? The flock of Fleckers have worked themselves into a lather of worry over MTSU and OSU. Wait until we play some really good teams! I don't have anything invested in the cult of personality going on so I'm going to enjoy the ride and hope for the best for the team and the fellas and watch them get better every week. That's football.

Too funny. There are far too many times I have to stop and question is this person serious or, no? The flock of Fleckers have worked themselves into a lather of worry over MTSU and OSU. Wait until we play some really good teams! I don't have anything invested in the cult of personality going on so I'm going to enjoy the ride and hope for the best for the team and the fellas and watch them get better every week. That's football.

Since I'm often grouped in with these people, let me defend myself. I'm not worried about the nonconference schedule. I'm even one of the few who would probably take Minnesota -31 against Buffalo. We'll probably get through the nonconference comfortably. But I don't think that'll be the case for Fleck and staff in Year 1 in the Big Ten.

Do we have what it takes to win five Big Ten games? It's only been done here four times since 1991. That's what it will take for the 8 wins some people are demanding for Year 1 to not be a failure. And that's only if we go 4-0 in nonconference. If one nonconference loss, have to win 6 in Big Ten play which hasn't been done since 1973.

I think most people would be satisfied with a 6-8 win Bowl team and signs of progress as the season goes on. Bloodbath defeats will not be greeted kindly. Same with sloppy play. Beat Wisconsin and I'll build the 150 foot tall monolithic statue.

If the wheels come off and 1-4 wins, the defense gives up 35 points a game, well you have to accept the boobirds will be out. That's reality but it also makes the rise from the ashes pretty fun. Tell me 2012-2014 weren't pretty fun seasons overall. It's all about recency effect and personal expectations.

Since I'm often grouped in with these people, let me defend myself. I'm not worried about the nonconference schedule. I'm even one of the few who would probably take Minnesota -31 against Buffalo. We'll probably get through the nonconference comfortably. But I don't think that'll be the case for Fleck and staff in Year 1 in the Big Ten.

Do we have what it takes to win five Big Ten games? It's only been done here four times since 1991. That's what it will take for the 8 wins some people are demanding for Year 1 to not be a failure. And that's only if we go 4-0 in nonconference. If one nonconference loss, have to win 6 in Big Ten play which hasn't been done since 1973.

Some good points. The only caveat would be that this is only the 2nd season with 9 Conference games. Prior to last year all those other teams only had 8 chances to get to five wins.

Coincidentally, last season they got to 5 Conference wins in their first 8 games.

On the bright side, at least our homecoming game is not at 11:00 a.m, which seems to have been the case in recent years. An afternoon start means warmer temperatures, more time for tailgating, and probably a larger crowd; plus, the students can sleep in.

Fine - you got me. I was kind of chuckling to myself when I typed "bloodbath." I still stand by my claim that a night game @ OSU is an intimidating environment. I remember in the years when Oregon had strong, contending teams there was usually a worry about going into Corvallis because of the atmosphere there. Obviously, being an in-state rivalry probably impacted that a lot but I'm still somewhat worried about this game and wouldn't be surprised if the line is within 3 points either way. "Bloodbath" was just ridiculous hyperbole.

I hear you. I recall the glory years when Jacquizz Rodgers and company slayed a cocky USC team in Corvallis. As we saw last year they will not be pushovers but there is every reason to think it should be a competitive game. Gary Anderson is a good coach and I was impressed with how they knew what we liked to do on defense and took advantage of those tendencies. In all honesty this could be a turning point type of game for both teams and their fans.

Only our fan base would complain about having to stay up a bit past midnight to watch a west coast game on a Saturday night.

Yikes is right

I guarantee there would be fans in every B1G school that would complain about the 9pm start.

It's time for the U to take a stand and not schedule anyone west of the Mississippi.
Take a hike, Nebraska and Iowa.

Only our fan base would complain about having to stay up a bit past midnight to watch a west coast game on a Saturday night.

Yikes is right

9pm not ideal but oh well - it's part of the deal with playing a game out west.

It's a big reason why the Wild were happy the NHL realigned divisions though. They had way too many 9pm games out west (hurts TV ratings).

Top Bottom