STrib: Gophers ramping up satellite camp recruiting under P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck plans to have his staff hit four recruiting hotbeds – Chicago, Houston, Atlanta and Canton, Ohio – on next month’s satellite camp circuit.

The satellite camps are football prospect showcases hosted by smaller colleges, which have invited the Gophers coaches to come take part.

Previous Gophers coaches Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys had staff members attend a few satellite camps but weren’t big proponents of the trend. The NCAA briefly banned coaches from working at camps away from their school this April before lifting the ban a few weeks later.

Fleck’s first satellite camp will be June 6 at North Central College in the Chicago suburb of Naperville. North Central’s advertisement says the camp “will feature instruction from P.J. Fleck and the University of Minnesota coaching staff.”

On June 12, Gophers coaches are scheduled to be at the University of West Georgia in the Atlanta suburb of Carrollton, Ga. On June 19, Gophers coaches and Colorado coaches will be on hand at Houston Baptist for a camp, and on June 20, Gophers coaches will be at Walsh University in Canton.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...385283/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

I wish he did a few of these in California. We lack big time when it comes to west coast recruiting...

Wow! I guess we got some of that new portable video recording gear. We are goin' on the road now!

Anyone know who the coaches will be in Houston? How would I give them a heads up for a specific attendee?

Previous Gophers coaches Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys had staff members attend a few satellite camps but weren’t big proponents of the trend.

I don't understand why they weren't big proponents. For all Tracy talked about how hard it is to get kids up here, you'd think they'd look into any recruiting tool they could.

I don't understand why they weren't big proponents. For all Tracy talked about how hard it is to get kids up here, you'd think they'd look into any recruiting tool they could.

I think sometimes it is a question of how much time in a day you have. Coaches work crazy hours and put time in where they can. Just can't do all the things, particularly if you're not getting a return out of it.

it might have had something to do with the budgets they were working with under Kill. I also think both had a more "old school" approach and weren't as open to it as some coaches who do a better job of recruiting and are more in tune with today's kids. My guess is Fleck, with the resources of a Jim Harbaugh would hold spring camp on the moon if he could do it. I doubt Kill or Claeys ever would have done something that unorthodox (look this post up in 10 years and we can all laugh that satellite camps didn't used to be "a thing".

Thanks greatly! I got just the right elite kid for our Gophers!

Out of curiosity, what position does he play? Could use some D tackles... and maybe he's not rated yet but we could use a 4 star too [emoji846] best of luck to him and I hope it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, what position does he play? Could use some D tackles... and maybe he's not rated yet but we could use a 4 star too [emoji846] best of luck to him and I hope it works out!

The young man just finished his junior year at Stratford High School in Houston, TX. Has started at QB since his freshman year. He was on every schools radar his freshman year but had a freak knee injury, long story short....he has had four surgeries since his freshman year and just got lost among power five programs. He has missed the last two summers of camps and 7 on 7 competition. Essentially played his sophomore and junior years on one leg. The kid is an absolute stud but just under the radar. Ranked number one in his class, Outstanding Male student his junior year, unbelievable football IQ as well.

You will notice a knee brace during most of the highlights, thus the lack of his normal mobility.

https://vimeo.com/205996338

Too much work. Lazy.

Too much work. Lazy.

Yeah, imagine how many games they would've won if they weren't so 'lazy".

Oh, and college football coaching is a profession that attracts lots of "lazy" people. Good call!

Yeah, imagine how many games they would've won if they weren't so 'lazy".

Oh, and college football coaching is a profession that attracts lots of "lazy" people. Good call!

Probably 10 or 11. Also - there is no "they." Only Claeys was lazy - in fact he said how he liked to be at home on his couch, relaxing every night. "Lazy" may be harsh because I'm sure he worked very hard during the time-frame that he felt necessary. He just wasn't a crazy workaholic that D1 head coaches seemingly need to be. Very smart guy, but I don't think he was willing to put in the work necessary. Glad he is gone.

Probably 10 or 11. Also - there is no "they." Only Claeys was lazy - in fact he said how he liked to be at home on his couch, relaxing every night. "Lazy" may be harsh because I'm sure he worked very hard during the time-frame that he felt necessary. He just wasn't a crazy workaholic that D1 head coaches seemingly need to be. Very smart guy, but I don't think he was willing to put in the work necessary. Glad he is gone.

Yes, in fact, it was "they". Read the post you quoted and responded to.

A guy likes to unwind and be on his couch for an hour or two at night, and that makes him "lazy"? So he could work 5 am to 7 pm, go home and sit on the couch until he goes to bed, and that makes him "lazy". Wow.

And how would you know how much of a workaholic he is/was? Were you shadowing him at the office and seeing how many hours he put in and what he was doing?

For those of us that don't know, please educate me on how many hours a day TC worked and how many most D1 head coaches work. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom