STrib Q&A: New Gophers freshman Jamir Harris brings shooting and leadership

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: Will you and Isaiah Washington be roommates?

A: Yeah we’re pretty sure we’re rooming together. He’s not going to be there exactly the same time (arrives June 10) as me. But he’ll be coming shortly after. It definitely helps because I know him. I’m already comfortable with (Gophers junior guard) Dupree McBrayer. I played with him in high school. That helps as well. Coming into college with another freshman I’m real cool with that’s going to definitely help. We can both learn the ropes together as freshmen.

Q: You were like the big man on campus at Patrick School because of your leadership on and off the court. Why was that so important to you?

A: I take pride in having that role for a lot of people. I feel like I’m a true leader. I’m extremely vocal. My team's best interest is all I have in mind. I think about my teammates way before I think about myself. I just try to make sure my teammates are (on the same page). I don’t have a problem talking on defense. Some guys think they’re too cool to talk on defense. You have to be vocal. Even if you’re not involved in a screen and roll, you have to yell to your fellow guard if a big man isn’t calling the screen out. You can call it out for them. I take pride in doing things like that, just being vocal. I’m always letting my teammates know I’m there. That’s a big part of being a leader. As far as school, I hold myself to a high standard. I’m very respectful. I take pride in hearing compliments from people who say I’m respectful and how their younger sons and daughters look up to me. It makes me want to stay motivated and stay humble. I’m very humble. You ask anybody and they’ll tell you I never get out of character or act in the slightest way cocky or like I have a big head. Some people at times tell me I should be more cocky and arrogant. But that’s not me. I really take pride in having a positive impact on people in that way. It motivates me to want to work harder and continue to be successful. My determination, the impact of others on me and my family makes me want to be more successful, stay level headed and have tunnel vision on my task at hand to be a great college player.

Q: Are you going to try to become a member of the Jelly Fam since you’re rooming with Isaiah Washington this year? (Washington created the Jelly Fam movement with friends in New York City by naming a flashy finger roll layup).

A: Nah. I really don’t need to be in the Jelly Fam (Harris said laughing). Me and Isaiah are cool. But that’s really not my thing. I don’t really Jelly like that. Guys that are in that group are really professionals with that. They do it well. That really isn’t my thing. I’m going to stick to shooting that ball, knocking shots down and getting it out of the bottom of the net.

http://www.startribune.com/new-goph...ris-brings-shooting-and-leadership/424787223/

Go Gophers!!

I love the attitude. All about the team. Just trying to be himself and contribute.

Well grounded young man. It will be nice to watch his continued development over the next years.

Top Bottom