BTN: Ranking Week 2 Games (6. Minnesota at Oregon State)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

A trip to Oregon State will be a nice test for Minnesota and new coach P.J. Fleck. The Gophers beat the Beavers last year. Expect Oregon State to be improved under Gary Andersen, the former Wisconsin coach who won two games his first year in Corvallis and four last season. This will be Minnesota’s first trip to Oregon State, as the four previous meetings all were in Minneapolis. The Gophers are 3-1.

Ranking the games of Week Two
1. Oklahoma at Ohio State
2. Nebraska at Oregon
3. Pitt at Penn State
4. Iowa at Iowa State
5. Northwestern at Duke
6. Minnesota at Oregon State
7. Indiana at Virginia
8. Cincinnati at Michigan
9. Western Michigan at Michigan State
10. Ohio at Purdue (Friday)
11. Western Kentucky at Illinois
12. Florida Atlantic at Wisconsin
13. Eastern Michigan at Rutgers
14. Towson at Maryland

http://btn.com/2017/05/25/best-of-week-2-marquee-matchups-highlight-deep-second-week-of-2017/

Go Gophers!!

Rodent Bowl IV

Nervous about this one, supposedly terrible team, we beat them by all of 7 last year at home.

I'd move Eastern MI vs Rutgers up. No love lost between those two teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd move Eastern MI vs Rutgers up. No love lost between those two teams.

Agreed. It's one of those games where no matter each teams record (in this case, likely 0-1) you know both teams will leave it all out on the field against each other.

Go Gophers!!

Rodent Bowl IV

Nervous about this one, supposedly terrible team, we beat them by all of 7 last year at home.

Keys to Victory:

1. Avoid 3 botched snaps
2. Avoid botched snaps that lead to safeties
3. When Ryan Nall leaks out of the backfield on 3rd and forever...it's a screen.
4. Avoid muffed punts
5. Avoid three targeting ejections

Keys to Victory:

1. Avoid 3 botched snaps
2. Avoid botched snaps that lead to safeties
3. When Ryan Nall leaks out of the backfield on 3rd and forever...it's a screen.
4. Avoid muffed punts
5. Avoid three targeting ejections

Regarding muffed punts.... don't catch punts while falling down, doesn't seem to work.

Regarding muffed punts.... don't catch punts while falling down, doesn't seem to work.

We came away with the W and that's all that really matters in the end but man, it's easy to forget what a comedy of errors that game was. The pre-snap penalties, the muff, the moonshot snaps. It would have made the night complete to see something like this. I love the conviction of this guy while he's running the ball. LOOK. AT. HIM. GO!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_IKXzI7EHms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<b>We came away with the W and that's all that really matters in the end </b>but man, it's easy to forget what a comedy of errors that game was. The pre-snap penalties, the muff, the moonshot snaps. It would have made the night complete to see something like this. I love the conviction of this guy while he's running the ball. LOOK. AT. HIM. GO!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_IKXzI7EHms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now, you must be trolling.......
/s

Another key to victory is don't be so predictable on offense. We ran 47 times to 26 passes. I know it was the first game but Mitch was a senior QB. He should have been able to contribute more in the passing game than 130 yards.

We came away with the W and that's all that really matters in the end but man, it's easy to forget what a comedy of errors that game was. The pre-snap penalties, the muff, the moonshot snaps. It would have made the night complete to see something like this. I love the conviction of this guy while he's running the ball. LOOK. AT. HIM. GO!

And they still tackle him....

Dead tired men tell no tales

West Coast teams have a huge advantage in night games

In a study from Harvard's Roger S. Smith, a research group looked at night games played between East and West Coast teams. It looked at 106 games from 1970-2011 between teams on Pacific time and teams on Eastern time that started at 8 p.m. or later. These were compared against 293 games that started at 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. between East and West Coast teams.

So what happened? The West Coast teams went 70-36 against the spread in the evening games and 143-150 in daytime games. This is a huge difference, and extremely unlikely to be just random chance. It's also not weighed down by ancient games. The study broke the late games into two sets, ones ranging from 1970-1994 (64 games) and ones from 1995-2011 (42 games). Both sets showed a similarly strong effect, with the more recent group of games even slightly more certain. The study didn't look at games between other regions—so no Mountain time vs. Eastern, or Central vs. Pacific.

http://deadspin.com/west-coast-nfl-teams-have-a-huge-advantage-in-night-gam-1475690606

Dead tired men tell no tales

West Coast teams have a huge advantage in night games

In a study from Harvard's Roger S. Smith, a research group looked at night games played between East and West Coast teams. It looked at 106 games from 1970-2011 between teams on Pacific time and teams on Eastern time that started at 8 p.m. or later. These were compared against 293 games that started at 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. between East and West Coast teams.

So what happened? The West Coast teams went 70-36 against the spread in the evening games and 143-150 in daytime games. This is a huge difference, and extremely unlikely to be just random chance. It's also not weighed down by ancient games. The study broke the late games into two sets, ones ranging from 1970-1994 (64 games) and ones from 1995-2011 (42 games). Both sets showed a similarly strong effect, with the more recent group of games even slightly more certain. The study didn't look at games between other regions—so no Mountain time vs. Eastern, or Central vs. Pacific.

http://deadspin.com/west-coast-nfl-teams-have-a-huge-advantage-in-night-gam-1475690606

From the article: The study didn't look at games between other regions—so no Mountain time vs. Eastern, or Central vs. Pacific.
Good thing we are from the central AND we are a college team.:p

Yeah I saw that but since the game starts at 7 Pacific time that's the same as a game that starts at 6 PST for an east coast team (which was included in the study). Add in the fact these guys are probably asleep by 10 or 11 CST due to the team schedule and it could exacerbate the effect. I'm not predicting catastrophe, but I found the study somewhat interesting. It's part of gamesmanship.

Top Bottom