SI: Ranking major college football teams by prestige (Gophers in "Peasants" category)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
SI: Ranking major college football teams by prestige (Gophers in "Peasants" category)

per SI:

Peasants (lowest tier)

Arizona
Boston College
Duke
Indiana
Iowa State
Kansas
Kentucky
Minnesota
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Purdue
Rutgers
Wake Forest
Washington State
Vanderbilt

My lowest tier pared down from 20 to a more exclusive 15 not so much because of promotions but because four former Big East schools (Cincinnati, USF, Connecticut and Temple) fell off this list entirely.

My guess is fans with the biggest beef will be those of Mississippi State, given it’s just three years removed from debuting at No. 1 in the first-ever selection committee rankings. No question, Dak Prescott led the Bulldogs on a glorious two-season run … but it was just that, two seasons.

https://www.si.com/college-football...r-rankings-prestige?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Go Gophers!!

According to the article, this is based on the last five years only. How in the hell is Miami ranked in the first group?

According to the article, this is based on the last five years only. How in the hell is Miami ranked in the first group?

Any changes since 2012 are based on the last five years, but the results are based on Mandel's perception of the programs as a whole.

Virginia has ONE season at .500 or better over the last 9 seasons. Yet they are a tier above?

Illinois has FOUR winnings seasons in this century, but they are a tier above? Yes they had a fluke Rose Bowl appearance (9-3, 6-2 record got them there, how often does that happen?)

Virginia has ONE season at .500 or better over the last 9 seasons. Yet they are a tier above?

Illinois has FOUR winnings seasons in this century, but they are a tier above? Yes they had a fluke Rose Bowl appearance (9-3, 6-2 record got them there, how often does that happen?)

These were also the two I had the most problem with. Not saying the Gophers should be moved up, as there are programs in our tier that are better than us, but Illinois has been ludicrously terrible lately

And here I thought my family left behind serfdom centuries ago.

I wouldn't argue where the Gophers are. But then I look at the "Knights" and see teams that our equals. Colorado, Illinois, Northwestern, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, for starters. Probably Maryland and maybe North Carolina State.

Mandel says you need to look at this every five years. We're certainly on par with these teams over the past five years, and we're on par with a few of them for much longer than that.

I wouldn't argue where the Gophers are. But then I look at the "Knights" and see teams that our equals. Colorado, Illinois, Northwestern, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, for starters. Probably Maryland and maybe North Carolina State.

Mandel says you need to look at this every five years. We're certainly on par with these teams over the past five years, and we're on par with a few of them for much longer than that.

Yeah - I forgot about Syracuse. Have they ever done anything on the football field? We are for sure a better program than they are.

I think Mandel is thinking is Bayesian terms where it takes a whole lot of success to overcome decades of failure (and where extreme success or failure exerts more of a tug than mediocrity). That being said, no way Illinois or Syracuse (for that matter, what the hell has NC State ever done?) should be above us. Can't help but think Miss State has a slightly better case for moving up before us, but also think that the coaching carousel means the progress under Kill/Claeys regime is being devalued.

I think Mandel is thinking is Bayesian terms where it takes a whole lot of success to overcome decades of failure (and where extreme success or failure exerts more of a tug than mediocrity). That being said, no way Illinois or Syracuse (for that matter, what the hell has NC State ever done?) should be above us. Can't help but think Miss State has a slightly better case for moving up before us, but also think that the coaching carousel means the progress under Kill/Claeys regime is being devalued.

Mandell is being very lazy with this "effort" today and back in 2007. Remember that back in 2007 Minnesota had been to bowl games in 9/10 years or something like that, yet Northwestern, who has won one bowl game ever, just a couple of years ago is in the next level, because "they are starting to go to bowl games every year" now.

North Carolina?,NCST? UCLA? GA Tech?

Colorado has been awful since they booted out Gary Barnett over ten years ago, and Barnett was in the right on that one.

Mandell is being very lazy with this "effort" today and back in 2007. Remember that back in 2007 Minnesota had been to bowl games in 9/10 years or something like that, yet Northwestern, who has won one bowl game ever, just a couple of years ago is in the next level, because "they are starting to go to bowl games every year" now.

Colorado has been awful since they booted out Gary Barnett over ten years ago, and Barnett was in the right on that one.

Northwestern has won 3 bowl games, two in the last five seasons. They've also won 10 games twice in the last five seasons, and won 6 conference games two years ago - something we haven't done in over 4 decades.

Georgia Tech has had some real success as of recently. Certainly belong above the bottom tier. Plus.....their triple option is really fun to watch. Behind the Gophers......GA Tech and Washington are two of my other "favorite" teams.

I think that Mississippi State has the biggest beef here. Actually ranked #1 at one point in the past five years and has sustained some reasonable success on the football field in a very good football conference. Put them on the schedule......and I see that as more of a marquee matchup than over half the teams on the "knights" list.

With that said.....this is just a lazy list. The Gophers have been trending upwards for the last several years. If this is a 'past five years' list....then how is Nebraska a "baron". This is clearly going back further than the past five.

Northwestern has won 3 bowl games, two in the last five seasons. They've also won 10 games twice in the last five seasons, and won 6 conference games two years ago

So, yes I am wrong, but you are correct in the details (if wrong in the overall spirit of the discussion. Northwestern had not won a bowl game in over 60 years when they beat Miss. St. in 2012. The big dry spell is what I recalled, generally and made overly specific comments.

To follow up the big 1948 Rose bowl they went out in 1949 and hit a bit of a dry spell, and did not appear in a bowl game for almost 50 years and then went 1-10 in the next 11 bowl games. I forgot they won that big Pinnstripe Bowl last year. I guess I'll rate that up there with our big in over CMU in Detroit two years ago.

Six wins in the Big Ten was nice, but I stand my point that I would not rate Northwestern over Minnesota in this case, and there were better examples like Virginia for me to point out.

Top Bottom