Q&A: Brevyn Spann-Ford Has Offers From Missouri and West Virginia, Talks Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
GopherHole Q&A: Brevyn Spann-Ford Has Offers From Missouri and West Virginia, Talks Gophers and Recruiting
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/797077?referrer_id=331171

Brevyn Spann-Ford, a 6-foot-7, 235-pound junior wide receiver from St. Cloud (MN) Tech, is one of the top multi-sport athletes in the Class of 2018.

Spann-Ford helped lead the Tigers to a 9-1 record last season, losing to St. Michael Albertville 31-7 in the second round of the playoffs. He caught a team-high 62 passes for 977 yards and twelve touchdowns.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Spann-Ford to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You went to quite a few things this spring for football. I think that you were at the Michigan State spring game and were also at Minnesota. Where else did you get a chance to go?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: That's about it. I also visited NDSU a little bit before those and I plan on going to a camp in St. Louis soon, so we'll see how that goes. I might visit Missouri, maybe.

Gopher Hole: Did you get to a couple of Gophers things or just one?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I did the second Junior Day and I visited practice.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, they have a coaching change since last year? What has been your reaction to the new coaching change?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I like them a lot. I've got to be around Coach Simon a lot. He is a really good coach.

Gopher Hole: He is a Minnesota guy who played wide receiver. Is that appealing to you knowing that a Minnesotan can play at a high level?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes. Definitely. .

Gopher Hole: What are the Gophers saying to you right now?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Not much really. They just like having me around and get more familiar with them and their staff.

Gopher Hole: I think that you are up to a number offers right now, right. You have Missouri, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Wyoming, West Virginia and Iowa State, right?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes.

Gopher Hole: How about basketball? How many offers do you have for basketball? NDSU offered you last year.

Brevyn Spann-Ford: That's it.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought more about playing basketball or football in college. I know that when I talked to you last fall, you were undecided. Are you thinking more about that now?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I think that I am leaning a little towards football.

Gopher Hole: Is that based on the number of offers you received?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No, definitely not, It's just about what I like.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that basketball helps you for football in terms of foot work and running?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes and it is fun playing with my teammates. I like getting out here in the spring and playing in tournaments. It's always fun.

Gopher Hole: North Dakota State offered you for both football and basketball. Have they even talked to you about maybe trying to play both or is it just too hard?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No. I'm not really planning on trying to play two sports in college.

Gopher Hole: Are teams looking at your size and maybe the ability to put on even more weight to play more tight end?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes. Michigan State and the Gophers both would like to see me at receiver, so it is all dependent on how my body fills out.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that gives you an advantage that you have the ability to be versatile and plays a couple of different positions?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes, definitely. My school doesn't really run a tight end set. It will be good to know what the receiver position needs for requirements and knowing where to be.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what college football camps you might attend this summer?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I think that I am going to go to the Gophers and Michigan State right now and I might road trip down to Florida.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have some good offers right now. Schools like West Virginia and Iowa State in the Big Twelve. What would it mean to get an offer from a Michigan State or Minnesota, a Big Ten school?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I am just honored to play for a school and have free schooling. It is big for my family and all that.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean if you were to get a Gopher offer?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It would mean a lot. Definitely, but we'll see.

Gopher Hole: I know that the Gophers have a few commits from Minnesota kids. Do you know those kids?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I've meet Benny (Sapp) before at the second Junior Day and I've meet Logan (Richter). Me and Logan are pretty tight.

Gopher Hole: Logan also plays basketball as well. Have you ever played against him?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: We played him in our first game of AAU.

Gopher Hole: Your dad played college basketball. Is he going to be a little heartbroken that you are not going to be playing basketball in college or is he over that?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: No. I think that he is good with whatever.

Gopher Hole: What will it mean to play Division I sports?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: I just like the game of football. It doesn't matter what level I am at. I am still going to love the game the same amount.

Gopher Hole: You guys had a good year in football and basketball last year. You came up a little bit short of your main goal in making it to state. What would it mean to make it even further next year in either of those sports?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It's definitely our goal to make it further in both sports and I definitely have our team's standards pretty high this year, so hopefully, we can make it there.

Gopher Hole: How about football? Do you lose a lot of your guys from last year?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: We lose about 10, 15 seniors.

Gopher Hole: How about your quarterback?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: He was a senior. (Chris Backes will be playing Division III St. John's)

Gopher Hole: Do you have someone that they are grooming that you are working with already?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: It is between a sophomore (Nate Trewick) and a going-to-be senior (James Kaczor).

Gopher Hole: Have you worked with those guys already?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been working on during the offseason to hopefully get ready for a big senior season in football?

Brevyn Spann-Ford: Speed and route running. Definitely.

Top Bottom