PP: Analysts: P.J. Fleck, Gophers already changing regional recruiting landscape

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Fleck was officially hired on Jan. 6, and his recruiting style and early successes have become hot topics of discussion.

After refurbishing the 2017 recruiting class in his first three weeks on the job, Fleck has set a blistering pace with 13 early oral commitments for 2018. The class has received national praise from four major recruiting services, which rank the class between No. 18 and No. 15 in the country.

“To get those number of early commitments before they’ve coached a game at Minnesota, that is a lot of trust from the kids,” said Allen Trieu, scout.com’s midwest recruiting manager. “I also think the caveat with early recruiting is that it’s still early and a lot of things can change.”

Fleck has differentiated himself from the Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys regime in his willingness to go after higher nationally ranked players.

“This is the most times that I’ve seen Minnesota win this many recruiting battles for young men that have a significant amount of Power Five opportunities elsewhere,” said Steve Wiltfong, director of recruiting at 247sports.com.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...ready-changing-regional-recruiting-landscape/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

SOME ANIMOSITY

Fleck hails from suburban Chicago and was a wide receiver at Northern Illinois; he’s working to establish an Illinois pipeline. “I would suspect that they have some success there,” Trieu said.

The Gophers have beaten Iowa in recruiting battles for Oswego, Ill., defensive tackle Noah Shannon and Carol Steam, Ill., cornerback Tyrik Henderson. After waging those battles, animosity follows, Trieu said.

“I know that there is some chippiness between teams that often run into each other on the recruiting trail as much as those guys do,” Trieu said.

While the Gophers have a different philosophy, Iowa has an established track record. The Hawkeyes started 12-0 and went to the Rose Bowl two years ago, and their pro-style system produced four NFL draftees in April.

“Iowa used to be able to soundly beat Illinois, Purdue, Indiana (for recruits), and Minnesota was in that group,” Wiltfong said. “That is not going to happen with Minnesota anymore and, quite frankly, it isn’t going to happen with Iowa State anymore. … If they don’t win games at Minnesota or Iowa State, the recruiting wins are going to go away quick. But right now, they have their sleeves rolled up and they are recruiting.”

In the meantime, Fleck’s Gophers have put pressure on the Ferentzes’ Hawkeyes.

“What used to be layups for Iowa aren’t layups anymore,” Wiltfong said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...ready-changing-regional-recruiting-landscape/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom