Gopher Football Position Preview: Quarterbacks

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
By: Daniel House

The most anticipated battle on the Gopher football team will be for the starting quarterback job. With redshirt sophomore Demry Croft and fifth-year senior Conor Rhoda in a competition for the starting duties, the Gophers will have a new sheriff in charge this fall. With offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca’s offense being installed, it's the perfect time to make a change. Ciarrocca is an offensive mastermind, and after seeing him work with the quarterbacks throughout spring ball, it was apparent how much their fundamentals evolved. It is going to be very exciting to see his high-powered offensive philosophy transition to the Big Ten.

The beauty of this system is the way it utilizes playmakers to the best of their ability. Run-pass option looks out of a spread-option style offense make the quarterback a critical component of the offensive structure. The new offense will get athletes out in space to create plays. In addition, it will emphasize a power inside zone running game that will really bring out the best in Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks. With that being said, having a quarterback who can be a threat out of the run-pass option is a huge asset to the offense.

Demry Croft

Demry Croft has the athleticism and speed to tuck the ball and run or elude pressure to make a vertical throw up the field. Croft has excellent arm talent/strength and can throw the ball with superb touch up the field. The most impressive aspect of his game might be his ability to stretch the field with his arm. During the previous regime, the Gophers were hesitant to take consistent shots up the field. This will change with a new quarterback and offensive philosophy.

This offense will attack by using intermediate passing to open up the running game. After the offense controls the tempo and the short half of the field, deep shots can be taken to keep the defense honest. Croft’s ability to throw vertical, run out of the option-style looks, and create plays with his athleticism would be a nice fit in the system. The biggest question surrounding Demry is whether he has the football IQ to grasp the entire playbook. Not to mention, teams will throw disguises and blitzes at him, which he must respond to. His recognition skills have been a problem in the past. However, based upon spring ball, it’s hard to argue Croft isn’t the best fit for what the Gophers are trying to do on offense.

Conor Rhoda

After nearly leaving the program, Conor Rhoda was one of the first players P.J. Fleck convinced to return. Rhoda started the Gophers’ 31-10 victory at Maryland last season. He managed the game well enough for the team to come out on top. Rhoda won’t blow you away with his arm talent, but he is a smart player who can make all the short to intermediate throws the system would require. However, during spring ball, he had the tendency to display poor decision-making and forced passes into tight windows. Rhoda seemed to be pressing at certain points of practice.

Rhoda has the intelligence and experience at the position, but he won’t provide nearly as much value in the run-pass option looks. He is more of a quarterback who sits back in the pocket and distributes passes out of the shotgun. Nonetheless, he could still win the job if Demry Croft struggles with the second phase of playbook implementation. Croft provides more upside and potential to the offense than Rhoda from an athleticism standpoint. Having a strong running game to pair with a dual-threat quarterback, really maximizes the potential of an offense that likes to get the ball in the hands of playmakers in space.

Seth Green

Many people have been asking about Seth Green and his progression as a quarterback. The highly touted East Ridge high school recruit was regarded as someone with the potential to be a future starting quarterback. With so much talent, the redshirt freshman has yet to show growth. His mechanics have some significant issues and his release and finish are very long. He has accuracy problems and the ball has a tendency to sail high over his target. A flaw in his footwork appears to cause a slight arm drop, leading to high throws. Green has the size, athleticism, and overall talent to be a great quarterback, but he needs polishing from a technique standpoint. Not to mention, it is clear to see he needs more experience going throw progressions and reading defenses. He is a developmental project that hopefully can click under the instruction of Kirk Ciarrocca.

Tanner Morgan

It’s evident how smart Tanner Morgan is as a quarterback. He responded to coaching well during spring ball. The most impressive trait of his game is his competitive fire. Every time he steps out on the field, you feel like he is ready to compete and give it his all. The freshman was phenomenal as a high school quarterback in Kentucky. He passed for 2,747 yards and 27 touchdowns during his senior year. Morgan is a generous 6’2” and was smaller than I anticipated. He won’t blow you away with his arm strength, but can make all of the short and intermediate throws in the system. There was plenty of air under his deep balls and this is something he must work on. However, he started to sharpen up his footwork and decision-making as the spring progressed. The potential is high for Morgan, who might compete for a starting role in the future.

Final Analysis:

The quarterback position will be an area to monitor when fall ball begins. The coaches won’t wait very long to name a starter, as they want to provide more reps for their chosen leader. After analyzing spring ball practices and the offensive scheme, it is hard to imagine Demry Croft won’t win the quarterback job. However, the first week of fall ball will be critical to see how Croft progressed this offseason. In addition, he must show he can handle the mental aspects of the game with ease. If he can, his arm talent, athleticism, and running capability add another element to the Minnesota offense. Nonetheless, Conor Rhoda is perfectly capable of being a serviceable starter and the offense can adapt to what he does best.

It’s not a stretch to say the new coaching staff’s ability to maximize player potential, a new system, and a quarterback change might make the Gophers’ offense significantly better than it was last season. In fact, with the high caliber running game Minnesota has, a competent passing attack might be enough to elevate their offense to the next level.

Anyone think there is a chance they play them both early in the season and then go with the guy who plays better?

Anyone think there is a chance they play them both early in the season and then go with the guy who plays better?

I hope not. Croft is going to take his lumps. Let him take them all before big ten play starts. I think the staff will decide the same

I would say this: if one of the QB's (no idea which one) clearly separates himself from the pack during Fall camp, then that person will be the starter until or unless there is an injury.

But, if there is no clear-cut #1 QB - if they go into fall camp and 2 or 3 guys are all playing relatively the same, then I would not be surprised to see the coaches use the non-conference games as an on-field try-out.

As House noted, a key to the issue will be to see which QB handles the mental aspects of the job. Fleck has repeatedly stressed the importance of avoiding turnovers. He may need to evaluate people in game conditions to see which QB can best deal with game situations.

Excellent write up.

Tanner Morgan sounds like Zach Terrell 2.0.

Excellent write up.

Tanner Morgan sounds like Zach Terrell 2.0.

Thanks for reading! I couldn't agree more. A very accurate comparison. I can see a theme in the players they recruit when you evaluate their skill sets against guys they've coached in the past.

I would say this: if one of the QB's (no idea which one) clearly separates himself from the pack during Fall camp, then that person will be the starter until or unless there is an injury.

But, if there is no clear-cut #1 QB - if they go into fall camp and 2 or 3 guys are all playing relatively the same, then I would not be surprised to see the coaches use the non-conference games as an on-field try-out.

As House noted, a key to the issue will be to see which QB handles the mental aspects of the job. Fleck has repeatedly stressed the importance of avoiding turnovers. He may need to evaluate people in game conditions to see which QB can best deal with game situations.

There's still evaluation needed and turnovers/mental mistakes aren't something this staff will allow to happen. It's the biggest key in deciding who will be the starter.

I'd be surprised, but it would potentially work because of the variance in their skill sets. I think having one leader to rally around is big in this culture though.

First, I hate the analogy of a new sheriff in town. Fleck is not a sheriff who is arresting law breakers. He's a new corporate manager.
Second, whoever starts had better not turn the ball over because Fleck will bench him and replace him with someone else who maintains possession.

I hope one guy wins the job in camp and can be the guy. However I can see them having a very short leash for whoever is the day one starter and making changes if they think it will help the team win. Hopefully it is Croft as he has more upside then Rhoda in my opinion but time will tell.

If we are all pining for the days of Mitch Leidner a few weeks into the season it could make for a long year.

I hope not. Croft is going to take his lumps. Let him take them all before big ten play starts. I think the staff will decide the same

My thoughts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is where my money is at this point. Unless one of them really stands out once fall practices start I don't know why you wouldn't with our non-conference schedule. Give them both some game reps and declare a starter before the first B1G game which is when the season really begins. It's not common, but it's been done plenty of times in recent years by major programs.

I think PJ said they'd decide in camp.

Thank goodness because I really hate playing 2 QBs.... MAYBE if it is super close and they're both great. But otherwise pick a dude and give him the time, otherwise you don't really know.

Or whoever is ahead when they need to make a decision and let him take his lumps as stated by upnorthkid.

As they say if you have two qbs you really have none. Don't think a Nelson/Leidner type of set up is really ideal

Interesting write-up. Looks like you clearly think it's Croft's to lose, Dan. This came up before in the Spring game thread, but overall I thought they both looked equal. Croft started hot and then cooled. Take the surprise first play out and his performance became decent. Rhoda started slow and then found his groove. No "wow" plays for him.

Both have good to great arms. Good strength, touch, and quick releases. I'll take either based on my one afternoon watching them. Think either will present a plausible passing attack to get teams to have to not stack the line given Fleck's scheme.

Also clear that Fleck does not expect the QB to run much even in the RPO sets....Terrell averaged what, under 20 rush yards a game his last three years at WMU? Not sure if that favors either Rhoda or Croft, but it takes away some of Croft's advantages running.

After reading this it makes me think Seth Green should be a tight end.

The difference between the inside zone that Leidner ran and Flecks concept is really simple. If you have ever watched NDSU play , then you saw the Gopher inside zone play. The QB really has 4 options. Keep the ball, hand off to Rodney, pitch to the backside slot back coming in motion, OR pop up and throw to the wideout if the CB on the play side forces the play.(Leidner didn't have this option). Will the two QB's listed become proficient with this read? Time will tell.

The difference between the inside zone that Leidner ran and Flecks concept is really simple. If you have ever watched NDSU play , then you saw the Gopher inside zone play. The QB really has 4 options. Keep the ball, hand off to Rodney, pitch to the backside slot back coming in motion, OR pop up and throw to the wideout if the CB on the play side forces the play.(Leidner didn't have this option). Will the two QB's listed become proficient with this read? Time will tell.

Most here have watched ML so why the NDSU reference? Not clear where you explain the difference.

Top Bottom