Maize & Brew: P.J. Fleck, Minnesota Will Offer A Stiff Test For The Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per M&B:

What are the two or three biggest storylines with Minnesota, you think? The impact of P.J. Fleck, obviously, has to be at the top.

Andrew: The impact of Fleck is rightly first and foremost, but a few other things have stood out. The plethora of talent on campus is as good as it has been in over a decade and I am interested to see how they utilize everything at their disposal. The Gophers return 14 starters (8 on offense) including running back Rodney Smith who I am higher on than most. Another factor with the talent is Fleck who has brought in a load of recruits with him. Some of these recruits may be less touted than others, but Fleck has an eye for talent (Corey Davis, Zach Terrell) and subsequent development.

Nick: Yeah, I’m interested to see what happens with Demry Croft, who had a breakout spring and might be leading the quarterback battle over redshirt senior Conor Rhoda.

From what I saw in the spring game (and Michigan fans know that should be taken with a grain of salt), I like Croft a lot as a guy who has all the tools to operate their offense really well. He’s athletic enough to run the ball, really good at handing off to backs or sweeps and disguising where the ball is actually going, and he has a cannon of an arm and the accuracy and timing to succeed with both short- and long-range stuff. Being 6’5”, 200 doesn’t hurt, either.

Minnesota’s offense reminds me a lot of Penn State’s offense, and they’ll try to make things easy on their skill players. But they also have a mammoth offensive line and a lot of depth all over the place.

Andrew: You’re not kidding about that offensive line. The strength of it being left tackle Donnell Greene. At 6’7, 345 pounds, with great movement and hand work, the bear from The Revenant wouldn’t stand a chance moving this man.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2017/5/23...offer-a-stiff-test-for-the-big-ten-conference

Go Gophers!!

Both these guys pick Gophers to win Big Ten West:

How many wins do you think Minny ‘rows’ to in P.J. Fleck’s first season?

Nick: Bullish on Northwestern, I see! I’ll say that Minnesota ends up in the thick of the Big Ten West race and finishes with around 10 wins. This was almost certainly the quietest 9-win team from a year ago, and they’ll be taking steps forward, not back.

Andrew: I’m in the same boat as you as long as Fleck is rowing it. This team should roll to 8-0 and come into the Michigan game as the nation’s sweetheart. However, I think they pull a 2016 Michigan and tumble down the stretch dropping 2-3 of their last 4 games.

You know, we didn’t even talk about their really strong group of assistant coaches, either - from Ed Warinner (formerly of Ohio State, now just an OL coach) to Robb Smith from Arkansas and Kirk Ciarrocca, who tutored Joe Flacco at Delaware and has a history of turning small-time recruits into big-time quarterbacks. The pieces are definitely in place for a good team.

Andrew: Lastly, does Minnesota win the Big 10 West?

Nick: Without having looked at all the Big Ten West as thoroughly as I have at the Gophers, I’ll say yes for right now. You?

Andrew: One could presume I would choose Northwestern, but Fleck is rowing and running this boat to Indianapolis. Let’s just hope Michigan is there to beat them for a second time.

Good to see people outside of the MN fanbase are bullish on the Gophers this year. I think heading into Ann Arbor at 8-0 is a real possibility. Last 4 games will be a very tough stretch, but I think 10 wins is certainly reachable.

Waiting for GWG and JB to chime in...

In my existence as a MN sports fan (talking mainly football here) when we're supposed to be good we underachieve and vice versa. In the NFL due to parity it's a little bit more of guessing game each year. The only predictable thing in college football is the juggernaut programs will be pretty good unless a confluence of events causes a rare poor season. I'm talkin about in recent years Bama, OSU.

Every year there are teams that come out of nowhere and exceed, or fall short of, a predicted win total. Raise your hand if you thought PSU would win the Big Ten last year. If Iowa would go undefeated in 2015 until the tragically wonderful Big Ten title game and an immensely enjoyable Rose Bowl appearance. Michigan State at 3 wins? Raise your hand. Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois have all had their special seasons in the not too distant past. We are a solid program ready to break out and exceed the two standard deviation limit. It will probably come when nobody is really expecting it. Some luck, some good QB play, good defense, good special teams. And, we need some other teams to stink that day. Turn the ball over. Be overconfident. Rock when it should have been scissors.

Waiting for GWG and JB to chime in...

I stopped participating in these pointless pissing matches about next season if you hadn't noticed. Continue to spam 8+ wins and 55-65 class as you please though!

As Duffy Daugherty once said, "You are getting carried away with my enthusiasm!"

I stopped participating in these pointless pissing matches about next season if you hadn't noticed. Continue to spam 8+ wins and 55-65 class as you please though!

Correction: 8 wins, class in the mid 40s.

It's nice to hear positive things... a bit surprised by some of the details, but ok.

Top Bottom