CBS' Updated College basketball rankings (#14. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
CBS updated its offseason Top 25 for next year after some roster movement. Gophers are #14:

14. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Coach: Richard Pitino

2016-17 record: 24-10

Notable players definitely gone: Akeem Springs

Notable players also expected to leave: None

Notable players expected to return: Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Jordan Murphy, Dupree McBrayer, Reggie Lynch, Eric Curry, Bakary Donate, Davonte Fitzgerald

Notable newcomers: Isaiah Washington, Jamir Harris

Why the Gophers are here: Minnesota's fourth-place finish in the Big Ten was one of college basketball's biggest surprises, and most of the key players from that team are back. So Richard Pitino should be back in the NCAA Tournament in 2018.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...mps-kansas-for-no-1-spot-in-the-top-25-and-1/

Go Gophers!!

I'm excited for Bakary Donate. Hopefully he has better hands.

From basically projected 14th in the B1G last year to 14th in the nation this year. I'll take that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Duke should be everyone's top pick because of the attention they will bring but in most pre season rankings Louisville is right around a top 5 team, Notre Dame is top 15-20, and Miami is top 15-20. Either way we're likely getting a ranked non conference opponent from the ACC in the barn. That's going to be pretty sweet!

Rothstein chimes in with his May Top 25:

14. MINNESOTA

Key Losses: Akeem Springs
Key Newcomers: Isaiah Washington

Projected Starting Five:

PG Nate Mason
SG Dupree McBrayer
SF Amir Coffey
PF Jordan Murphy
C Reggie Lynch

Projected Bench: Eric Curry, Isaiah Washington, Bakary Konate, Michael Hurt, Devonte Fitzgerald

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothsteins-cbb-top-25-2017-18-may-edition/

Go Gophers!!

Super Myron Chimes in

15. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Key losses: Akeem Springs
Key additions: Isaiah Washington, Davonte Fitzgerald, Jamir Harris
First Way-Too-Early ranking: 17

Last summer, Minnesota prepared for what seemed like a make-or-break year for Richard Pitino, who accepted the challenge and ended last year as the Big Ten coach of the year after leading the Gophers to the NCAA tournament. Nate Mason (15.2 PPG) earned all-Big Ten first-team honors. Jordan Murphy (11.3 PPG, 8.8 RPG) cracked the third team. Amir Coffey (12.2 PPG) made the league's all-freshman team. Reggie Lynch, who finished second nationally in block percentage on KenPom.com, won Big Ten defensive player of the year honors. They're all back for Pitino. In all, six of Pitino's top seven scorers from 2016-17 return. Plus, Isaiah Washington, top-100 point guard, will enhance Minnesota's versatile backcourt. Call Michigan State the favorite in the Big Ten -- that makes sense -- but don't overlook Minnesota's chance to compete with the Spartans and win the Big Ten crown.

Super Myron Chimes in

15. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Key losses: Akeem Springs
Key additions: Isaiah Washington, Davonte Fitzgerald, Jamir Harris
First Way-Too-Early ranking: 17

Last summer, Minnesota prepared for what seemed like a make-or-break year for Richard Pitino, who accepted the challenge and ended last year as the Big Ten coach of the year after leading the Gophers to the NCAA tournament. Nate Mason (15.2 PPG) earned all-Big Ten first-team honors. Jordan Murphy (11.3 PPG, 8.8 RPG) cracked the third team. Amir Coffey (12.2 PPG) made the league's all-freshman team. Reggie Lynch, who finished second nationally in block percentage on KenPom.com, won Big Ten defensive player of the year honors. They're all back for Pitino. In all, six of Pitino's top seven scorers from 2016-17 return. Plus, Isaiah Washington, top-100 point guard, will enhance Minnesota's versatile backcourt. Call Michigan State the favorite in the Big Ten -- that makes sense -- but don't overlook Minnesota's chance to compete with the Spartans and win the Big Ten crown.

Read the whole thing expecting the next sentence to be a "but" or cheap shot at the University overall. I seriously think that might be the first time he's ever mentioned Minnesota without including a negative spin on the team or U.

Depth

Michael Hurt and Jamir Harris, seemingly fighting for the 10th and 11th spots on the depth chart is pretty impressive.

Man I hope this team stays healthy and we see a magic season. Been a gopher fan far too long in a lot of sports and, outside of hockey, haven't ever seen this much preseason hype

Off the top of my head, the last time the Gophers were ranked this high to start the season was 94-95 at #10. I think we also lost in the Pre-Season NIT semis to NC, then to Kansas in the consolation game.

Top Bottom