6th yr for Fitz

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
According to the twitter machine Fitzgerald has been given a 6th year!!!

This is big for keeping the progress going! And balancing of classes.

This kid has had a tough go for the injuries. Elated the NCAA did the right thing! Can't wait to see what he can do on the court. I think we will be pleasantly surprised - I don't think Pitino would have been lavishing him with so much praise over the transfer year if he wasn't going to contribute.

Great!

To me, seeing what Fitz can potentially bring is the most intriguing part of this team next year. Pitino's comments about him showing flashes of being the best player on the team as well as one poster saying he was the best pure shooter on the team have me excited.

Awesome. Hopefully he can return and contribute. If he can, not only does that help next year's team but we should still have a very solid team the following year.

2018 class is down to 4 scholarships. Only 3 are open. Two out of state visitors are scheduled for June. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Clock is ticking, Race and Gabe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I guess nice, but is he injury prone? Or were his two injuries some part of a same ailment?

I'd say the fact that Pitino and the U submitted for a 6th year says plenty about what they think Fitz can do.

If they thought he would never be the same or he didn't have the potential to be better than any 2018 recruit, they likely wouldn't have submitted for it. Now, I guess it's possible if he isn't able to contribute much in 2017, they could suggest a grad transfer for his 6th year.

Either way, I don't see any way that knowing he got the 6th year and having the flexibility can be viewed as anything but positive.

I know I will personally be pulling for Davonte as hard as anyone on the team!

I guess nice, but is he injury prone? Or were his two injuries some part of a same ailment?

I believe he had a knee injury in HS and also his Freshman year at Texas A&M. So last years injury makes that three. Not sure on the severity of his high school knee injury though.

I believe he had a knee injury in HS and also his Freshman year at Texas A&M. So last years injury makes that three. Not sure on the severity of his high school knee injury though.

Yea, I'm happy for him because it has to suck to sit out so much, but before we get too excited about what it means for the team I want to see how he plays after a third knee injury and no games in over 2 years.

This is great news!! So excited to see him play! Never can have to many veterans on the court to mix with younger players!

The dude who insisted there was a 1% chance needs to stop. Each situation is case by case. It is deja vu back to when the fat Marquette bloviator dude was posting stuff like that all of the time

I'm glad this balances out the classes. Puts more pressure on people to accept.

I'm also glad for Fitz, he deserves to get some court time for all he has been through.

2018 class is down to 4 scholarships. Only 3 are open. Two out of state visitors are scheduled for June. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Clock is ticking, Race and Gabe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Or, Tyus and Jarvis? What a combo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scholarship-wise, the 6th year is not a guarantee Fitzgerald will spend it in Minnesota. I'm assuming he'll have the graduate transfer option after the 2017-18 season. If he (and Pitino) are happy with his role/performance next season, he probably sticks around. If not, he probably moves on.

Either way, glad to hear he'll have the opportunity to play an extra season.

Good for Fitz, though this probably means n offer for Jarvis now, which is too bad, guessing with Fitz, Murphy, Curry, Stockman and Oturu now in the mix, the only front court player we are seriously considering is Race, which is fine. I would rather have more Guards/Wings on the roster then front court players

Scholarship-wise, the 6th year is not a guarantee Fitzgerald will spend it in Minnesota. I'm assuming he'll have the graduate transfer option after the 2017-18 season. If he (and Pitino) are happy with his role/performance next season, he probably sticks around. If not, he probably moves on.

Bingo. A win win all around

Very good points. The biggest concern is more injuries though. If he gets hurt and just eats up a scholly, that'll suck. Pitino is definitely excited about what he brings to the table so that's exciting.

Very good points. The biggest concern is more injuries though. If he gets hurt and just eats up a scholly, that'll suck. Pitino is definitely excited about what he brings to the table so that's exciting.

If he had another significant injury, couldn't he "retire" from basketball and still retain his scholarship from the U, all while opening up a basketball scholarship for the team? I think that would be the most likely outcome if he had yet another severe knee injury.

I sure hope this is good....haven't seen him play yet. Cup half empty??

Yea, I'm happy for him because it has to suck to sit out so much, but before we get too excited about what it means for the team I want to see how he plays after a third knee injury and no games in over 2 years.

He should be fresh!

If he had another significant injury, couldn't he "retire" from basketball and still retain his scholarship from the U, all while opening up a basketball scholarship for the team? I think that would be the most likely outcome if he had yet another severe knee injury.

I think so, but the timing of an injury could affect that scenario.

I think Oto retired and became a graduate assistant his last year, I would guess that Fitz would have a degree if something happened by then and Pitino could pursue that route, the U had to lobby to keep Oto's scholarship from counting on the 13 but it can be done if he got injured again and had to give up basketball.

Good for Fitz, though this probably means n offer for Jarvis now, which is too bad, guessing with Fitz, Murphy, Curry, Stockman and Oturu now in the mix, the only front court player we are seriously considering is Race, which is fine. I would rather have more Guards/Wings on the roster then front court players

We are also recruiting Jake Forrester, Moses Brown, and Isaiah Mucius as front court players from out of state.

We are also recruiting Jake Forrester, Moses Brown, and Isaiah Mucius as front court players from out of state.

Everyone's recruiting Moses brown, so I doubt we have much of a shot there. I know Mucius is 6'8" but isn't he more of a wing? Are we going hard a Forrester?

Top Bottom