Pioneer Press: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck serves as greeter, headliner on road trip

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

About 240 Gophers fans and a handful of Minnesota coaches had taken their seats by the time P.J. Fleck entered the Elks Lodge for Monday.

But Minnesota’s energetic and marketing-aware new head football coach wasn’t making a fashionably late entrance for the first luncheon on the annual Gophers Road Trip around Minnesota. Fleck had been on the front sidewalk, serving as the event’s greeter, shaking hands and making small talk with fans.

Randy Lisowski of Winona was struck by Fleck’s unexpected and warm gesture.

“It’s a breath of fresh air,” he said.

Fleck’s vision is to win Big Ten and national championships. He used the example of coach Dabo Swinney taking Clemson from 19-15 in his first three seasons to 14-1 and the national title last season.

“Why can’t we do that?” Fleck asked.

Fleck has heard fans say, ” ‘Please, go to the Rose Bowl before I die.’ ”

“My No. 1 question back to you is, ‘How old are you? What did your last health scan say?’

Fleck willingly acknowledged that he’s in a honeymoon phase with fans. “You all love me,” he said. “I haven’t made a bad call yet.”

The crowd laughed.

“As coach Pitino will tell you, ‘Enjoy the honeymoon stage as long as you can.’ ”

More laughter.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...eck-serves-as-greeter-headliner-on-road-trip/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom