Big SI Q&A: P.J. Fleck begins upstream endeavor bringing 'Row The Boat' mantra to MN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Big SI Q&A: P.J. Fleck begins upstream endeavor bringing 'Row The Boat' mantra to MN

per Thamel:

P.J. Fleck remains one of the most captivating characters in college football. He ambushed the sport’s consciousness last season by leading Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl with an undefeated regular season and a MAC championship. Fleck got hired at Minnesota in January, bringing his high-energy “Row The Boat” philosophy to Minneapolis. The early returns include an adrenaline spike in relevancy to the traditionally milquetoast Gophers program, which includes a 2018 recruiting class ranked in the top 20 by all three major services.

Fleck recently sat down with Sports Illustrated to talk about the Gophers’ cultural overhaul, his post-spring thoughts on their talent, former Western Michigan star Corey Davis’s NFL future and how other Big Ten coaches have received him.

SI: Your program and philosophies are undeniably unique. Not everyone bought in immediately at Western Michigan. How’s the buy-in been so far at Minnesota?

P.J. Fleck: I’m really proud of our football team because I don’t think we have a lot of guys that aren’t in the boat. I give these guys a lot of credit. They haven’t asked a ton of questions, they just rowed, and that’s what we’ve kinda asked them and demanded them to do. Just row and watch what the culture can do for you because everything they’re doing is for the first time. Winter conditioning, first time. How we do it, where we do it, what corner of the end zone we do it, where their position meetings are, everything is new. Spring ball, same thing. Now we’re transitioning into summer where it really becomes a players’ team for a while, and you know, I’m really proud of the transition they’ve had. We’ve had some that probably don’t fit the new culture, but with every cultural change, that happens.

SI: I’m curious after your experience overhauling Western Michigan how long you think cultural overhauls usually take?

PF: I think it takes about two years. We’ve had three head coaches at the University of Minnesota in three years, and I don’t blame a lot of the guys that might be on the fence. There might be seniors and juniors and upperclassmen saying, “I don’t know, I gotta do this again?” It’s not their fault, but that’s the biggest question. I think it takes two years because the upperclassmen that have been through coaching changes before know what the positives are of that, know what the negatives are of that. They’ve got to learn all new systems again. So I think it takes two years to transition, two years of recruiting, two years of development, so players go back through the circuit season winter conditioning, spring ball. Once they get it once and go through it again, I think that whole full circuit, that second full circuit, you see a big change in the culture and moving forward.

SI: So much of turning around a program is leadership from the players. How’s that developed so far at Minnesota?

PF: We have a saying we brought from Western Michigan: Bad teams, nobody leads; average teams, the coaches lead; and elite teams, players lead. We went from nobody leading at all to having some leaders, and I think that’s the biggest transition we’re making is getting this team to be player-led at some point, whether it’s this year, next year, or five years down the road. That’s what we had at Western Michigan. The minute those players took over and dominated and became the culture, that’s when we had incredible success. I still think we’re a long way away from that, but that’s the biggest part. People always talk about, “O.K., the ‘Row The Boat’ culture or this coaching staff culture,” but we had a discussion with the players the other day. When it becomes your culture, that’s when it changes. It’s not my culture. It’s your culture and that’s the next transition we have on the field. Because it’s not what we do, its how we do it.

SI: Now that spring is over and you’ve seen what you have, what should we expect from Minnesota on the field this year?

PF: We’re a 4–3 scheme, but we don’t have enough 4–3 personnel. We don’t have a freshman, sophomore and we only have one junior defensive tackle on the entire roster. We only have eight total offensive linemen. We don’t have enough defensive linemen to play a 4–3, but we’re very deep at the linebacker position. So what we’re going to do is take some of our best linebackers and turn them into defensive linemen this year and turn it into a 3–4 type scheme, a lot more of a nickel-type base. Antoine Winfield, one of our best players, is going to have to play a more glorified SAM linebacker in space. We’re going to be very creative, which we’ve learned coming from the Greg Schiano pipeline. [Defensive coordinator Robb Smith worked under Schiano at Rutgers and remains close to him.]

SI: What about the offense?

PF: Offensively, we don’t even know who our quarterback will be. We only had four offensive linemen that were really healthy for most of the spring. We don’t have a wideout on our roster that caught more than 18 passes in his career. We don’t have a quarterback that’s played more than one game. What we do have is Kirk Ciarrocca, and he’s really good at making sure the players can have success at what they do. We want them to play fast, whether we’re very complex, very simple, it’s just on how much our players can handle. We do have two very talented running backs [Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks], and we always love our inside zone. That’s what we are, and that will never go away. And we’re gonna rely on our play-action pass. How evolved we get from that is how much our kids can pick up and how much the quarterback can handle.

SI: You’ve got a lot of great momentum on the recruiting trail. You obviously had a lot of success recruiting at Western Michigan to build that program. What’s it been like so far at Minnesota?

PF: When you take over a program, I think the most important recruiting class you have is the first full recruiting class, and the second is the next. For us, the 2018 and 2019 classes are the two most important classes of our tenure at the University of Minnesota. We have to attack 2018 because a lot of those guys are going to have to start, are going to have to play, are going to have to be major impact players as freshmen. That’s why we’re having so much success. People can feel like they can come to the University of Minnesota. We have one of the best facilities in the whole country being built that will open, we have the best public institutions in the country. When people start seeing that, you’re not doing it in a Group of Five school, you’re a Power 5 school in one of the best conferences in the country.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/23/pj-fleck-minnesota-gophers-preview

Go Gophers!!

Pete Thamel: Fleck begins upstream endeavor bringing 'Row The Boat' mantra to MN

From SI:

P.J. Fleck begins upstream endeavor bringing 'Row The Boat' mantra to Minnesota

P.J. Fleck remains one of the most captivating characters in college football. He ambushed the sport’s consciousness last season by leading Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl with an undefeated regular season and a MAC championship. Fleck got hired at Minnesota in January, bringing his high-energy “Row The Boat” philosophy to Minneapolis. The early returns include an adrenaline spike in relevancy to the traditionally milquetoast Gophers program, which includes a 2018 recruiting class ranked in the top 20 by all three major services.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/23/pj-fleck-minnesota-gophers-preview

(Apologize if this has been posted, just had a second to hop in GH when I saw this).

Am I missing something in regards to offensive lineman.

I believe Fleck has said he wants like 18-20 in the program. That's off the top of my head though, so don't kill me if it's the wrong number. Just know they don't think 14 is enough.

I believe Fleck has said he wants like 18-20 in the program. That's off the top of my head though, so don't kill me if it's the wrong number. Just know they don't think 14 is enough.

If Ed is as good as folks say then I'd be fine giving him extra bodies to work with.

He mentions the team will be good when the players take charge of the leadership. I believe this is true. I can remember when the Hrbecks, Pucketts etc., took charge of the Twins they were awesome to watch. Two years ago Sutter and Praise (sp) made life miserable for Yeo and the team tanked. I'm hoping that leadership of this team takes charge and the team will do well. Lets face it if the players don't do it on the field, who will?

My question was why is he saying we have eight total linemen?

Maybe he missed one? They only had 9 scholarship OL this spring.

Magana committed April 25, which is ten. And we'll be adding 4 more before camp. He said total linemen, not scholarships. I just thought it was an odd statement. We regularly call out factual errors by our intrepid band of local and national media. I don't want to have to say per Barikmo when quoting Fleck. Maybe Fleck is not the details guy. He is the Jobs and somebody else is the Woz.

My question was why is he saying we have eight total linemen?

Maybe he missed one? They only had 9 scholarship OL this spring.

Considering that sentence was sandwiched between him talking about the defensive line both before and after, I think he was talking about the DL. Don't know if Fleck misspoke or it was transcribed wrong. Numbers on roster reflect that too, before the new guys get here this fall.

Magana committed April 25, which is ten. And we'll be adding 4 more before camp. He said total linemen, not scholarships. I just thought it was an odd statement. We regularly call out factual errors by our intrepid band of local and national media. I don't want to have to say per Barikmo when quoting Fleck. Maybe Fleck is not the details guy. He is the Jobs and somebody else is the Woz.

Committed doesn't mean anything until they are here practicing.

Committed doesn't mean anything until they are here practicing.

Ok. And being on scholarship doesn't mean anything because they could flunk out or get kicked for any number of reasons. Sure, they might not make it. It's possible but I'd think they did their homework before offering.

Ok. And being on scholarship doesn't mean anything because they could flunk out or get kicked for any number of reasons. Sure, they might not make it. It's possible but I'd think they did their homework before offering.

Being on scholarship and practicing is totally different than just signing a LOI. There are plenty of examples of kids that either don't make it to campus or don't make it through their first year for a variety of reasons.

Being on scholarship and practicing is totally different than just signing a LOI. There are plenty of examples of kids that either don't make it to campus or don't make it through their first year for a variety of reasons.

True, but it usually the ones that you cannot believe you got in the first place.

Considering that sentence was sandwiched between him talking about the defensive line both before and after, I think he was talking about the DL. Don't know if Fleck misspoke or it was transcribed wrong. Numbers on roster reflect that too, before the new guys get here this fall.

Yeah, I think you're right. Probably just misspoke.

The paragraph on Corey Davis....I know he's building his brand and maybe it's just me, but he needs to give credit to Dan Graham and Joe Gerace instead of (solely) his culture. He didn't even mention them. Graham was Davis's legal guardian and Gerace was the tutor Graham hired to get Davis's GPA one point higher and double his ACT score by the end of his senior year. That's an enormous mountain to climb in one year.

Davis was a late qualifier overlooked because of his grades. Fleck owes a huge debt of gratitude to those two and to Davis for putting the hard work in. Davis exploded on the scene at WMU that year with 96 yards and a TD in his very first game vs Michigan State in 2013. He went on to have 67 catches for 941 yards as a true freshman. He obviously didn't need a lot of development although he built on those numbers the next three seasons to become one of the most prolific receivers in history.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/01/western-michigan-football-corey-davis/94712078/

I liked the Brick by Brick mantra. I assume that Row the Boat is going to take its place......unfortunately.

I liked the Brick by Brick mantra. I assume that Row the Boat is going to take its place......unfortunately.

Of course Row the Boat is going to replace Brick by Brick. Why would Fleck use Kill's mantra when he already has his own, one that has national recognition, no less?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom