Pat Ruff: P.J. Fleck: "I want to build a legacy. And I want to build it here."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pat Ruff: P.J. Fleck: "I want to build a legacy. And I want to build it here."

per Ruff:

Fleck, who became famous for his "Row The Boat" (all-for-one-and-one-for-all) mantra he preaches, was considered by many the hottest young coach in college football a season ago when he was leading Western Michigan to a 13-1 record and a trip to the Cotton Bowl.

Now he is ours. And talk about an about face. From Claeys' slow, southern drawl and the 300-plus pounds he carried, to the fit-as-a-fiddle Fleck sprinting from one end of the practice field to the other, and always talking equally fast, with one motivational line spewing after the other.

And you know what? Minnesota football fans couldn't be luckier than to have this 36-year-old human geyser.

With Fleck, who also happens to possess the good looks of an actor, you get the feeling that he is much more than an act or a look.

Sitting down with him Monday before he spoke to the Gophers fans at Somerby, he wasn't quite as kinetic as you see on television, but it was close.

Fleck wants to be here, in part because he was looking to take the next step in his coaching career, in part because Coyle is here as Minnesota's athletic director (he considers Coyle a "rock star" in his field), and in part because he loves a challenge.

Fleck had a challenge when he showed up at Western Michigan, where he went from 1-11 his first season, to 8-5, 8-5 and finally 13-1 in his four years. And now he has one at Minnesota.

"They haven't won a championship here in over 50 years," Fleck said. "There have been a lot of coaches here in 50 years who've tried to do it. But that is what is exciting for me and fuels me every day. I want kids to think differently than they ever have before about Minnesota football."

And he wants the public to think differently about him than any other coach they've experienced. He says he has Coyle's blessing in being different, and to sell that difference.

"I'm not here to be compared to anyone else," Fleck said. "I'm here to be me and for our team to be us. This is about way more than football for me, and it is about way more than football for Coyle. That is why I think we're such a great fit.

"I want to show that this culture that I am trying to create here can make our players elite human beings. We're here not just to win games, but to build a championship culture. I'm here to build better men. That's what I do."

If he pulls off all of that, plus wins and wins big, he'll achieve his ultimate goal.

"I want to build a legacy," Fleck said. "And I want to build it here."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_1803178a-6d31-5a0f-addb-a7ba456445a6.html

Go Gophers!!

This is what makes me excited for him to be the U's coach and happy that I get a chance to see what he can do. I always respected Brewster for talking BiG championships and everyone mocked him. You gotta dream big! Mas' chants of "We are Minnesota! Who do you think we are!" Just bugged the hell out of me. If PJF fails at least he's going to die on the sword and I respect that. Let's go PJ, prove the naysayers wrong!

The more I hear him talk about the culture change, the more I realize that Coyle had already hired him when he fired Claeys (or at least had an agreement in place). It makes Coyle's statements a lot more obvious.

Top Bottom