Gophers officially moving practices from afternoon to 6:30am

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

MORNING PRACTICES

The Gophers will switch from afternoon to morning practices in the fall. They will start at about 6:30 a.m. and wrap up all football-related commitments, including meetings and weightlifting, by 11:30. Fleck made a similar switch after going 1-11 in his first season at Western Michigan and went 8-5 in his second season.

“I thought it changed everything,” Fleck said. “We can get them up early and everyone is accounted for and they are getting up at the same time, with breakfast for them, so we can stimulate that brain and heart instead of getting up and going to class in their pajamas.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...t-holders-increasing-since-p-j-flecks-hiring/

Go Gophers!!

Very much a discipline issue.

I now wonder if the first thing our student athletes are required to do each day is make their beds...?

Works for the military...why not the Gophers?

Very much a discipline issue.

I now wonder if the first thing our student-athletes are required to do each day is make their beds...?

Works for the military...why not the Gophers?

I mean Gopher Basketball practiced at 6:30 am with Tubby. It's not that big of a deal. It's better for the players because it will be easier to find classes

I think the greatest benefit of this is controlling their breakfast intake. Obviously this could already be happening, but now they have a better way to dictate what, and when breakfast is eaten.

I think the greatest benefit of this is controlling their breakfast intake. Obviously this could already be happening, but now they have a better way to dictate what, and when breakfast is eaten.

I would say the best thing is that it reduces going out the night before if you have to be at football at 630 the next day

A bigger benefit is it curtails players staying up too late during the week.

A bigger benefit is it curtails players staying up too late during the week.

R263QGU.gif

The other thing is mornings are usually the best time to be the most productive. If you practice at 3:30p every day then the players and coaches have been going at it for 8 hours already between duties and classes, etc. I am way more productive at work at 8am than I am at 5pm.

I would say the best thing is that it reduces going out the night before if you have to be at football at 630 the next day

Exactly, you can't go drinking or partying and show up for 6:30AM practice undiscovered. We are talking culture. I just hope we have no late afternoon or night games. 11am start times will be perfect for this schedule.

to each his own. some coaches want players to take care of classes and 'school' obligations in the morning, then focus on FB in the afternoon.

I could see where, if a player had a hard morning practice, it could be tough sitting through afternoon classes. (zzzzzzzz)

In my college days, I always liked getting the classes out of the way in the morning, so I could focus on drinking in the afternoon. (that is, assuming I got up and went to class in the morning......)

I'm trying to think of something that matters less than this. Let me get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to think of something that matters less than this. Let me get back to you.

The p*ssing matches between you and johnny?

Nick Barikmo says that practicing at 6:30 is KEY. After all, Leidner practiced in the pm and look how that turned out.

Guessing that's what they want to avoid.

Wouldn't they be just as likely to skip an afternoon class?
I believe this a 6 of one, half dozen of the other kind of argument.

Players don't/won't miss class either way, because the coaches are checking up on them and if they don't show, something not good happens to them.

Wouldn't they be just as likely to skip an afternoon class?
I believe this a 6 of one, half dozen of the other kind of argument.

Players don't/won't miss class either way, because the coaches are checking up on them and if they don't show, something not good happens to them.

Not just about being in class, but being attentive as well. I believe the thought is you're more alert and focused on school if you've been awake for 5+ hours and have all your football obligations taken care of. That's basically what he said in Winona on Monday (video on Gophers' facebook).

Why do you bother?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not just about being in class, but being attentive as well. I believe the thought is you're more alert and focused on school if you've been awake for 5+ hours and have all your football obligations taken care of. That's basically what he said in Winona on Monday (video on Gophers' facebook).

or after 5+ hours of morning practice, weight lifting and film study, you're too tired to really focus on class. Thus my 6 of one half dozen of the other comment

or after 5+ hours of morning practice, weight lifting and film study, you're too tired to really focus on class. Thus my 6 of one half dozen of the other comment

What kind of practice goes 5+ hours?

or after 5+ hours of morning practice, weight lifting and film study, you're too tired to really focus on class. <b>Thus my 6 of one half dozen of the other </b>comment

Potato Potato is the obvious right answer. If there was some advantage one way or the other then every coach would do it. They all have their preferences. Good for the U accommodating our coach's preference. Shame on anyone reporting this as "news" or asking PJF "why did you do that". I get this is the offseason, but man is this a non-story. I can't wait for the first player interviewed and being asked "how do you like morning practice." That will be interesting. Maybe teams who practice in the afternoon can use this as bulletin board material? I'd rather discuss the EOAA.

They're not here to play school!

What kind of practice goes 5+ hours?

Was responding to Joshv comment. and from the original post to this:
The Gophers will switch from afternoon to morning practices in the fall. They will start at about 6:30 a.m. and wrap up all football-related commitments, including meetings and weightlifting, by 11:30. Fleck made a similar switch after going 1-11 in his first season at Western Michigan and went 8-5 in his second season.

So take away the + and as PJF stated it will be 5 hours of practice, meetings and weightlifting. And I still stand by it doesn't matter if they practice in the morning or in the afternoon, For every positive that can be said about one, a negative can also be said about it. I also prefer Tomato Tomoto

Top Bottom