Nick Barikmo: What to expect in the post-Mitch Leidner era

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Barikmo:

Following years of mediocracy and getting perpetually beaten by their Big Ten foes, Minnesota Football fans have been thirsty for success. Although it seems longer, it was only three seasons ago that the Gophers handed the reigns of their program to local hero Mitch Leidner. The 6’3” quarterback was Minnesota’s best chance at real NFL talent since wide receiver Eric Decker got drafted in 2010. Coming into school, Leidner was expected to be a dual-threat quarterback who was as dangerous with his feet as he was with his arm. Unfortunately for Gopher fans, he turned out to be… something else.

Leidner’s career started off normal enough, but with little talent surrounding him, he had fairly pedestrian numbers his first two years as starter. Despite his forgettable stats, many NFL analysts projected Leidner being drafted in the first or second round of the draft going into his senior year. But Leidner was destined to prove them wrong, firing a grand total of 8 touchdown passes to go along with 12 interceptions in a disappointing final season, which was epitomized by a complete and utter meltdown in his regular-season finale against the Wisconsin Badgers. After going into halftime up 17-7 against the 6th ranked Badgers, Leidner fell apart, throwing 4 (yes, 4) second-half interceptions en route to a 31-17 loss. It was truly the most “Leidner” game that ever was.

But now, times are changing for Minnesota Football. The Gophers are the most old-school football team in the most old-school conference in college football; they run the ball on offense and stop the run on defense. Despite poor quarterback play, the Gophers managed nine wins last season on the back of their running game. During the 2016 season, Minnesota out-ran their opponents by an average of over 65 yards per game. And featuring what could be the best running back duo in the conference, new head coach PJ Fleck and his offense look to effectively run the ball again this year. Standout backs Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith will continue to be the Gophers’ 1-2 punch, with Kobe McCrary looking to show his big-play ability whenever he gets his chances.

Outside of the backfield, wide receiver Rashad Still should expect more touches coming off a season plagued by a nagging shoulder injury. Although he did not manage a touchdown reception, Still was second on team in receiving yards and led the team in yards per catch at a whopping 19.4. For better or worse, Still will have a new quarterback throwing to him, likely to be sophomore Demry Croft. Croft plays similarly to Leidner’s style, but is hopefully a better decision-maker. Croft is very quick on his feet, and should give the Gophers a better chance at effectively utilizing the option, which would help open up the outside of the field for Still and other receivers.

For Minnesota Football, the worst is in the rearview, at least on paper. With a lot of returning talent and a new quarterback who looks ready to win, the Gophers could very well make some noise in the Big Ten this year and maybe even years to come.

http://www.isportsweb.com/2017/05/23/minnesota-football-expect-post-mitch-leidner-era/

Go Gophers!!

mediocracy

Trying to use a big word that he doesn't understand

Minnesota Football

Oddly-Placed Capitalization

*reins

was Minnesota’s best chance at real NFL talent since wide receiver Eric Decker got drafted in 2010

lolwut? Never mind the two 2nd-rounders we've had selected since Decker (both drafted higher than 3rd-round Decker, btw), let alone the multiple other NFL draft picks in the last few seasons.

Despite his forgettable stats, many NFL analysts projected Leidner being drafted in the first or second round of the draft going into his senior year.

Apparently, "one" equals "many".

It was truly the most “Leidner” game that ever was.

Indeed, it truly epitomized his career - except for the fact that it contained the most interceptions he'd ever thrown in a game, and moreover the fact that he won far more than he lost over the course of his career. Yes, absolutely a classic "Leidner" tilt.

But now, times are changing for Minnesota Football.

Again With The Odd Capitalization

The Gophers are the most old-school football team in the most old-school conference in college football; they run the ball on offense and stop the run on defense.

Do they, though? How do we know? This coaching staff hasn't been on the field for a single game for their current employer.

Croft is very quick on his feet

Not really

and should give the Gophers a better chance at effectively utilizing the option

Based on what? Leidner is among the leading rushers in Gophers QB history.

For Minnesota Football

Again - But Why?

Other than these (and many other errors that I didn't include), it was a great article! I'll give Nick the benefit of the doubt and assume he's in high school, or perhaps college.

Who is Barikmo?

per Barikmo:

Following years of mediocracy and getting perpetually beaten by their Big Ten foes, Minnesota Football fans have been thirsty for success.

Abe_Simpson_in_and_out.gif

What is isportsweb? Bleed, I love your posting but I sometimes wonder how you find this stuff.

Trying to use a big word that he doesn't understand

Oddly-Placed Capitalization

*reins

lolwut? Never mind the two 2nd-rounders we've had selected since Decker (both drafted higher than 3rd-round Decker, btw), let alone the multiple other NFL draft picks in the last few seasons.

Apparently, "one" equals "many".

Indeed, it truly epitomized his career - except for the fact that it contained the most interceptions he'd ever thrown in a game, and moreover the fact that he won far more than he lost over the course of his career. Yes, absolutely a classic "Leidner" tilt.

Again With The Odd Capitalization

Do they, though? How do we know? This coaching staff hasn't been on the field for a single game for their current employer.

Not really

Based on what? Leidner is among the leading rushers in Gophers QB history.

Again - But Why?

Other than these (and many other errors that I didn't include), it was a great article! I'll give Nick the benefit of the doubt and assume he's in high school, or perhaps college.
I think he means the 1st native Minnesotan to get drafted, since Decker.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not to mention the fact that the author is unaware - or overlooks the fact - that Leidner was never expected to be the starter. That was "supposed" to be Phil Nelson - the higher-rated recruit. Nelson, for whatever reason, was not able to establish clear title to the position, and the coaches apparently saw something they liked in Leidner, leading to the two of them splitting time. It still might have been a competition, but Nelson chose to leave. effectively handing the job to Leidner.

The author makes it sound like Leidner was a can't miss prospect who flopped. In truth, Leidner was an enigma - he showed enough talent to be tantalizing, but he never overcame the inconsistencies that marked his career.

Give the guy a break. He was probably asked to write 130 of these little articles in a short time. Plenty of national writers screw up the details us super fans can recite in our sleep. The misspellings are unforgiveable so be my guest to damn him to hell on those.

Give the guy a break. He was probably asked to write 130 of these little articles in a short time. Plenty of national writers screw up the details us super fans can recite in our sleep. The misspellings are unforgiveable so be my guest to damn him to hell on those.

If you click on his byline for that article, he's a Gopher fan. Based on a quick Google search and putting some pieces together, I'd guess he's a student at the U.

I expect passes not sailing five feet over the intended target and more TD's than INT's.

This kid is a student at the U and from wisconsin. I don't expect anything different from the likes of people like this. I wouldn't have even posted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Per Barikmo" has excellent potential as a meme

Coming into school, Leidner was expected to be a dual-threat quarterback who was as dangerous with his feet as he was with his arm. Unfortunately for Gopher fans, he turned out to be… something else.

He was a guy that wasn't highly recruited and was expected to be a backup QB or converted to TE.

He was a guy that wasn't highly recruited and was expected to be a backup QB or converted to TE.

I seem to remember that very much being the case, although he had decent offers and was a high 3 star I think. Nelson was a 4 star and supposed to be MN's savior. Had better offers than Leidner too I think.this all happened so long ago tho, and they're both gone... sooo.... anyway yeah the guy that wrote this doesn't quite know what he's talking about in most of it.

I seem to remember that very much being the case, although he had decent offers and was a high 3 star I think. Nelson was a 4 star and supposed to be MN's savior. Had better offers than Leidner too I think.this all happened so long ago tho, and they're both gone... sooo.... anyway yeah the guy that wrote this doesn't quite know what he's talking about in most of it.

2 star on rivals and low 3 star on 247. Only other offer shown is N. Iowa.

2 star on rivals and low 3 star on 247. Only other offer shown is N. Iowa.

Didn't Iowa want him? But your right 3 star at best. 2 star seems low since it's basically the lowest u can get right? But yeah I was agreeing with the previous guy that Nelson was supposed to be the man and Mitch the back up.

Mitch was an afterthought (at least with fans, obviously the staff knew of him) and the staff watched him the summer going into his senior at a 7-7 tournament. IIRC they offered him after the tournament.

Top Bottom