Rumor: Gophers ACC Challenge opponent is a huge one.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but - someone is going to play a college hoops game at the Vikes stadium as a dry run/test for the upcoming final four. Is there any possibility they would combine that with the B1G/ACC challenge and have The Gophers play Duke at US Bank before a big freakin' crowd on national TV? would make for great optics. And Sid would be in 7th heaven telling stories about his close personal friend Mike K.

FWIW, I heard Kathleen Blatz on the Sports Huddle. (new head of the stadium commission). She said there will be a tune-up hoops game at the stadium, but wouldn't give specifics.

The gophs are playing at US Bank next year. Opponent or possible second game TBD

If Gophers play Duke and the game is played anywhere other than Williams Arena, I will be thoroughly impressed by the long arm of Coach K's immense power.

If Gophers play Duke and the game is played anywhere other than Williams Arena, I will be thoroughly impressed by the long arm of Coach K's immense power.

Him pushing to play at the Target Center would be the least shocking thing ever.

Him pushing to play at the Target Center would be the least shocking thing ever.

Yep, this is a matter of principle.

If a Gophers-Duke ACC Challenge game is not played at Williams Arena, it'd be a farce. Would be another example of people kowtowing to the Alphabet Man, and his far-reaching clout (see North Carolina law thingie getting resolved not long after K had to play and lost a "road" tournament game to South Carolina).

Yes, there'd be more people at Target Center, The X, or US Bank Stadium, but that's not the point. If that's who Gophers are playing, this needs to be on their true home court.

Yep, this is a matter of principle.

If a Gophers-Duke ACC Challenge game is not played at Williams Arena, it'd be a farce. Would be another example of people kowtowing to the Alphabet Man, and his far-reaching clout (see North Carolina law thingie getting resolved not long after K had to play and lost a "road" tournament game to South Carolina)

Yes, there'd be more people at Target Center, The X, or US Bank Stadium, but that's not the point. If that's who Gophers are playing, this needs to be on their true home court.

Home games for Duke in the challenge shouldn't be at Cameron if attendance is a factor.

Duke has not played neutral site game in the challenge since 2002.

Since then they have played at:

Bloomington
East Lansing
Columbus
West Lafayette
Madison x2

Bloomington
East Lansing
Columbus
West Lafayette
Madison x2

So you're saying its fake news that Duke doesnt play true road games in the challenge?

Bloomington
East Lansing
Columbus
West Lafayette
Madison x2

Point taken. That is encouraging.

I'm leery of Coach K anytime there's mention of the possibility of a true road game for the Dukies.

When is the schedule coming out? Last year we knew by the end of May didn't we?

Reusse's source may be someone at the U who, like us, believes it *should* be Duke and *hopes* it is Duke, but doesn't know yet. We now we're not getting UNC, so anyone else would be a disappointment at this point.

Coach K more than owes us this game anyway, for Tyus Jones and Gary Trent (and probably doesn't mind coming here given that he has set himself up a nice little pipeline to Apple Valley). Hell, he should be playing games at Williams Arena for the next 10 years as payback.

How do we know we aren't getting UNC? Do they not participate in the challenge this year?

How do we know we aren't getting UNC? Do they not participate in the challenge this year?

North Carolina played a road game last year, like we did, so Minnesota and North Carolina will both likely get home games. Duke has had home games the last two years. Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, Virginia, Florida State, and Clemson were all at home last year, so it's likely, assuming we get a home game, that our opponent will be one of them.

It is possible, teams have played back-to-back home or road games in the Challenge, but North Carolina is due for a home game this year.

If Duke is 1A in terms of a desirable opponent at The Barn, Carolina would be 1B. One could argue Carolina as defending national champion would be 1A.

It is possible, teams have played back-to-back home or road games in the Challenge, but North Carolina is due for a home game this year.

If Duke is 1A in terms of a desirable opponent at The Barn, Carolina would be 1B. One could argue Carolina as defending national champion would be 1A.

Rather have Louisville.

North Carolina played a road game last year, like we did, so Minnesota and North Carolina will both likely get home games. Duke has had home games the last two years. Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, Virginia, Florida State, and Clemson were all at home last year, so it's likely, assuming we get a home game, that our opponent will be one of them.

Ahh I see. I wonder if that's why we seem to get paired up with FSU/Virginia/Miami so much. If they try and go home/away every other year for all teams, there's really only half the league to pick from on each side.

I'd agree that UNC would probably be 1A for me. Defending champs, history of players (especially with Jordan), etc. Maybe winner of the game keeps their most recent Final 4 banner?

Minnesota vs. North Carolina in the Academic Fraud Game!

Star Spangled Banner to be sung by Gandelhoff.

That would be a bit spooky.

You wouldn't actually see Gandlehoff, she would be singing from the press box or locker room while Bobby Jackson lip synchs on the court.

You wouldn't actually see Gandlehoff, she would be singing from the press box or locker room while Bobby Jackson lip synchs on the court.

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that

:clap: I'm on board. Just as the song ends, our 1997 banner re-appears.

Their players are going to be attending classes and UNC has an agreement with the NCAA not to play any games outside of the Eastern Time Zone.

Top Bottom