Rumor: Gophers ACC Challenge opponent is a huge one.

I love speculation. Unless its the same guy over and over, I don't mind it. Its fun.

Speculation is fine, but OP just said "rumor has it" without even stating where the rumor is from.

Speculation is fine, but OP just said "rumor has it" without even stating where the rumor is from.

Yea, Doogie said on his most recent podcast he doubts it's Duke or UNC. He thinks Cuse or Louisville are most likely. He didn't back it up with any sources so it may be a guess as well, but I'll take that over a random comment on a message board with no sources provided. I think it'll be Louisville or Miami

Well somebody has to play UNC and Duke. My thinking is one will play Minnesota and the other plays Purdue. I guess Michigan can be a possibility as well. MSU has Duke scheduled for non conference and will be in UNC's bracket for pk80. I would think MSU will draw Louisville or Notre Dame at home this year.

Well somebody has to play UNC and Duke. My thinking is one will play Minnesota and the other plays Purdue. I guess Michigan can be a possibility as well. MSU has Duke scheduled for non conference and will be in UNC's bracket for pk80. I would think MSU will draw Louisville or Notre Dame at home this year.

Now this is intelligent speculation!

Now this is intelligent speculation!

Agree.

Spartans 67 is exactly right. MSU won't be playing Duke, so among the B1G teams expected to get home games that leaves Purdue, the Gophers, and Iowa (in that order) as the only logical choices.

If either Michigan or Northwestern get awarded a home game for the second straight year, that probably squelches the Gophers chances of drawing Duke. If Wagner and Wilson both return, I fear that's what will happen. ESPN likely would have a chubby for a Duke-Michigan matchup, but it would have to be in Ann Arbor. Duke has played at home two straight years.

Agree.

Spartans 67 is exactly right. MSU won't be playing Duke, so among the B1G teams expected to get home games that leaves Purdue, the Gophers, and Iowa (in that order) as the only logical choices.

If either Michigan or Northwestern get awarded a home game for the second straight year, that probably squelches the Gophers chances of drawing Duke. If Wagner and Wilson both return, I fear that's what will happen. ESPN likely would have a chubby for a Duke-Michigan matchup, but it would have to be in Ann Arbor. Duke has played at home two straight years.

Duke v Northwestern would blow up ESPN's brain.

Isn't it true that Coach K would rather play at Neutral sites? I could see Duke vs NW at United Center.

Technically all of NW home games are on a neutral site next year, they're playing at the Allstate Arena in Rosemount where Depaul plays

Technically all of NW home games are on a neutral site next year, they're playing at the Allstate Arena in Rosemount where Depaul plays

Despite the recent momentum of the Cats' basketball program, playing in Allstate is going to be horrible for them. It'll be a ghost town, as getting there is a pain in the a$$, it costs $20 to park and the arena is a total $hit hole. And historically, NW basketball fans have had a hard enough time traveling to Evanston to fill 8,100-seat Welsh-Ryan for a game; I can't see them coming close to filling an arena with a capacity of 17,500 for hoops that's 20 miles from campus.

Despite the recent momentum of the Cats' basketball program, playing in Allstate is going to be horrible for them. It'll be a ghost town, as getting there is a pain in the a$$, it costs $20 to park and the arena is a total $hit hole. And historically, NW basketball fans have had a hard enough time traveling to Evanston to fill 8,100-seat Welsh-Ryan for a game; I can't see them coming close to filling an arena with a capacity of 17,500 for hoops that's 20 miles from campus.

What about all those DePaul fans desperate for a home win?

Probably the worst offramp in the country. (I've not driven many places outside of the midwest)

This is setting up all too well for prime time date at home with Virginia Tech (who actually would be a very solid opponent, nonetheless).

This is setting up all too well for prime time date at home with Virginia Tech (who actually would be a very solid opponent, nonetheless).

With the announcement of them playing @ Kentucky this year, I doubt they'll have a road game in the challenge, coupled with playing a road game last year, my guess is they would get a home game this year.

Duke would be cool because they won't come here otherwise.

If Duke came here I would pay the premium to sit behind their bench just to heckle Shashevski.

It's gonna be yuge, Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PK80 Projections

https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/869568916166762496

Wonder if this announcement regarding the PK80 tournament will have an affect on when they announce the ACC/B1G challenge games. I doubt they announce tomorrow now.

Here's a stab at the PK80 brackets. (bracket names fictional)

Nike Bracket
1 North Carolina vs. 8 Portland
4 Butler vs. 5 Arkansas
2 Michigan State vs. 7 UConn
3 Oregon vs. 6 Texas

Swoosh Bracket
1 Duke vs. 8 Portland State
4 Oklahoma vs. 5 Georgetown
2 Gonzaga vs. 7 Stanford
3 Florida vs. 6 Ohio State

Not a bad few days of Holiday Hoops watching.

Here's a stab at the PK80 brackets. (bracket names fictional)

Nike Bracket
1 North Carolina vs. 8 Portland
4 Butler vs. 5 Arkansas
2 Michigan State vs. 7 UConn
3 Oregon vs. 6 Texas

Swoosh Bracket
1 Duke vs. 8 Portland State
4 Oklahoma vs. 5 Georgetown
2 Gonzaga vs. 7 Stanford
3 Florida vs. 6 Ohio State

Not a bad few days of Holiday Hoops watching.

I looked on the website and couldn't see how this one is structured. Will they play this out to a champion? So hypothetically 4 rounds?

I looked on the website and couldn't see how this one is structured. Will they play this out to a champion? So hypothetically 4 rounds?

2 8-team brackets, 3 games, 2 champions.

Teams are allowed to add a 4th (non-bracketed game) at a home site, if they choose.

f836ee5111117f3f45ad43132b7f2f55.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this just Reusse speculation? Haven't seen confirmation from any other media outlets.

Top Bottom