Rumor: Gophers ACC Challenge opponent is a huge one.

4four4

Reaction score
Rumor has it Duke is coming to Williams arena for the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

You have a source?
Saw it on twitter?
Somewhere/something else?

Would be sweet. Beat them and show Tre where he needs to go to school.

Duke would be huge but I think Louisville and the possibility of of Richard beating his father at home would be a little cooler.

Duke would be huge but I think Louisville and the possibility of of Richard beating his father at home would be a little cooler.

I'm kind of sick of the father-son angle. They've already played, Rick Sr. shows up at several games a year and the announcers talk about it endlessly, and we hear about Louisville all the time. Not to mention, Louisville isn't even a "real" ACC team.

Duke or UNC coming to Williams Arena would be the only "huge" opponents.

Agree.

Duke and Carolina only ones that would be "huge". They're 2 of the all-time blue bloods.

However, I'd take Louisville or Notre Dame, too. An opponent outside of those 4 this season would be "meh".

You don't think there would be endless Gary Trent Jr. comes back home commentary?

Beats the home team he spurned for Duke. <==this would be bad for Tre recruiting

I would love it to be UNC and then we could rehang our banners before the game...if they get to keep their banners, we get to keep ours!

That would be a game changer to see Duke come to The Barn. I'll believe it when I see it though. I don't wanna get my hopes up and then we end up getting FSU or UVA for the 15th time.

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that he "doubts it will be Duke or North Carolina" for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, but the marquee matchup could be Louisville or Syracuse.

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/2017/05/thad-levine-gophers-road-trip-ep-76/

Go Gophers!!

I would be extremely disappointed with getting Syracuse. They didn't make the tournament last year, lost their 4 best players and might not even be an NCAA Tournament caliber team next year. Plus they played at Wisconsin last year, so they should conceivably get a home game. If it's not Duke we need to play Louisville or ND, those are the only other two options I'll be fine with.

I'm kind of sick of the father-son angle. They've already played, Rick Sr. shows up at several games a year and the announcers talk about it endlessly, and we hear about Louisville all the time. Not to mention, Louisville isn't even a "real" ACC team.

I'm with you.

I would be extremely disappointed with getting Syracuse. They didn't make the tournament last year, lost their 4 best players and might not even be an NCAA Tournament caliber team next year. Plus they played at Wisconsin last year, so they should conceivably get a home game. If it's not Duke we need to play Louisville or ND, those are the only other two options I'll be fine with.

Yep, anything less than Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, or Notre Dame and it means Gophers are getting hosed. My guess is we get Louisville, Notre Dame, Miami, or Duke, in that order.

Coach K is probably agreeable to this. Play in a venue he's never coached in ( I think), play a team he's positive he can beat, which means a quality road win, bring Trent home.

I would say this could help land Tre, but I think signing day is before this.

We might actually get Williams back to the way it used to be, at least for one night.

They've played 1 time in 4 years? I get getting sick of the announcers but it's not like the number of times we've played against florida state(3 times in 5 years)...

I'd take a home game vs Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, or UNC as a "Big" matchup compared to what we're used to. I know some are better than others but they'd all be better opponents than who we normally play at home.

Coach K is probably agreeable to this. Play in a venue he's never coached in ( I think), play a team he's positive he can beat, which means a quality road win, bring Trent home.

I would say this could help land Tre, but I think signing day is before this.

We might actually get Williams back to the way it used to be, at least for one night.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a spring recruit.

Would you rather play Duke and lose or play Louisville/Notre Dame/Syracuse and win?

I'm not saying we aren't capable of beating Duke, I'm just saying I'd rather have a power 6 win than a loss. I want the highest ranked ACC team we match up well against.

So who is that?

Would you rather play Duke and lose or play Louisville/Notre Dame/Syracuse and win?

I'm not saying we aren't capable of beating Duke, I'm just saying I'd rather have a power 6 win than a loss. I want the highest ranked ACC team we match up well against.

So who is that?

I'd rather play Duke and see how it turns out. No-brainer.

How often is a program of the Gophers' ilk gonna' get a chance (presumably) to host Duke? The stars are aligned perfectly. Gophers are due to host in the Challenge. Duke is due to go on the road in the Challenge. Gophers arguably may have their best team since 1997. Perhaps for once the powers that be in the B1G/ACC will think outside the box and give someone else a chance to play the Dukies?

If we're ever getting a blueblood at The Barn, now's the time.

I'll make my best effort to come to whichever "yuge" ACC opponent we get. I was at the Badger Duke game a couple years ago, that was a fun event.

Hopefully we aren't counting up Power 6 wins at the end of the year to get into the tournament. If we are, the year would be pretty disappointing. I'll take one of the blue bloods.

Hope it's true. If not, UVa is a quality opponent. :cool:

Is the Arkansas road game confirmed? I'm all for a tough non-conference, but Duke, @Providence @Arkansas + the other games already confirmed could get to be a bit MSU-like.

When is this announcement supposed to happen. Curiosity is killing me and the cat

So OP starts thread, doesn't give any source, then bails. Great

Is the Arkansas road game confirmed? I'm all for a tough non-conference, but Duke, @Providence @Arkansas + the other games already confirmed could get to be a bit MSU-like.

It's a strong non-conference schedule especially if we get Duke, but it wouldn't compare to MSU last year. They had three preseason top ten teams (including #1) plus Baylor who went on to be ranked number 1 in the nation. Throw in Wichita State on top of all that too. None of them at home. Just absurd.

Top Bottom