Rumor: Gophers ACC Challenge opponent is a huge one.

Don't think anyone at the U really knows. Maybe Pitino, but definitely not the players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was more chatter amongst the team about the possibility of Duke being our opponent with the news last week that Swanigan is officially staying in the draft. The most logical choices to host Duke in the challenge were always Purdue and Minnesota with Northwestern being a dark horse. Swanigan going pro only helped our chances. With him gone it is a very real possibility that we host Duke. Last week Doogie tweeted that he talked with a member of the coaching staff about who he thought the opponent would be. Coach said Louisville or Notre Dame, and kind of dismissed the possibility of Duke. Believe that was before the pro decision from Swanigan came out. I don't think Reusse really knows much more than the rest of us, but he's putting two and two together and seeing that serious speculation is warranted

So you're speculating on his Pat's speculation?

I just think it's funny how certain almost everyone seems to be that there is no way that Reusse might have a legit source who talked to some players. Dude has been around for 40+ years. If he was just speculating, why would he not just say "It's an educated guess"? At this point in his career, does he really have a need to lie about his source?

So you're speculating on his Pat's speculation?

Nah, I'm doing the same thing he is. Speculating about Duke being our opponent because it makes quite a bit of sense that Duke would be our opponent.

Though I guess in some ways you could say I'm speculating about what Pat is speculating that the players are speculating.

My point was that no one should need an inside source or media member to tell them that Duke is a very real possibility for our challenge game

Does anyone think that Jay Bilas would know before PAT. The ACC beat writers do not know and the Georgia Tech head coach does not know. The speculation is that it is Notre Dame, Duke or Miami. The theory is that they match teams close to the top 3. By that Duke is a 33 % chance of being that team. I would have guessed N. Dame or V. TECH. FYI, GRAHAM is a very connected writer for the Augusta free press. Interesting that the Duke Message boards pay no attention to the speculation of the challenge schedule and did not even pay much attention when they were sent to Madison. It is because their schedule is full of titanic conference rivals.

Does anyone think that Jay Bilas would know before PAT. The ACC beat writers do not know and the Georgia Tech head coach does not know. The speculation is that it is Notre Dame, Duke or Miami. The theory is that they match teams close to the top 3. By that Duke is a 33 % chance of being that team. I would have guessed N. Dame or V. TECH. FYI, GRAHAM is a very connected writer for the Augusta free press. Interesting that the Duke Message boards pay no attention to the speculation of the challenge schedule and did not even pay much attention when they were sent to Madison. It is because their schedule is full of titanic conference rivals.

Not really that interesting, we're in a different place than Duke. We're working our tails off for respect, top recruits and rebuilding the right legacy. Duke has those, playing and beating a Duke is a path to the goal.

I just think it's funny how certain almost everyone seems to be that there is no way that Reusse might have a legit source who talked to some players. Dude has been around for 40+ years. If he was just speculating, why would he not just say "It's an educated guess"? At this point in his career, does he really have a need to lie about his source?

If you are looking for breaking news Reusse isn't your guy and there are many better people for that but if it is criticism and cynicism and articles about days gone by then he's your guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it has now been 2 days since Reusse tweeted that. And not a single reporter has confirmed this. Pretty safe to say he has no idea and just throwing crap out there.

Shama chimes in:

There is some speculation that when the ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchups are announced the Gophers will host Duke at Williams Arena. The Blue Devils are ranked No. 3 by Sportingsnews.com, and the Gophers have never played them in the Challenge. Minnesota is 1-2 historically (all neutral court games) against the famed program, with the last game coming in a 2013 Duke win in the Bahamas.

The Gophers are “drowning” in Challenge games against Florida State, having played the Seminoles three times in the last five years.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Shama chimes in:

There is some speculation that when the ACC/Big Ten Challenge matchups are announced the Gophers will host Duke at Williams Arena. The Blue Devils are ranked No. 3 by Sportingsnews.com, and the Gophers have never played them in the Challenge. Minnesota is 1-2 historically (all neutral court games) against the famed program, with the last game coming in a 2013 Duke win in the Bahamas.

The Gophers are “drowning” in Challenge games against Florida State, having played the Seminoles three times in the last five years.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Probably getting that from Reusse. Seems to be all speculation at this point.

You guys don't know me, but I am a friend that you can trust. I have it on very good authority that Duke is coming. It is confirmed. Prepare yourselves. Keep the chili hot.

You guys don't know me, but I am a friend that you can trust. I have it on very good authority that Duke is coming. It is confirmed. Prepare yourselves. Keep the chili hot.[/QUOTE

YES! RichmondInsider is back!

I can confirm that the entire Duke basketball program was seen at the Vu last night, and there was a private plane tracked from Durham to MSP

Why? Duke LaCrosse team did nothing wrong.

Yea. Anyone who thinks the Gopher football situation at the end of last year was bad (not saying it wasn't), read up on that case. Makes ours look like a dispute over extra detention in high school.

FWIW, I ran into some of the players and they do think it's Duke. But I couldn't tell if it was speculation or actual knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently only 2 scheduling conflicts among 4 teams to work out and finalize. Bilas says it will be Duke or ND going to Minnesota, one hang up is a disagreement on a neutral site game still unresolved.

Apparently only 2 scheduling conflicts among 4 teams to work out and finalize. Bilas says it will be Duke or ND going to Minnesota, one hang up is a disagreement on a neutral site game still unresolved.

Duke fears the Barn...sounds about right...bunch of pussies.

So is that one way of saying Duke doesn't want to play a true road game?

Where did he say this?

No, it is the conferences sorting out who could be featured in a stand alone neutral game and where it would be. It is well known that Duke prefers a big arena neutral game in the past against a marquee program but they have traveled to really tough places in the challenge. In their recent NCAA title year they went to UW AND WON. Pretty sure Duke fears no one. This is likely about trying to fit a game between NW and ND at the United Center. Facility availabilty and TV decide these things. The TV part is very much a ratings deal and the reality is that Duke, UNC, Indiana and MSU do very well nationally and then you add Louisville, ND. The ACC has enough of a national footprint that it should be no problem to put Duke and Minnesota together if the facility dates work.

Makes sense for NW to play their challenge game at the United Center, especially if they are getting a good opponent. Not like their actual home arena is available anyways

Top Bottom