Rumor: Gophers ACC Challenge opponent is a huge one.

Here's a stab at the PK80 brackets. (bracket names fictional)

Nike Bracket
1 North Carolina vs. 8 Portland
4 Butler vs. 5 Arkansas
2 Michigan State vs. 7 UConn
3 Oregon vs. 6 Texas

Swoosh Bracket
1 Duke vs. 8 Portland State
4 Oklahoma vs. 5 Georgetown
2 Gonzaga vs. 7 Stanford
3 Florida vs. 6 Ohio State

Not a bad few days of Holiday Hoops watching.

That's going to be a phenomenal 3 days of basketball. If I were projecting out going from best team to worst, I'd flip Ohio State and Stanford as I think Stanford will be better next year, but that's just splitting hairs at this point.

Is this just Reusse speculation? Haven't seen confirmation from any other media outlets.

On one of his later Tweets, Reusse says "Regarding Duke scoop, I heard it from a guy. It's Twitter. If it ends up being wrong, we'll sue him."

So I guess we know it's not just a guess for clicks.

Think what you want about Reusse, but he isn't the type to throw things out there and see if it sticks

Think what you want about Reusse, but he isn't the type to throw things out there and see if it sticks

You mean like when he tweeted that Tyus and Rashad and maybe Reid announced at halftime of a Gopher game that they won't be committing to the Gophers (can't remember the exact tweet, but it was something like this)? That was 100% fictional. This could very easily just be Reusse trolling Gopherhole/Gopher fans again.

You mean like when he tweeted that Tyus and Rashad and maybe Reid announced at halftime of a Gopher game that they won't be committing to the Gophers (can't remember the exact tweet, but it was something like this)? That was 100% fictional. This could very easily just be Reusse trolling Gopherhole/Gopher fans again.

That was obviously a joke.

Reusse is on 1500 now and talked about it more. Said that he spoke to "a guy who knows a few players and talked to them and they told this guy that it's happening."

Sounding more and more like this Duke game will happen!

Which part? JimmiJamesMD's post? Reusse's tweet that I referenced? Him claiming we play Duke?

When he said that everyone announced they weren't committing to Minnesota after our horrible 1st half against someone.

When he said that everyone announced they weren't committing to Minnesota after our horrible 1st half against someone.

Right, but I'm just pointing out that he has a history of trolling Gopher fans. With this thread, he could have thought it was another good opportunity to troll us. I didn't hear what he had to say about this, so maybe this one is more believable.

Right, but I'm just pointing out that he has a history of trolling Gopher fans. With this thread, he could have thought it was another good opportunity to troll us. I didn't hear what he had to say about this, so maybe this one is more believable.

I could see a Tweet to troll fans, but the fact that he mentioned it twice on his afternoon radio show and even asked the show producer if he was able to get confirmation yet from the U seems to leave his credibility pretty exposed if it was just a joke.

Funny enough we were actually winning when he made the tweet. It was during the game against Northwestern at the Barn in 2012-13. We had a 17-14 halftime lead, so it was admittedly pretty painful to watch, but we scored 52 in the second half to cruise to an 18 point victory.

Reusse said something about how after watching the first half of the game, Tyus Jones eliminated Minnesota from consideration or something, and then Tyus himself tweeted at Reusse to correct him that he had done no such thing. Other people involved in the national basketball recruiting scene, people who don't know who Reusse is, probably thought he was being serious.

I could see a Tweet to troll fans, but the fact that he mentioned it twice on his afternoon radio show and even asked the show producer if he was able to get confirmation yet from the U seems to leave his credibility pretty exposed if it was just a joke.

How much credibility does he have to expose?

I'm not buying that Patrick was the first one who would break this story. Too many other people pay close attention to this stuff to have him getting the scoop. He could be right but I bet he's guessing.

Funny enough we were actually winning when he made the tweet. It was during the game against Northwestern at the Barn in 2012-13. We had a 17-14 halftime lead, so it was admittedly pretty painful to watch, but we scored 52 in the second half to cruise to an 18 point victory.

Reusse said something about how after watching the first half of the game, Tyus Jones eliminated Minnesota from consideration or something, and then Tyus himself tweeted at Reusse to correct him that he had done no such thing. Other people involved in the national basketball recruiting scene, people who don't know who Reusse is, probably thought he was being serious.

Ah yes, was that the 2nd half where Austin Hollins went off?

How much credibility does he have to expose?

I'm not buying that Patrick was the first one who would break this story. Too many other people pay close attention to this stuff to have him getting the scoop.

He breaks news from time to time. The man doesn't have a ton of sources, but he has broken some big stories over the years. Sorry I don't have specifics.

So Reusse knows a guy that knows a few players, and that is his source on this? The players wouldnt know days ahead of time. They would maybe know a few hours before it was announced, but even then it would be leaked right away to someone who has actual credible sources within the U. If it does turn out we play Duke, it will not be broken by Reusse. Reusse may break news about the Twins, or the Meisville Mudhens, but nothing else.

So Reusse knows a guy that knows a few players, and that is his source on this? The players wouldnt know days ahead of time. They would maybe know a few hours before it was announced, but even then it would be leaked right away to someone who has actual credible sources within the U. If it does turn out we play Duke, it will not be broken by Reusse. Reusse may break news about the Twins, or the Meisville Mudhens, but nothing else.

A. I guarantee Pitino (and in turn the players) know well ahead of time about big games on the schedule. You really think Pitino wouldn't want to share with his players something like this? Also, it's likely ESPN has had a lot of the matchups set for some time and either had to wait to finalize a couple of the 14 games or wanted to wait for a certain date to announce them.

B. 4four4 started this thread of May 22 and said we had Duke in the ACC challenge. You really think it's coincidence that Reusse is also hearing the same info a week later. If he was just stealing this info from GH, he would have Tweeted it on May 22 or May 23.

C. Pitino said in his speech at the Gopher Road Trip kickoff that next year they "had the best schedule since he has been here."

D. I am not a Reusse supporter AT ALL, but I guess we will see who is right in the coming days.

It could be Duke but if Pitino knew so would the ACC coaches and three of the head coaches did not know as of last night. There are a ton of reporters from DC, to Durham to Atlanta who follow this maniacally . ESPN has the info first and as of yesterday they were still working facilities, scheduling for TV. I hope it is DUKE but no matter who it is i will be there. Chris Graham says we will will know by Friday.

It could be Duke but if Pitino knew so would the ACC coaches and three of the head coaches did not know as of last night. There are a ton of reporters from DC, to Durham to Atlanta who follow this maniacally . ESPN has the info first and as of yesterday they were still working facilities, scheduling for TV. I hope it is DUKE but no matter who it is i will be there. Chris Graham says we will will know by Friday.

Who is Chris Graham?

I'm just going to go ahead and assume the Gophers are playing Duke so I can set myself up for disappointment. The rumor is out there, so I'm going to go with it

This isnt 1980 where if the players know, it isnt likely to get out even if they tell a few friends. In this day and age, if something is leaked to anyone, it is leaked to the entire world. Having one of the most successful and famous basketball programs in the country coming to the Barn for a game is not something you can keep quiet. Duke very well may be the team coming here, but it has not been announced to anyone yet. So quit acting like Patrick Reusse has any more of a clue about who the Gophers will play than the 90 year old Gopher fan down the street from me.

This isnt 1980 where if the players know, it isnt likely to get out even if they tell a few friends. In this day and age, if something is leaked to anyone, it is leaked to the entire world. Having one of the most successful and famous basketball programs in the country coming to the Barn for a game is not something you can keep quiet. Duke very well may be the team coming here, but it has not been announced to anyone yet. So quit acting like Patrick Reusse has any more of a clue about who the Gophers will play than the 90 year old Gopher fan down the street from me.

So basically, if this turns out to be correct, you are determined to say that Reusse just made a lucky guess?

So basically, if this turns out to be correct, you are determined to say that Reusse just made a lucky guess?

It wouldnt be a lucky guess. That guess has been made by many people with much more knowledge than Reusse. I am saying he has no inside information and we shouldnt trust his tweet as a guarantee we are playing Duke. How hard is that to understand?

It wouldnt be a lucky guess. That guess has been made by many people with much more knowledge than Reusse. I am saying he has no inside information and we shouldnt trust his tweet as a guarantee we are playing Duke. How hard is that to understand?

I don't think I ever once stated it was "guaranteed". I'm simply saying that from listening to him talk about it yesterday on the radio, it seems like it's more than just speculation for clicks. We can totally agree to disagree on how much the players are aware of before stuff becomes public. I guess we will know the result soon.

Don't think anyone at the U really knows. Maybe Pitino, but definitely not the players. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was more chatter amongst the team about the possibility of Duke being our opponent with the news last week that Swanigan is officially staying in the draft. The most logical choices to host Duke in the challenge were always Purdue and Minnesota with Northwestern being a dark horse. Swanigan going pro only helped our chances. With him gone it is a very real possibility that we host Duke. Last week Doogie tweeted that he talked with a member of the coaching staff about who he thought the opponent would be. Coach said Louisville or Notre Dame, and kind of dismissed the possibility of Duke. Believe that was before the pro decision from Swanigan came out. I don't think Reusse really knows much more than the rest of us, but he's putting two and two together and seeing that serious speculation is warranted

Reusse's source may be someone at the U who, like us, believes it *should* be Duke and *hopes* it is Duke, but doesn't know yet. We now we're not getting UNC, so anyone else would be a disappointment at this point.

Coach K more than owes us this game anyway, for Tyus Jones and Gary Trent (and probably doesn't mind coming here given that he has set himself up a nice little pipeline to Apple Valley). Hell, he should be playing games at Williams Arena for the next 10 years as payback.

Top Bottom