Gopher Softball 2018

Nothing to do with the game, but those dugouts are really expansive! Look like airport runways.

Banging it over the fence.

Big time.

Gophers played some serious long ball today.

Five homers, one each from Lindaman, Partain, Dwyer, Wagner and Parlich.

All those homers were more than enough for Brandt and Smith in the circle for a 7-0 final to sweep three straight from the Boilers.

The ladies are now 32-14 for the year and 15-3 in the Big 10 with five straight at Cowles to end the regular season.

Is Hansen going to be starter right away next year? Gophers need a good power bat behind Kendyl still

The ladies win their 13th straight, shut out North Dakota State 3-0 in game one of a double-header.

Fiser with a one-hitter while Houlihan had a two-run double. She also scored the Gophers' third run on a well-placed bloop single by Sydney Dwyer. The Gophers scored all their runs in the fifth. Carlie Brandt was also two great catches away from hitting her first homer as a Gopher, including one were the Bison center fielder brought one back. Really impressive grabs by that girl in center.

Game two coming up. Interesting to see if Trachsel lets Amber pitch game two or changes it up.

Ladies finish off the sweep, taking down NDSU 6-1 in game two. Houlihan with a three-run bomb in the sixth. Brandt and Smith combine in the circle with Carlie getting the win.

Now won 14 straight and are 34-14 with Penn State for three to close out the regular season.

To top it off, the Gophers have now won 30 in a row at Cowles! :clap:

Ladies finish off the sweep, taking down NDSU 6-1 in game two. Houlihan with a three-run bomb in the sixth. Brandt and Smith combine in the circle with Carlie getting the win.

Now won 14 straight and are 34-14 with Penn State for three to close out the regular season.

To top it off, the Gophers have now won 30 in a row at Cowles! :clap:

Great games tonight. The bats weren't hot but pitching was solid all around. Nice to get two solid NC wins. Time to sweep PSU and hope scUM chokes...

Great games tonight. The bats weren't hot but pitching was solid all around. Nice to get two solid NC wins. Time to sweep PSU and hope scUM chokes...

Speaking of which, if we end up tied with Michigan at, say 18-3, do they declare regular season co-champs?

Speaking of which, if we end up tied with Michigan at, say 18-3, do they declare regular season co-champs?

2014 both Michigan and Nebraska ended up at 18-5 and shared the Big Ten Championship.

Michigan# 18-5
Nebraska# 18-5
#Earned share of Big Ten Championship (There was no head to head between the two teams. Do not know if that matters.)

Side note: Michigan lost to Western Michigan yesterday. They threw Blanco and Schaefer. I'm sure it's Beaubien today against Michigan State.

Here's the RPI Rankings as of Monday:

#25 - Minnesota
#30 - OSU
#32 - Michigan
#35 - Northwestern
#36 - Nebraska
#51 - Wisconsin
#59 - Illinois
#86 - Iowa
#107 - Indiana
#108 - Michigan St
#150 - Maryland
#152 - Rutgers
#178 - Purdue
#234 - Penn St

Lowest teams from the other P5 conferences
#224 - Virginia (ACC) there are 3 ACC +100, Va Tech #127, Georgia Tech at #105, first year program Duke is at #92 (No Vegas Golden Knights-like preformance, but respectable).
#112 - Stanford (Pac-12)
#98 - Kansas (Big 12)
#37 - Ole Miss (SEC)

Michigan scored 3 in the top of the 4th against Michigan State at East Lansing to break a scoreless game.
Wolverines end up beating the Spartans 8-0 in 5 innings.

Michigan scored 3 in the top of the 4th against Michigan State at East Lansing to break a scoreless game.
Wolverines end up beating the Spartans 8-0 in 5 innings.
So we need tOSU to help us out...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Rutgers snapped their 14 game BIG losing streak with a sweep of Indiana today, 3-0 and 5-4. Rough way to go out for the Hoosiers after their surprising run. They play the season finale tomorrow.

Rutgers snapped their 14 game BIG losing streak with a sweep of Indiana today, 3-0 and 5-4. Rough way to go out for the Hoosiers after their surprising run. They play the season finale tomorrow.

That is surprising. Rutgers beat Trainer in that first one and she has been pitching well in conference. Guess you never know.

Ohio State is up on Michigan 2-1 in the 5th inning.

Michigan takes a 3-2 lead into the 6th.

Need a walkoff win now which at least will be good momentum to finish out the season, or not gametracker updated to third not scored

Really really disappointing performance from the ladies tonight.

Just lost at home to arguably the worst Power 5 team in the country (RPI in the 200s).

Big 10 title shot long gone and a 30-game home winning streak also gone in ugly fashion.

Poor on every level.

Well, a strong NW wind kept Houlihan's blast in the 7th from being a walk-off HR, and the Penn State pitcher's movement seemed to mystify the Gopher hitters who aren't named Partain...nothing but grounders and pulled fouls. Might as well save Fiser tomorrow and see the results of the MI game.

Was busy and just assumed they would win, so wasn't paying attention. Didn't know the outcome until looking on here moments ago. Dang.....

Was busy and just assumed they would win, so wasn't paying attention. Didn't know the outcome until looking on here moments ago. Dang.....

Probably the most disappointing performance I've seen from the team since the Big 10 Tournament loss to Iowa back in 2015. Definitely the worst home loss in several years. Guess that's what happens when you get spoiled with good softball for a number of seasons.

Probably the most disappointing performance I've seen from the team since the Big 10 Tournament loss to Iowa back in 2015. Definitely the worst home loss in several years. Guess that's what happens when you get spoiled with good softball for a number of seasons.
If Maddie hits the homerun instead of a warning track shot we win and we are all happy. Same exact game other than one pitch.

If Maddie hits the homerun instead of a warning track shot we win and we are all happy. Same exact game other than one pitch.

I actually thought Dwyer's ball in the first had a good chance too.

A pretty brutal choke job all around. 10 runners left on base. Seemed like the first MSU game; they didn't seem to show up to play.

A pretty brutal choke job all around. 10 runners left on base. Seemed like the first MSU game; they didn't seem to show up to play.

I disagree. Defense was solid, Fiser pitched a good game, and the ladies hit the ball. They just couldn't string them together to score runs. The PSU pitcher had her good stuff. If you watched from the side, her drop ball was just diving right at the plate. It was coming in at the thighs and dropping to the shins. Congrats to a scrappy PSU team for playing good defense and finding a way to get a crucial win for them.

Now our ladies just need to win the next two to take the series and go to Madison next week as the #2 seed. Might be the best thing for them to eat a little humble pie after 14 in a row. We will see how they react today.

I disagree. Defense was solid, Fiser pitched a good game, and the ladies hit the ball. They just couldn't string them together to score runs. The PSU pitcher had her good stuff. If you watched from the side, her drop ball was just diving right at the plate. It was coming in at the thighs and dropping to the shins. Congrats to a scrappy PSU team for playing good defense and finding a way to get a crucial win for them.

Now our ladies just need to win the next two to take the series and go to Madison next week as the #2 seed. Might be the best thing for them to eat a little humble pie after 14 in a row. We will see how they react today.

Must have been one of the only times all season she had her good stuff considering her numbers. Surrendered 200 hits in just 162 innings pitched, an ERA just under 4.5 and a batting average against at near .300 AFTER baffling the Gophers yesterday.

And I would disagree that it was a crucial win for Penn State. They've won a grand total of 9 times while losing 39 games this season. But I suppose when you barely win under any circumstances, any win is crucial. Maybe if they're trying to squeak their way into the Big 10 tourney and extend their season for one more game? Possibly under that scenario. But the Gophers had far more to play for and showed no urgency or focus until it was clear they were in real danger of losing.

But I agree on the humble pie. Pretty clear they needed some.

Must have been one of the only times all season she had her good stuff considering her numbers. Surrendered 200 hits in just 162 innings pitched, an ERA just under 4.5 and a batting average against at near .300 AFTER baffling the Gophers yesterday.

And I would disagree that it was a crucial win for Penn State. They've won a grand total of 9 times while losing 39 games this season. But I suppose when you barely win under any circumstances, any win is crucial. Maybe if they're trying to squeak their way into the Big 10 tourney and extend their season for one more game? Possibly under that scenario. But the Gophers had far more to play for and showed no urgency or focus until it was clear they were in real danger of losing.

But I agree on the humble pie. Pretty clear they needed some.
PSU is playing to make the B1G tourney. We can act like that is nothing but it is EVERYTHING to them. One of their players played travel ball with my daughters and last night's game was like a playoff game for them.

PSU is playing to make the B1G tourney. We can act like that is nothing but it is EVERYTHING to them. One of their players played travel ball with my daughters and last night's game was like a playoff game for them.

I understand that. But it's still troubling that they were more focused, better prepared and more motivated to play for a chance at the 12th seed in the conference tournament than our ladies were to play for a possible Big 10 title on their home field. Hoping they can come out more focused today, but it was hugely disappointing from the ladies no matter how you slice it. Defense was good, Pitching was good. But the offense was brutal.

Top Bottom