Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Default Can Sydney Smith Play Right Away...

... or does she have to sit out a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Livingat45north View Post
    ... or does she have to sit out a year?
    Only like 5 sports that require sitting and softball isn't one, so only way would be maybe if LSU coach decides to be a dick and block transfer or withhold transcripts or something

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Can play right away.

Official release of Sydney's transfer to Minnesota: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...071217aab.html

Well, now that all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed on the transfer, it appears there will be plenty of versatility in the circle.

From what I gather, Smith isn't overpowering but moves the ball around well. We already have a bonafide flame-thrower in Fiser and a very capable option in Brandt (can start or relieve when necessary). If one of the freshmen (Bailey or Lowary) can lock-down some innings, it looks like the potential is there for a pretty good staff even with Sara G moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Well, now that all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed on the transfer, it appears there will be plenty of versatility in the circle.

From what I gather, Smith isn't overpowering but moves the ball around well. We already have a bonafide flame-thrower in Fiser and a very capable option in Brandt (can start or relieve when necessary). If one of the freshmen (Bailey or Lowary) can lock-down some innings, it looks like the potential is there for a pretty good staff even with Sara G moving on.
    I like the addition. I want September to get here so I can watch some fall games and see all the newcomers in action.

Quote Originally Posted by rugger14 View Post
    People have their opinions. I was out at the ASA/USA 18 Gold state tournament over the weekend and heard a lot of "opinions" about a lot of players and their abilities and their attitudes. There were a lot of committed players playing including two of the incoming Gophers (Miller and Thompson) and Kemmetmueller played as well.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Miller. She played a lot at 3B but is also a catcher. Thompson is an outfielder. No question about that. Kemmetmueller played left side infield and pitched.

2018 commit Hanson from Buffalo looked very good and is a big hitter. She is a very good ballplayer.

There was some chatter about Syd Smith in the peanut gallery from parents and coaches who had kids who played with her and against her and it was all positive from what I heard. Folks think Smith is a definite positive move for the Gophers.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Had been meaning to respond to this, so I guess now is as good a time as any!

Tough to see Miller at catcher unless it's in a back up role and Allister decides to dh with Kendyl at various times. As for third base, I would think Parlich will start there again. We return the entire starting infield and they were pretty good defensively for the most part. Nel and Arneson are especially solid on the left-side.

Checked out some info on Hanson. If her high school numbers are any indication, she's going to be a stud. She hits for average and has plenty of pop (9 hrs, 40 rbis and a batting average near .690!). She was also a third-team All-American according to USA Today. Can't wait to get her into the fold in a couple of years.

When talking to some of the parents of the upperclassmen last year they kept talking about recruiting getting better as the team has been better. Not sure how this incoming class will stack up but the contributions of last year's class will be hard to match. If this class can have 2 immediate contributers and 5 girls who are still on the team as seniors it will be a very good class IMO.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Per Dave Schwartz' Twitter feed...A source tells me that @GopherSoftball coach Jessica Allister is leaving to take head coaching job at Stanford. Announcement coming soon.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Schwartz/st...55494087524357

Yep, official now Gophers release. Hope it doesn't kill the momentum of the program

Coyle probably doesn't have too many connections, but he should start by talking to the top AAAA coaches in state

Just promote Jessica Merchant.

She was promoted to Associate Head coach a couple of years ago, and has been here with Allister the whole time.

Of course, if the Gophers continue success under Merchant, when Hutchins at Michigan retires...
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    Just promote Jessica Merchant.

She was promoted to Associate Head coach a couple of years ago, and has been here with Allister the whole time.

Of course, if the Gophers continue success under Merchant, when Hutchins at Michigan retires...
    Big Merchant fan. Different personality than Allister.

Also highly recommend that Coyle goes with Merchant. Would mitigate the transition the program would need to undergo and would continue with the current culture in tact which Gopher softball has built its success on the past 7 seasons. Merchant is ready and she's absolutely the right fit in this situation.

I have to imagine Merchant will be the next head coach. Or at least get offered the job. Would be a hard one to turn down with how good that roster will be next year.