Gopher Softball 2018

Fiser in the circle again and Arneson in the DP role as the Gophers lead Bradley 4-0 in the 4th. Lindaman and Dwyer with home runs.
Gophers win by that score as Bailey throws the 7th.

Minnesota takes on Lehigh. Only the 3rd game of this season for the Mountain Hawks. Record is 1-1.
36-20 last year and an NCAA tourney team.

Fiser again with Arneson in the field in this one.
Dwyer with a 1st inning HR with Lindaman on board to go up 2-0.

Brandt pitching.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Lowary in the circle... 5-1 Gophers bottom of 7.

Gophers win 5-1. Lowary had a K on a nasty change-up.

If anybody has access to FloSoftball live video at Mary Nutter, you should watch the Oregon vs. team Japan game (Sat. evening). The announcer is SO bad that it's hilarious. Very entertaining. BTW, Team Japan was losing 5-1 then you could see their professionalism take over in the 5th inning. They totally figured out Oregon pitching and put up 6 runs playing small ball.

If anybody has access to FloSoftball live video at Mary Nutter, you should watch the Oregon vs. team Japan game (Sat. evening). The announcer is SO bad that it's hilarious. Very entertaining. BTW, Team Japan was losing 5-1 then you could see their professionalism take over in the 5th inning. They totally figured out Oregon pitching and put up 6 runs playing small ball.

Watching FloSoftball is an adventure, ok. It's hard to say who's more hilarious and confused, the camera people, the announcers, or the umpires. I watched MN beat Kentucky. The camera work was so bad I could hardly tell what was happening on the field at times. Plus the announcers of all four Gopher games seemed unable to track the runners' progress around the bases or to pronounce the players' names. For example, MN's Dwyer was called 'Dier' all game long. At one point the announcer wondered if 'Dier' would live up to her name, which made me wonder. It seemed the coaches had to keep coming on the field reminding the umpires of the rules of the game or what the ball/strike count was. Still, I kinda liked FloSoftball. They don't try to hide that they're not perfect and they have provided me with the chance to actually SEE the games, not stare at GameTrakker. Great to see the Gophers win. Keep it up!

Watching FloSoftball is an adventure, ok. It's hard to say who's more hilarious and confused, the camera people, the announcers, or the umpires. I watched MN beat Kentucky. The camera work was so bad I could hardly tell what was happening on the field at times. Plus the announcers of all four Gopher games seemed unable to track the runners' progress around the bases or to pronounce the players' names. For example, MN's Dwyer was called 'Dier' all game long. At one point the announcer wondered if 'Dier' would live up to her name, which made me wonder. It seemed the coaches had to keep coming on the field reminding the umpires of the rules of the game or what the ball/strike count was. Still, I kinda liked FloSoftball. They don't try to hide that they're not perfect and they have provided me with the chance to actually SEE the games, not stare at GameTrakker. Great to see the Gophers win. Keep it up!

FloSoftball and other live video feeds with amateur announcing are definitely growing on me. It's kind of like watching the actual game in real time at the field through the chainlink fence, partially obstructed by the dugout etc., and distracted by people discussing the game around me. The announcing is unpredictable and always different. I don't get upset about bad calls because there's no slow-motion replay to get all worked up about. I probably had FloSoftball on about 8 hours today in the background as the snow fell and I mulled around the house. It was a good day (plus the Gophies played well).

Has anyone checked the streaming options for next week at SDSU?

Finally looks like a big breakout, 4 and counting in extra inning

Finally looks like a big breakout, 4 and counting in extra inning
Brandt laid down a beautiful bunt for a hit followed by another by Jensen to load them. Partain drove in 3 right down the RF line.

With the Gophies going to international rules with Duke, a geeky stat question comes to mind. Does the runner placed on 2nd base count against a pitcher's ERA?

Just had the chance to check out the score. 8 innings! Dang.

I guess the run counts against the team ERA, but not the pitcher's ERA.

A couple of those lefties in the batting order need to get going.

With the Gophies going to international rules with Duke, a geeky stat question comes to mind. Does the runner placed on 2nd base count against a pitcher's ERA?

The box score didn't count Kemmetmueller's run against the Duke pitcher's ERA. It said she gave up 5 runs, only 3 earned.

I fervently hope the Gophers hitters seriously don't expect Fiser to pitch and win every game this season 2-1 or to pitch a two or three-hitter every time out. True, teams are going to throw their best pitching against MN, but how about exploding with some big-time hitting? Love it when they win, though, especially against programs with pretensions!!!

I fervently hope the Gophers hitters seriously don't expect Fiser to pitch and win every game this season 2-1 or to pitch a two or three-hitter every time out. True, teams are going to throw their best pitching against MN, but how about exploding with some big-time hitting? Love it when they win, though, especially against programs with pretensions!!!

Yeah. It seemed like Kendyl L. and Maddie H. (maybe others?), who are both usually patient hitters with good eye for the stike zone, were frustrated today by the inconsistent strike zone that seemed to change mid at-bat. The hitters were more aggressive in the 8th and it paid off.

Yeah. It seemed like Kendyl L. and Maddie H. (maybe others?), who are both usually patient hitters with good eye for the stike zone, were frustrated today by the inconsistent strike zone that seemed to change mid at-bat. The hitters were more aggressive in the 8th and it paid off.
That strike zone was awful...

That strike zone was awful...

The umpires seemed pretty much out of it all weekend; they had trouble remembering the ball/strike count; didn't seem to know all the rules; today's home plate ump was giving strikes on pitches well inside on the right hand hitters the whole game.

The umpires seemed pretty much out of it all weekend; they had trouble remembering the ball/strike count; didn't seem to know all the rules; today's home plate ump was giving strikes on pitches well inside on the right hand hitters the whole game.
She set up on the inside corner whether it was a RH hitter or a lefty. She called all the inside pitches strikes and the outside pitches balls. So the calls basically flip-flopped depending on the batter.

She set up on the inside corner whether it was a RH hitter or a lefty. She called all the inside pitches strikes and the outside pitches balls. So the calls basically flip-flopped depending on the batter.

Very interesting, Rugger14. I noticed it most against the Gophers' right-handed hitters. However, I think on Fiser's last strikeout in the 8th (the second out) the Duke hitter swung at a pitch well low and inside on strike 3, probably because she knew it'd be called a strike anyway. Maybe that's why Fiser threw it there?

Ohio State 11-1
Minnesota 10-4
Nebraska 10-5
Michigan 8-6
Michigan State 8-6
Northwestern 7-6
Wisconsin 7-7
Iowa 4-5
Rutgers 5-8
Illinois 3-6
Maryland 3-11
Indiana 2-11
Purdue 2-11
Penn State 1-11

I follow Gophers softball as well as I can, but it's by necessity from a distance because so little seems to seep out to fans. For example, injuries: men's sports describe every ankle, knee, arm, or whatever injury to the guys in great detail, but we (or at least I) never hear a word about the women athletes' injuries. What specific injuries are keeping various Gopher softballers out of action now? Or is it something other than injuries?

Some of you folks know a lot more inside news than I. It seemed to me the team was kinda flat even when they went 5-0 in Vegas. And in Tallahassee they played poorly. I had envisioned them being, say, 8-1 by now. It seems like the same players but not the same team as last year. Was Sara G. that much of an anchor? Any inside info, please?

This has to do with athlete privacy. People aren't going to advertise their injuries, they are going to go to rehab 3 hours a day to get back on the field as fast as possible. All you can do is cheer on the team (injured or not) and know that all these players are doing what they can to help the team. This season has been a rollercoaster of injuries but it'll all work out towards the end, that what we have to hope for.

This has to do with athlete privacy. People aren't going to advertise their injuries, they are going to go to rehab 3 hours a day to get back on the field as fast as possible. All you can do is cheer on the team (injured or not) and know that all these players are doing what they can to help the team. This season has been a rollercoaster of injuries but it'll all work out towards the end, that what we have to hope for.
Welcome to the board D1.

Very tough upcoming schedule. I see Colorado State is 7-1 with wins over Wisconsin and Texas, and their only loss is 3-0 against Arizona. Games against UCLA (15-0 and killing everybody), Arizona (13-1), and three against AZ State (13-2). And then throw in a game against Long Beach State. Only 6-5, but they have wins against Auburn (!), BYU, and 9-0 over Northwestern. Bottom line - TREMENDOUS opportunity for the Gophers to bolster their RPI and get back in the mix!!

I see your point but I think it is more how we score runs when Fiser is pitching versus how many runs we score. When she is pitching we average 5.5 runs per game while giving up 2.22 per game. The issue really is we seem to score runs in only 1 or 2 innings and then need to hang on to win. It seems like we relax too much with a lead - I would like to see them get out to a lead and keep the pressure going by continuing to score. That way we could bring in some relief pitchers and give Amber a well deserved rest....she was a work horse this weekend but we can't expect her to pitch in 4 out of 5 games a weekend. It was nice to see Lowary get some work in this weekend as well - she could be a huge part to our future success this season.

Top Bottom