Gopher Softball 2018

Can Sydney Smith Play Right Away...

... or does she have to sit out a year?

... or does she have to sit out a year?
Only like 5 sports that require sitting and softball isn't one, so only way would be maybe if LSU coach decides to be a dick and block transfer or withhold transcripts or something

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Well, now that all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed on the transfer, it appears there will be plenty of versatility in the circle.

From what I gather, Smith isn't overpowering but moves the ball around well. We already have a bonafide flame-thrower in Fiser and a very capable option in Brandt (can start or relieve when necessary). If one of the freshmen (Bailey or Lowary) can lock-down some innings, it looks like the potential is there for a pretty good staff even with Sara G moving on.

Well, now that all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed on the transfer, it appears there will be plenty of versatility in the circle.

From what I gather, Smith isn't overpowering but moves the ball around well. We already have a bonafide flame-thrower in Fiser and a very capable option in Brandt (can start or relieve when necessary). If one of the freshmen (Bailey or Lowary) can lock-down some innings, it looks like the potential is there for a pretty good staff even with Sara G moving on.

I like the addition. I want September to get here so I can watch some fall games and see all the newcomers in action.

People have their opinions. I was out at the ASA/USA 18 Gold state tournament over the weekend and heard a lot of "opinions" about a lot of players and their abilities and their attitudes. There were a lot of committed players playing including two of the incoming Gophers (Miller and Thompson) and Kemmetmueller played as well.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Miller. She played a lot at 3B but is also a catcher. Thompson is an outfielder. No question about that. Kemmetmueller played left side infield and pitched.

2018 commit Hanson from Buffalo looked very good and is a big hitter. She is a very good ballplayer.

There was some chatter about Syd Smith in the peanut gallery from parents and coaches who had kids who played with her and against her and it was all positive from what I heard. Folks think Smith is a definite positive move for the Gophers.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Had been meaning to respond to this, so I guess now is as good a time as any! :)

Tough to see Miller at catcher unless it's in a back up role and Allister decides to dh with Kendyl at various times. As for third base, I would think Parlich will start there again. We return the entire starting infield and they were pretty good defensively for the most part. Nel and Arneson are especially solid on the left-side.

Checked out some info on Hanson. If her high school numbers are any indication, she's going to be a stud. She hits for average and has plenty of pop (9 hrs, 40 rbis and a batting average near .690!). She was also a third-team All-American according to USA Today. Can't wait to get her into the fold in a couple of years.

When talking to some of the parents of the upperclassmen last year they kept talking about recruiting getting better as the team has been better. Not sure how this incoming class will stack up but the contributions of last year's class will be hard to match. If this class can have 2 immediate contributers and 5 girls who are still on the team as seniors it will be a very good class IMO.

Yep, official now Gophers release. Hope it doesn't kill the momentum of the program

Coyle probably doesn't have too many connections, but he should start by talking to the top AAAA coaches in state

Just promote Jessica Merchant.

She was promoted to Associate Head coach a couple of years ago, and has been here with Allister the whole time.

Of course, if the Gophers continue success under Merchant, when Hutchins at Michigan retires...

Just promote Jessica Merchant.

She was promoted to Associate Head coach a couple of years ago, and has been here with Allister the whole time.

Of course, if the Gophers continue success under Merchant, when Hutchins at Michigan retires...

Big Merchant fan. Different personality than Allister.

Also highly recommend that Coyle goes with Merchant. Would mitigate the transition the program would need to undergo and would continue with the current culture in tact which Gopher softball has built its success on the past 7 seasons. Merchant is ready and she's absolutely the right fit in this situation.

I have to imagine Merchant will be the next head coach. Or at least get offered the job. Would be a hard one to turn down with how good that roster will be next year.

Disastrous on many fronts. I would hope Merchant would be named interim until a new coach can be found.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

With Tree sucking at softball the last few years, this was almost inevitable. It still sucks.

The program and facilities are much better than when Jessica took the job. It should be much easier to find an excellent coach to take over the program. Last time, 4 candidates turned down the 'opportunity'. That being said, I think that Jessica Merchant has been the prime recruiter for the program and I hope she is offered the job.

The program and facilities are much better than when Jessica took the job. It should be much easier to find an excellent coach to take over the program. Last time, 4 candidates turned down the 'opportunity'. That being said, I think that Jessica Merchant has been the prime recruiter for the program and I hope she is offered the job.

Agree with everything you said. The team is going to very good again next year and the program's profile has never been higher. Would have to think it will be a very attractive job for prospective coaches. With that said, I hope they stay in house and give it to Merchant.

Think we could get Shonda Stanton, she hasn't really settled in at Indiana yet...

Glad to see they are opening up a national search. I don't know enough about the coaching situation. Merchant may be and probably will be the next head coach, but it never hurts to check out all of your options. Hope Jessica stays out of the mid west on her recruiting trip, there is more than enough talent for her to recruit on the West coast.

With Tree sucking at softball the last few years, this was almost inevitable. It still sucks.

Yeah, think you're right. Great situation for Allister at Stanford. At her school, Pac 12, easier to recruit, etc. She was a very good hire by Maturi.

Just my two cents, hope Coyle hires a woman to do it. Merchant, I would guess.

Yeah, think you're right. Great situation for Allister at Stanford. At her school, Pac 12, easier to recruit, etc. She was a very good hire by Maturi.

Give a try on Jennie Finch. She loves MN and does camps here all the time

That'd be solid. Even if Merchant stays in charge of recruiting, it'd do much more for program to land a big name and show they're looking to compete and stay on top

That'd be solid. Even if Merchant stays in charge of recruiting, it'd do much more for program to land a big name and show they're looking to compete and stay on top

You two, without a doubt, are way more on top of the softball scene than I am. Finch was tremendous in the circle. That being said (and mind you, just my humble opinion or point of view), never cared for former pitchers running a team. Sure like them, obviously as pitching coaches. Just not in charge. Pitchers are always a little too .......out there for me. Also, I'm just posting and really don't know much about the program like some of the posters. Really hope who ever gets the job can continue what Allister got going.

You two, without a doubt, are way more on top of the softball scene than I am. Finch was tremendous in the circle. That being said (and mind you, just my humble opinion or point of view), never cared for former pitchers running a team. Sure like them, obviously as pitching coaches. Just not in charge. Pitchers are always a little too .......out there for me. Also, I'm just posting and really don't know much about the program like some of the posters. Really hope who ever gets the job can continue what Allister got going.
I would agree on that. If you're looking at former players and knowledge of the game, catcher and shortstop would be best. Getting someone familiar with top club ball such as in California would be good too, Allister's offensive decisions weren't always best. I'm guessing we'll retain assistants since it's not a 13 man staff like football, keeping Piper definitely is important given that there's still pitching decisions on top starter as well as rotation vs ride star vs bullpen focused like Oklahoma

Jessica Merchant has been the coach you see recruiting at the big club tournaments and high school games. Never saw Allister at one personally. Merchant has been here 8 years, has an incredible resume, and is a northern girl. I would love to see her as head coach if she wants it. There are other great young coaches out there like former Gopher player Colleen Powers who took St. Kates from the MIAC cellar to the D3 world series in three years and with previous D1 experience both playing and coaching. I'm confident there are many other great coaching options that would love to coach at Minnesota. At the end of the day, Allister and her staff elevated Minnesota to be a top program and great potential coaching job. Plus, the talent in the Upper Midwest is simply getting better. I would love to see the next Carol Hutchins type coach be here at Minnesota...a legend in the making. I'll stay optimistic.

When can I renew my season tickets? This program will still be very good for years to come.

The coach's gender should not be a factor. The best coach should get the job no matter their gender. (even though this won't happen because Hutch won't allow it)

When can I renew my season tickets? This program will still be very good for years to come.
I asked last week. They said it will not be until spring.

Top Bottom