Gopher Softball 2018

I heard that Hannah Bailey is on campus already - my guess is they are still updating the roster on the website. I would imagine she will be on there soon and the background info on all the freshmen will also be added.

I heard that Hannah Bailey is on campus already - my guess is they are still updating the roster on the website. I would imagine she will be on there soon and the background info on all the freshmen will also be added.

In continuing with this conversation, I would be surprised if Bailey isn't on the team when all is said and done.

I haven't seen anything indicating that she wasn't coming. Houlihan and Brandt were at the State Fair yesterday and Lindaman and Dwyer are expected to be there tomorrow, so I'm guessing most of the ladies are already back on campus. On top of that, Trachsel noted in her interview with In The Circle that they hadn't lost anybody (excluding Judge, who was already leaving before Allister went to Stanford).

Guess we'll see.

In continuing with this conversation, I would be surprised if Bailey isn't on the team when all is said and done.

I haven't seen anything indicating that she wasn't coming. Houlihan and Brandt were at the State Fair yesterday and Lindaman and Dwyer are expected to be there tomorrow, so I'm guessing most of the ladies are already back on campus. On top of that, Trachsel noted in her interview with In The Circle that they hadn't lost anybody (excluding Judge, who was already leaving before Allister went to Stanford).

Guess we'll see.
All the frosh softball players are on campus. Just saw a whole group of them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Guess we'll see.

Sorry to bug you on this, would you happen to have a link for the interview?

Sorry to bug you on this, would you happen to have a link for the interview?
I think she was on fastpitch news and the other one was linked from the Gopher swim team I think. I cant find them right now.

I followed Gopher softball game by game all of 2017 and wondered why Kendal Judge was used so seldom. What was she lacking that kept from appearing for more than 5 or so innings?
Good question. It could have been any number of things. The fact that she transferred makes me think that MN was not a good fit for her. I guess we will see how things go for her at Okie State.

Good question. It could have been any number of things. The fact that she transferred makes me think that MN was not a good fit for her. I guess we will see how things go for her at Okie State.

Personally, I think she got caught in a numbers game. Groenewegen was always going to the No. 1 and after that, you had four pitchers fighting it out for the second spot. When Fiser asserted herself, she took over the second spot and never gave it up. Plus, you had a very good veteran pitcher in Finucane and a reliable reliever in Brandt when the situation arose waiting in the wings. Just too many arms and not enough innings to spread around.

As for this year, Fiser was always going to be either No. 1 or No. 2 and then Sydney Smith transferred in. That's another veteran arm to add in. She may have had the advantage on Bailey and Lowary coming in with a year of collegiate experience under her belt, but Brandt is also still in the mix and was very good in relief last year. So,again, not enough innings for everybody.

It sucks to be sure, but just too many arms.

With all that said, I hope she sees plenty of time at Oklahoma State.

Personally, I think she got caught in a numbers game. Groenewegen was always going to the No. 1 and after that, you had four pitchers fighting it out for the second spot. When Fiser asserted herself, she took over the second spot and never gave it up. Plus, you had a very good veteran pitcher in Finucane and a reliable reliever in Brandt when the situation arose waiting in the wings. Just too many arms and not enough innings to spread around.

As for this year, Fiser was always going to be either No. 1 or No. 2 and then Sydney Smith transferred in. That's another veteran arm to add in. She may have had the advantage on Bailey and Lowary coming in with a year of collegiate experience under her belt, but Brandt is also still in the mix and was very good in relief last year. So,again, not enough innings for everybody.

It sucks to be sure, but just too many arms.

With all that said, I hope she sees plenty of time at Oklahoma State.

I heard a TV interview with Fiser on Iowa broadcasting, in which she said that she became #2 because she showed the best command of her pitches, after Sarah G. I wondered if Judge had the pitches but not the command of them, as was kinda the case with Finucane. Being originally from Illinois, I rooted for Judge. I, too, hope she does well.

Well we are now just over a week from getting an opportunity to see the team on the field! Good stuff! What are folks looking forward to seeing?

The biggest question has to be pitching - who is going to take over the #1 spot? From what I have heard Brandt has really developed and her velocity continues to rise. Smith would be the obvious choice and Fiser has to be in the conversation. Lowary hasn't pitched in over a year due to injuries and may not see time in the circle for some time. Bailey is an unknown at this time - movement is there but getting out college hitters and dealing with the college strike zone can be a challenge for young pitchers.

The biggest question has to be pitching - who is going to take over the #1 spot? From what I have heard Brandt has really developed and her velocity continues to rise. Smith would be the obvious choice and Fiser has to be in the conversation. Lowary hasn't pitched in over a year due to injuries and may not see time in the circle for some time. Bailey is an unknown at this time - movement is there but getting out college hitters and dealing with the college strike zone can be a challenge for young pitchers.

Figuring it'll be Smith and Fiser as 1 and 1a to start. If Brandt has come on during the off-season, that'll be another reliable starting arm to add to the mix. To be honest, I was pretty happy with her last year, but if her velocity has increased, so much the better.

Other than that, I pretty much figure the ladies will be ready to roll, especially offensively.

If they make Brandt a full-time pitcher, does that mean it is most-likely Chell or Krueger in the outfield? It will be interesting to see what they do. It seems like the infield will be set with returning players.

Rozell has been working in the outfield too. But right now I think the spot is up for grabs with freshman Alex Velazquez leading the way.

I follow softball, but not all that closely, so here's a question from someone that doesn't know too much...

... it seems like in softball the number one pitcher is by far the most important player, to the point that if you have one great pitcher that's enough to make you a dominant team. Unlike baseball, in softball the pitcher can throw a lot of innings over a weekend series. If I've got this right, is there any move in software to somehow make it more of an overall team game, such as limit the number of innings a pitcher can throw over a weekend - meaning the number 2 and number 3 pitchers would also see a lot of action?

I follow softball, but not all that closely, so here's a question from someone that doesn't know too much...

... it seems like in softball the number one pitcher is by far the most important player, to the point that if you have one great pitcher that's enough to make you a dominant team. Unlike baseball, in softball the pitcher can throw a lot of innings over a weekend series. If I've got this right, is there any move in software to somehow make it more of an overall team game, such as limit the number of innings a pitcher can throw over a weekend - meaning the number 2 and number 3 pitchers would also see a lot of action?

To answer your question, no. At least not that I'm aware of.

In the past, the formula for success used to be get one dominant pitcher and ride her arm as far as you could go. In recent years, that's somewhat changed to needing at least two high quality pitchers. Other programs spread it out amongst as many as three or four.

Some of it depends on how good your offense and fielding is. The Gophers have an elite lineup and are pretty good in the field as well. Therefore, they have more wiggle room in terms of pitching than many other teams. With that said, pitching is the common denominator amongst the sport's best programs and teams. And nowadays, that means having at least two dependable arms.

Rozell has been working in the outfield too. But right now I think the spot is up for grabs with freshman Alex Velazquez leading the way.

That's what I would figure, especially if Velazquez shows some pop at the plate. I also wouldn't be surprised if they try multiple options out there and utilize a bit of a platoon-system, especially early in the year. Other than in the circle and the left-field position, the team is pretty much stacked at every other spot.

That's what I would figure, especially if Velazquez shows some pop at the plate. I also wouldn't be surprised if they try multiple options out there and utilize a bit of a platoon-system, especially early in the year. Other than in the circle and the left-field position, the team is pretty much stacked at every other spot.

Also, I doubt if any of the pitchers will hit. That will leave another spot open for the designated player.

I think whoever can hit will be the third outfielder.

I think Maddie might move back to 1st base, with Sydney moving to her natural position, DP.

That would mean 2 new corner outfielders.

Since tomorrow night is the start of Yom Kippur (I can't be at the DH), I fully expect a detailed report of the festivities.

Since tomorrow night is the start of Yom Kippur (I can't be at the DH), I fully expect a detailed report of the festivities.

I am sure that several of us will be willing to chime in with our opinions...

Well this is what I saw.

- Fiser looks like the #1
- Smith was solid
- Brandt and Bailey pitched as well
- Ellee Jenson will probably play in the OF
- AJ Thompson ran a lot on the bases
- They had several girls playing OF
- Brandt and Kemmetmueller played SS
- Arneson did not play
- Gill hit and ran for sure. Not sure if she played in the field.
- I think Lowary is still nursing her shoulder.
- I think everybody else played
- They tried a few different girls at 2B

Top Bottom