Gopher Softball 2018

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Here is a new thread to put all of your lineup speculation, news about transfers, how the players from Iowa are doing in their senior seasons, how the other players are doing in their club seasons, etc.

Alex Velazquez-Chanhassen. With region Semi-finals coming up this week against Minnetonka Alex has put up these #'s for the season. .534 batting average, 80 at bats with 20 walks. Slugging % of 948. She has not committed a error this season. Chanhassen looks unstoppable and should repeat, but you never know.

Alexandra Thompson-Howard Lake Waverly. Batting .639 for the season

July and August should be busy times. USSSA has their big Elite Select tourney in KC in the middle of July and then ASA/USA 18U A and 18 Gold (I think Florida and Oregon this year) are later in the summer along with PGF nationals on the west coast.

Most of the girls (not sure on Iowa girls) should play in one or more of those big tourneys.

The Minnesota ASA/USA Gold state championship games for 14U, 16U, and 18U are supposed to be played at Jane Sage Cowles this year. That will probably be a fun event to get out to if you like watching softball.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Love the direction of the program.

July and August should be busy times. USSSA has their big Elite Select tourney in KC in the middle of July and then ASA/USA 18U A and 18 Gold (I think Florida and Oregon this year) are later in the summer along with PGF nationals on the west coast.

Most of the girls (not sure on Iowa girls) should play in one or more of those big tourneys.

The Minnesota ASA/USA Gold state championship games for 14U, 16U, and 18U are supposed to be played at Jane Sage Cowles this year. That will probably be a fun event to get out to if you like watching softball.

Don't forget about the big 3 going on in Denver and the surrounding area around the 4th of july! You've got the IDT tourney, Fireworks and Sparkler tourneys all in the denver metro area. Those are some big recruiting tournaments along with the OnDeck jamboree that week. There will be ALOT going on out there!!

Alex Velazquez-Chanhassen. With region Semi-finals coming up this week against Minnetonka Alex has put up these #'s for the season. .534 batting average, 80 at bats with 20 walks. Slugging % of 948. She has not committed a error this season. Chanhassen looks unstoppable and should repeat, but you never know.

Did Minnesota offer her?

Transfer watch: Minnesota native Sydney Smith has announced she is transferring away from LSU. Would be a great pickup for the Gophers at Pitcher. Former Top 25 National Freshman of the Year finalist

Transfer watch: Minnesota native Sydney Smith has announced she is transferring away from LSU. Would be a great pickup for the Gophers at Pitcher. Former Top 25 National Freshman of the Year finalist

On the Ultimate Softball board, 2 days ago mwfastpitch posted that he or she heard rumors that a big name pitcher was transferring to Minnesota.

On the Ultimate Softball board, 2 days ago mwfastpitch posted that he or she heard rumors that a big name pitcher was transferring to Minnesota.

Hmm, very interesting. We'll have to wait and see obviously, but in reading the posts over on that board, there seems to be a general consensus that she'll end up being a Gopher.

Can we say Row the Boat in a softball thread?

I saw that as well. Somebody I follow on Twitter retweeted her tweet about transferring. I wonder how mwfastpitch got that intel!

Sounds that Sydney Smith is officially returning to MN. Meanwhile, Kendall Judge, freshman pitcher who saw limited action, is leaving the program.

Sounds that Sydney Smith is officially returning to MN. Meanwhile, Kendall Judge, freshman pitcher who saw limited action, is leaving the program.

Saw posts indicating this as well. Bummer for Kendal, but I really hope she lands somewhere where she can contribute.

If true, it will be nice to have another veteran arm to add to the mix.

Saw posts indicating this as well. Bummer for Kendal, but I really hope she lands somewhere where she can contribute.

If true, it will be nice to have another veteran arm to add to the mix.
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out by the time school starts.

Macken, Finucane, and Sara G are the only seniors leaving. It looks like a pitcher transfer in and a pitcher transfer out. Seven new freshmen added.

Seven starters returning everywhere but LF and Pitcher. Fiser pitched well, Brandt played some outfield last year, and I know others can play there as well. Anyone have any speculation? Any of the freshmen have a shot at playing significantly?

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out by the time school starts.

Macken, Finucane, and Sara G are the only seniors leaving. It looks like a pitcher transfer in and a pitcher transfer out. Seven new freshmen added.

Seven starters returning everywhere but LF and Pitcher. Fiser pitched well, Brandt played some outfield last year, and I know others can play there as well. Anyone have any speculation? Any of the freshmen have a shot at playing significantly?

Rumours I've heard indicate Hannah Bailey, the freshman pitcher from California, could contribute right away. Would have to think she will be behind Fiser and Smith (assuming her transfer is a final), at least at the start of the season.

Don't know much about position players, but it's going to be tough for any of them to crack the lineup I would think. Need somebody to fill in for Macken, but there are plenty of options. Maybe Alex Velasquez.

Also, Rachel Lowary is coming in as a pitcher. She's the younger sister of Oklahoma star pitcher Paige Lowary. Never seen her pitch, but here's hoping she can keep up the family legacy of star hurlers. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

For the freshmen, Velasquez probably starts in Macken's spot, only Gopher on the PGF All-American teams. AJ becomes the primary courtesy/sub runner, she's super fast. Rachel should be more of a control/movement pitcher than Paige is, but too many injury problems already could make it hard for her to find good playing time (multiple shoulder surgeries and ankle problems). Miller some defensive time, or flex to let Lindaman DP if a pitcher can hit. Bailey probably fits based on her style of speed/control/break against one of the others. Brandt is pitching a bit more this year for sure. Smith is eligible immediately but also seems to have quite an attitude, otherwise could actually have a 4 person rotation. Still would like to see Fiser as the #1 since she's got the speed. Ellee P/OF, Gill SS/OF but can't see much else on them.

For the freshmen, Velasquez probably starts in Macken's spot, only Gopher on the PGF All-American teams. AJ becomes the primary courtesy/sub runner, she's super fast. Rachel should be more of a control/movement pitcher than Paige is, but too many injury problems already could make it hard for her to find good playing time (multiple shoulder surgeries and ankle problems). Miller some defensive time, or flex to let Lindaman DP if a pitcher can hit. Bailey probably fits based on her style of speed/control/break against one of the others. Brandt is pitching a bit more this year for sure. Smith is eligible immediately but also seems to have quite an attitude, otherwise could actually have a 4 person rotation. Still would like to see Fiser as the #1 since she's got the speed. Ellee P/OF, Gill SS/OF but can't see much else on them.

Seeing 3 on this listing. http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/

Ahhh got it. You were referring to this. http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/pgf_final_all_american_selections

Any Iowa HS or summer tournament reports on our incoming freshmen?

My only comment on the PGF All-Americans is that I think your team has to play PGF tournaments to get on there. If your team plays another sanctioning body I don't think you have a great chance of getting on there. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Still skeptical given we don't need someone with an attitude and ego, but at least depth and a bit more experience than underclassmen pitchers

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Attitude and ego can change. I don't know anything about Smith so I will reserve judgement. I hope she fits in well with the team and is a great addition.

Still skeptical given we don't need someone with an attitude and ego, but at least depth and a bit more experience than underclassmen pitchers

I'm hardly "plugged-in" to the softball community, so I'm admittedly not familiar with what her issues might be. With that said, Allister and the coaching staff appear to have established an incredibly accepting culture. The ladies seem to genuinely love and respect one another. Here's hoping Smith can fit in without a hiccup.

I'm hardly "plugged-in" to the softball community, so I'm admittedly not familiar with what her issues might be. With that said, Allister and the coaching staff appear to have established an incredibly accepting culture. The ladies seem to genuinely love and respect one another. Here's hoping Smith can fit in without a hiccup.

I'm not at all.
Agree that Allister seems to run a good team. Wish Smith was more of a strikeout pitcher. (Just my preference when it comes to pitchers.)

This seems as if you have a chip on your shoulder or something, I have watched Syd since 12U and not sure where all the negativity is coming from...

This seems as if you have a chip on your shoulder or something, I have watched Syd since 12U and not sure where all the negativity is coming from...
People have their opinions. I was out at the ASA/USA 18 Gold state tournament over the weekend and heard a lot of "opinions" about a lot of players and their abilities and their attitudes. There were a lot of committed players playing including two of the incoming Gophers (Miller and Thompson) and Kemmetmueller played as well.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Miller. She played a lot at 3B but is also a catcher. Thompson is an outfielder. No question about that. Kemmetmueller played left side infield and pitched.

2018 commit Hanson from Buffalo looked very good and is a big hitter. She is a very good ballplayer.

There was some chatter about Syd Smith in the peanut gallery from parents and coaches who had kids who played with her and against her and it was all positive from what I heard. Folks think Smith is a definite positive move for the Gophers.

Top Bottom