Gopher Softball 2018

Looks like Jamie Trachsel is the new coach.

FWIW, my 15 year-old daughter is happy. She came home from a college coach camp a few weeks ago and commented unsolicited "I really liked the Iowa State coach and St. Thomas coach. I loved how they worked with the players". Hopefully signs of good things to come for current players and future recruits.

FWIW, my 15 year-old daughter is happy. She came home from a college coach camp a few weeks ago and commented unsolicited "I really liked the Iowa State coach and St. Thomas coach. I loved how they worked with the players". Hopefully signs of good things to come for current players and future recruits.

Trachsel's track record is pretty impressive. Plus, she's a Minnesota native, so if she's successful with the program, it would probably take an awful lot for her to leave. Looking forward to seeing how the program evolves under her leadership.

I know it's very early but what's the behind the scenes reaction of the players to this hire? Ritter staying seems like great news. So, 3 seniors are gone but is everyone else returning? Smith is coming and Judge is leaving? Is that correct? and are those the only roster changes besides incoming freshmen? Thanks...

Awesome! Glad to hear that Piper is being retained.

I know it's very early but what's the behind the scenes reaction of the players to this hire? Ritter staying seems like great news. So, 3 seniors are gone but is everyone else returning? Smith is coming and Judge is leaving? Is that correct? and are those the only roster changes besides incoming freshmen? Thanks...
From what I've seen, everybody seems intent on staying. Smith seems totally on board and the rest of the returnees also appear to all-in for next year. I think they all know the team is going to be very good agsin next year and really want to be a part of it. Feels like a "circle the wagons" kind of attitude. Also a huge bonus that Ritter is staying.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I am a novice concerning the different coaches. This sounds like a good hire, but am wondering if Merchant was offered and turned down the offer. If they didn't offer her, is it because they knew she would jump at the Michigan job as soon as it opens. If Metchant moves on, I hope they can bring in a top assistant with the recruiting ties in California or the South.

Anyone know what position she played at St. Cloud State?. Been searching all the stories for about half an hour, but not finding it.

Merchant was offered the position and turned it down to go to Stanford. Merchant would not get the Michigan job when Carol Hutchins retires anyway. That is already Bonnie Tholl's job - that is a well know fact. Bonnie has been the assistant for 24 years and has basically ran the recruiting and game planning for the past 10 years. Hutch is still around because she generates the booster donations and she is the biggest name in college softball.

GG, what are the chances that in a couple of years when Hutch finally retires, that Merchant gets offered Tholl's position as Associate Head Coach and coach-in-waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked Hutch about why Merchant wasn't already on her staff 2 years ago when I had a chance to talk to her. She would take Merchant any time she wants to come over. But in 2 years or less Merchant is clearly a head coach candidate. If Bonnie took her on (and she most likely would) it would depend on how long Merchant wants to wait for the top job. Bonnie is only 47 years old - she has a lot of coaching years left. And Hutch obviously keeps that job as long as she wants it....

Now we have to keep Allister and Merchant out of the mid-west during recruiting. They don't need these mid-west girls with all the talent out West they can pick from.

I asked Hutch about why Merchant wasn't already on her staff 2 years ago when I had a chance to talk to her. She would take Merchant any time she wants to come over. But in 2 years or less Merchant is clearly a head coach candidate. If Bonnie took her on (and she most likely would) it would depend on how long Merchant wants to wait for the top job. Bonnie is only 47 years old - she has a lot of coaching years left. And Hutch obviously keeps that job as long as she wants it....

Bonnie has hung around 24 years, who says Merchant wouldn't do the same - Hutch to Michigan shortstop (BT)... to Michigan shortstop (JM).

Piper Ritter is staying to coach pitchers. Assistant coach that will focus on hitting will be named in the next few days. I have no idea who it is.

Piper Ritter is staying to coach pitchers. Assistant coach that will focus on hitting will be named in the next few days. I have no idea who it is.
Most likely her asst at ISU. I would put money on it.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Most likely her asst at ISU. I would put money on it.

On the Ultimate Softball Forum, it was posted that Randy posted on Facebook that he was leaving coaching to spend more time with his family. He is entering the public speaking circuit.

Well gophers need to get their poop in a group. 14's and 16 PGF Nationals are next week and that's a huge recruiting opportunity for the new staff to see players.

On the Ultimate Softball Forum, it was posted that Randy posted on Facebook that he was leaving coaching to spend more time with his family. He is entering the public speaking circuit.
Thanks for that! It was a lot of comedy on that thread to make it to the last few comments about Schneider. The Maryland pitching coach alleged posts, friend posts, etc... were priceless!

Thought it would be done by now. Trying to get a coach to make a lateral move is not easy.

Thought it would be done by now. Trying to get a coach to make a lateral move is not easy.
I wonder what kind of money she has to offer? Coaches don't get paid that well. It is also getting late in the summer and kids are starting sports and school is right around the corner. Tough to hop several states on short notice for someone with a family unless you get a nice raise.

Not sure if I've posted this publicly, but I will never EVER forgive the NCAA for their dissing of the Gopher Softball team this last spring. I hope the P5 conferences join together and basically put the NCAA out of business and make all of those losers jobless, and then I hope NO ONE anywhere in the country is willing to hire any of those people to do anything but shovel sh1t, or clean sewers, or pick up dead animals off the roads, or something horrible, maybe become hookers or something? I'd probably be ok if they all contracted some sort of painful, but not life threatening disease. :)

Just had to get that off my chest. Since I wasn't around last spring.

Not sure if I've posted this publicly, but I will never EVER forgive the NCAA for their dissing of the Gopher Softball team this last spring

Yep, I still get worked up when it comes up in conversation. I'm hoping all the bad press pushes the NCAA to add the "road game" factor into the strength of schedule calculation and seeding. It's hard to start the season 30+ games in the road.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No news on the assistant yet huh? Dang.

Is she related to Pokey Trachsel, the Duluth Cathedral, UMD hockey player?

Top Bottom