Gopher Softball 2018

Been too busy today to pay attention. Did I just read the Long Beach box score correctly? Gophers got NO HIT by a mid major (albeit a good one)? Unreal if true.

Gophers season team batting average is about .235 (assuming the no hit vs. LBSU that isn't in the official stats yet). That's a full .108 less than last year and the worst since 2010 when the team went 16-37. Let's hope they can come alive vs. UCLA (and rest of the season). I'm almost glad these games weren't streamed. Instead, I've got to watch MSU Mankato and Winona on FloSoftball beat up other teams down in Florida.

ComoGopher: What does unacceptable mean in my context? All I've be taught through the years is that good teams/good athletes don't lose to opponents they should beat.

ComoGopher: What does unacceptable mean in my context? All I've be taught through the years is that good teams/good athletes don't lose to opponents they should beat.

Of course they do.

Well I completely disagree because sometimes stuff just happens. However, this team looks uninspired and lifeless. That is on the coaches and the seniors. This team is too good to be losing to Long Beach State 1-0. Holy cow Fiser pitched a gem.

Maybe I don't completely disagree with you...

Well I completely disagree because sometimes stuff just happens. However, this team looks uninspired and lifeless. That is on the coaches and the seniors. This team is too good to be losing to Long Beach State 1-0. Holy cow Fiser pitched a gem.

Maybe I don't completely disagree with you...

That's been my point all along. Good programs (in team sports) or individual athletes (as in tennis) are judged by a) how successful they are against opponents they should beat and b) by how they do against the elite. The Gophers lost hosting a Regional 2-3 years ago when they lost to Iowa in the BIG tournament. The next year they lost in the pre-conference season to Mercer & Mt. St. Marys, etc., and then a doubleheader to an average WI team, at home no less. Allister admitted on air in an interview that they lost out because of those bad losses. This year's team is very talented but listless, thus losing games to lesser-talented teams. There's gotta be a reason. I have no idea what it is.

Ohio State off this weekend.
Michigan hooked up with #8 Baylor. Wolverines left hander, Beaubien, beats the Baylor ace 6-3.

Very good to see that they managed a win over CSU. Brandt pitched a heck of a game in relief of Fiser.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

That's been my point all along. Good programs (in team sports) or individual athletes (as in tennis) are judged by a) how successful they are against opponents they should beat and b) by how they do against the elite. The Gophers lost hosting a Regional 2-3 years ago when they lost to Iowa in the BIG tournament. The next year they lost in the pre-conference season to Mercer & Mt. St. Marys, etc., and then a doubleheader to an average WI team, at home no less. Allister admitted on air in an interview that they lost out because of those bad losses. This year's team is very talented but listless, thus losing games to lesser-talented teams. There's gotta be a reason. I have no idea what it is.

My guess is it is a lack of fan support. I am really sick of “fans” complaining when we don’t win every game. Support the team. Support the school. Support the players and you will be much happier. Stop trying to win a national championship in every game. Celebrate the wins. Morn the losses (like the team does). But be a fan - not a critic. If you don’t like the results don’t follow the process. Everyone including the team wants more....but looking back is not how we get there. Look forward...with or without the “fans” that is how we will find our success

My guess is it is a lack of fan support. I am really sick of “fans” complaining when we don’t win every game. Support the team. Support the school. Support the players and you will be much happier. Stop trying to win a national championship in every game. Celebrate the wins. Morn the losses (like the team does). But be a fan - not a critic. If you don’t like the results don’t follow the process. Everyone including the team wants more....but looking back is not how we get there. Look forward...with or without the “fans” that is how we will find our success

I don't need your pontificating. I am not, in your insinuation, a pseudo "fan." Instead I'm a great and loyal fan and my season tickets help support the team, as I hope yours do, too. And, yes, I take it seriously when the coaches proclaim that their goal is to reach the CWS, not just to win some, lose some along the way. I take no delight in seeing the Floridas, Oklahomas, and UCLAs at the top. I want MN to be there. Why should the Gophers not be at the top? Nor do I feel any need to apologize for feeling that way. It's a competitive pastime. I will follow the process, as I do with every game. And, like everybody else, I will use what critical skills I have to critique the games, as everybody is welcome to do and often follow up on. These athletes are college students, not pros, so nobody's taking them to task. At the same time, they're terrifically talented but not playing up to their ability as a unit/team. Anxiously, we wonder why. Hopefully, they'll come around.

They must really miss Allister and Merchant. Some of the batting averages are hard to fathom. I thought this was going to be an incredibly potent offense. I am baffled.

If you're really a fan a gopher softball, maybe start talking about the positives.

This is my favorite message in this ENTIRE post. This is what a true fan looks like.

If you're really a fan a gopher softball, maybe start talking about the positives.
Of all the posts you pick this one to quote about being negative???

They sure showed a lot of grit to come back and beat a very good Colorado State team. last game of a disappointing trip - would have been easy for them to fold. Impressed that they did not.

Great opportunity ahead. The committee rewards quality wins more than they punish suspect losses. Best of luck to the team this weekend in Arizona!

They sure showed a lot of grit to come back and beat a very good Colorado State team. last game of a disappointing trip - would have been easy for them to fold. Impressed that they did not.

Great opportunity ahead. The committee rewards quality wins more than they punish suspect losses. Best of luck to the team this weekend in Arizona!

They did. This weekend and the whole next week is a great opportunity for them to make a statement. The bats have got to get going if they are going to be successful this season.

Here are players and how much their average and slugging percentage has gone up or down so far this year compared to the end of last year. Lots of potential explanations as to why. Who knows?
Lots of season left. Big Ten season hasn't even started. I'm saying we will move toward the mean as the Big Ten season develops as long as we are reasonably healthy.

Player...................ave.......slugging
MaKenna Partain ... -15........151
Kendyl Lindaman ....-153......-263
Erika Rozell............101.........101
Sydney Dwyer........-141.......-187
Carlie Brandt.........33...........-51
Danielle Parlich......-169.......-265
Maddie Houlihan.....-223......-301
Dani Wagner..........31.........131
Kaylen Krueger.......-122......-427
Allie Arneson.........-217.......-433
Katelyn Kemetmueller. -102......-70

Here are players and how much their average and slugging percentage has gone up or down so far this year compared to the end of last year. Lots of potential explanations as to why. Who knows?
Lots of season left. Big Ten season hasn't even started. I'm saying we will move toward the mean as the Big Ten season develops as long as we are reasonably healthy.

Well, the Gophs are almost 1/3 through the season so moving anywhere near the mean would mean the offense lighting it up big time the rest of the year. Let's hope.

The heart of the order is struggling. Individually they are getting some key hits but BAs dropping .150-.200 per hitter means we are not stringing hits together and scoring runs. If you can throw 5-6 .300 hitters in a row (most with power) at a pitcher some runs are going to be scored. They did that last year and aren't so far this year. These are some good hitters so I am confident they will turn it around.

The heart of the order is struggling. Individually they are getting some key hits but BAs dropping .150-.200 per hitter means we are not stringing hits together and scoring runs. If you can throw 5-6 .300 hitters in a row (most with power) at a pitcher some runs are going to be scored. They did that last year and aren't so far this year. These are some good hitters so I am confident they will turn it around.

Also, We need to consider the level of the opponents that are being played this year. Last year, the numbers for hitters were inflated by facing pitchers that are not as good as those being faced this year. If you look at the 5 ranked teams that the Gophers played last year (Washingtonx2, Alabamax2, LSUx1), the Gophers were 1-4 with a batting average of .211. In the four losses, the average was .196 and they scored only 2 runs in 30 innings. They need to continue to play better opposition and get better at hitting their pitching, and, hopefully start getting more wins.

Also, We need to consider the level of the opponents that are being played this year. Last year, the numbers for hitters were inflated by facing pitchers that are not as good as those being faced this year. If you look at the 5 ranked teams that the Gophers played last year (Washingtonx2, Alabamax2, LSUx1), the Gophers were 1-4 with a batting average of .211. In the four losses, the average was .196 and they scored only 2 runs in 30 innings. They need to continue to play better opposition and get better at hitting their pitching, and, hopefully start getting more wins.

I agree, Gopher68. The Gophers' hitting against top-10 teams the past couple of years has been woeful. But it can get better. Some of the BIG teams they face last year, such as Indiana, Iowa, & Purdue, not to mention non-BIG South Dakota, were weak. The Gophers would have benefited from facing tougher opponents. We can hope for a big breakout these coming two weeks.

I agree, Gopher68. The Gophers' hitting against top-10 teams the past couple of years has been woeful. But it can get better. Some of the BIG teams they face last year, such as Indiana, Iowa, & Purdue, not to mention non-BIG South Dakota, were weak. The Gophers would have benefited from facing tougher opponents. We can hope for a big breakout these coming two weeks.

You guys are sounding so negative! Stop it! :cool:

Hard for me to explain the weak hitting against the teams on this year's schedule that are not what I would call "Good" teams. These ladies need to start hitting. They can do it. All in all, as long as they get themselves together for the B1G season they will be just fine.

You guys are sounding so negative! Stop it! :cool:

Hard for me to explain the weak hitting against the teams on this year's schedule that are not what I would call "Good" teams. These ladies need to start hitting. They can do it. All in all, as long as they get themselves together for the B1G season they will be just fine.

Not being negative. Just trying to rationalize the difference in statistics. I do think the stronger nonconference opponents will make them better. The more they schedule better competition, the better they will become. Looking forward to seeing them in action when they finally get to play JSC.

Tonight is the night to get things back on track!

ASU pitcher is on fire. Gophies 10 batters and 8 strike outs.

ASU pitcher is on fire. Gophies 10 batters and 8 strike outs.

I saw her pitch earlier in the year when I took a vacation to Phoenix and watched a couple of games. She can really bring the heat. And the ASU staff is DEEP.

I saw her pitch earlier in the year when I took a vacation to Phoenix and watched a couple of games. She can really bring the heat. And the ASU staff is DEEP.

I'm a little jealous. I took my daughter to a couple games at Farrington a couple years ago over spring break (ASU, JMU, Georgetown, and another team I can't remember). That ballpark is beautiful this time of year. ASU didn't look as good then as they do tonight...especially the pitching.

Sidebar note as I watch the Gopher/ASU game. It sure would be nice to see Gopher softball host a tournament at US Bank stadium this time of year like the baseball team did last week instead of traveling constantly. No idea if that stadium could realistically host softball with a dirt infield or have decent site lines for a softball field...but it would be nice.

Top Bottom