Gopher Softball 2018

I hope they get placed somewhere other than a "name brand" SEC team. There is a definite perceived officiating bias in those programs (good ol' home cookin). This bias was just discussed on a recent Fastpitch News podcast.

I think the top 5 teams to avoid at all costs are Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Oklahoma, and Florida. Take our chances with anyone else. But the committee loves to send us to the Pacific Northwest.

I see Michigan is now ranked 15th. If the committee gives them a regional host I'm gonna puke.

We aren't going to host a regional so I guess it doesn't matter. Finish strong and then win the B1G tourney! Then go on the road to some SEC team and crush them!

If she can coax that out of the squad, well, she will have done quite a job.

I see Michigan is now ranked 15th. If the committee gives them a regional host I'm gonna puke.

This was inevitable. Michigan, due to its past successes, has an 'in' with the NCAA. That's what the Gophers need to do, too, that is, MN needs to make a big splash on the national arena. Until then, they won't get any breaks. They can't do that by just being a big fish in the BIG, whose teams are in general not that strong. They have to go in to an SEC place or PAC 10 locale and knock 'em dead. Personally I don't have outlandish hopes for the Gophers in 2018 any more. I'm just trying to enjoy the games that are left. If something great happens, so much the better.

This was inevitable. Michigan, due to its past successes, has an 'in' with the NCAA. That's what the Gophers need to do, too, that is, MN needs to make a big splash on the national arena. Until then, they won't get any breaks. They can't do that by just being a big fish in the BIG, whose teams are in general not that strong. They have to go in to an SEC place or PAC 10 locale and knock 'em dead. Personally I don't have outlandish hopes for the Gophers in 2018 any more. I'm just trying to enjoy the games that are left. If something great happens, so much the better.
to
Wow! Not even sure how to respond to something like this. I guess it is better to say nothing than to question the support of our fans. In order to compete against the best you need to get the best. Best coaches. Best facilities. Best players. Best fans. I guess we can sell recruits on 3 out of 4?

Don't question my fan support. I'm a season ticket holder and am at every single game or see every game on TV or streaming. I'd say we can sell recruits on 4 out of 4 points you bring up. In judging this year's prospects from here on out, however, I'm only describing them as I see them, as far as expected team performance on the field goes. Fiser is great, but they have only her in the circle against big-time opponents, with Smith now injured. I see they're improving their on-field play, especially the defense. If you have evidence they're going to win the BIG season title, the BIG tournament, and advance far in the NCAAs, please give it. If you're right in the end, I would be overjoyed. No one wants them to succeed big-time more than I do. Succeeding big-time means going way deep in the NCAAs.

to
Wow! Not even sure how to respond to something like this. I guess it is better to say nothing than to question the support of our fans. In order to compete against the best you need to get the best. Best coaches. Best facilities. Best players. Best fans. I guess we can sell recruits on 3 out of 4?

Grudgeguy, you and Hrothgar are both diehard Gopher softball fans IMO. You just have different opinions. I like having both of you on this board because I like to read different opinions. I am a HUGE optimist and a HUGE Gopher fan. I believe that the regular season B1G title might be tough to take but I think this team can win the B1G tourney. After last year, I have no delusions about us getting to host a regional. If it happens that would be gravy. This team needs to go on the road and upset someone with the odds stacked against them. I just hope that we can get in a winnable regional. I want to avoid the top 10 teams and get into a regional hosted by #11-#16. Fiser can put us into the position to win any game. It will take a little bit of luck and good fortune but that is normal. We could have and should have beat Bama last year but we stranded runners. We didn't get hits when we needed them. We can blame umpires, blah blah blah but if we get one key hit we win that regional.

Don't question my fan support. I'm a season ticket holder and am at every single game or see every game on TV or streaming. I'd say we can sell recruits on 4 out of 4 points you bring up. In judging this year's prospects from here on out, however, I'm only describing them as I see them, as far as expected team performance on the field goes. Fiser is great, but they have only her in the circle against big-time opponents, with Smith now injured. I see they're improving their on-field play, especially the defense. If you have evidence they're going to win the BIG season title, the BIG tournament, and advance far in the NCAAs, please give it. If you're right in the end, I would be overjoyed. No one wants them to succeed big-time more than I do. Succeeding big-time means going way deep in the NCAAs.

Exactly what I said. No one wants to be called out for being a fair weather fan. You can believe in the team we put on the field or you can believe we are not up to the standards of other teams. Either way I KNOW FOR A FACT our kids don’t care how much you spend on tickets and they don’t care if you sit in the stands every game. What they want is support and your belief that they can compete every game. Show your support by believing in the kids and the team - nothing more. The players see these posts - do you really think they feel you believe in them? Tell yourself they do - you will feel better. And then remember how you “supported” this team and program years from now when we are rebuilding the program.
Let me say this - I am with you on MANY of your opinions. But I won't give up on this group so easily.

Grudgeguy, you and Hrothgar are both diehard Gopher softball fans IMO. You just have different opinions. I like having both of you on this board because I like to read different opinions. I am a HUGE optimist and a HUGE Gopher fan. I believe that the regular season B1G title might be tough to take but I think this team can win the B1G tourney. After last year, I have no delusions about us getting to host a regional. If it happens that would be gravy. This team needs to go on the road and upset someone with the odds stacked against them. I just hope that we can get in a winnable regional. I want to avoid the top 10 teams and get into a regional hosted by #11-#16. Fiser can put us into the position to win any game. It will take a little bit of luck and good fortune but that is normal. We could have and should have beat Bama last year but we stranded runners. We didn't get hits when we needed them. We can blame umpires, blah blah blah but if we get one key hit we win that regional.
Agree. I think my philosophy more closely aligns with yours though - I can’t complain about BIG regular season and BIG tournament championships. We build off that - it doesn’t happen over night and we don’t abandon ship as soon as the water gets rough. IMO.

Agree. I think my philosophy more closely aligns with yours though - I can’t complain about BIG regular season and BIG tournament championships. We build off that - it doesn’t happen over night and we don’t abandon ship as soon as the water gets rough. IMO.
I don't think Hrothgar is abandoning ship. I think he doesn't think this team has the guns to win a regional. Last year's team could not win a regional. Well ladies, you need to prove him wrong!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Two more wins for the ladies this afternoon, sweeping the Badgers 12-1 and 8-0 at Cowles. Now have won 28 straight at home. :clap:

Fiser, Brandt and Lowary held Wisconsin to a total of two hits and one run over 11 innings today. Fiser was especially good, allowing just a solo homer in game one before carrying a perfect game into the sixth of game two before Brandt closed it out. Carlie also put the finishing touches on the game two win with a sac fly to make the final 8-0 in the bottom of the sixth. Nice to see Lowary also get an inning of work in.

Seems the Badgers have decided never to pitch to Kendyl ever again. She walked and walked and walked some more in the two games. But Dwyer had three-run bomb in game one, Partain had a grand slam in the opener and the team executed small-ball to near perfection to score a bunch in game two. Also nice to see Parlich notch three hits in game two.

Pretty good roll the ladies are on with Purdue on tap for the weekend.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-sweep-badgers-in-softball-doubleheader/480886841/#1

Wisconsin gave Gophers slugger Kendyl Lindaman the Barry Bonds treatment, walking her all seven times she came to the plate — including twice intentionally when first base wasn’t even open.

Then, first-year Gophers coach Jamie Trachsel pulled pitcher Amber Fiser after five perfect innings in Game 2, missing a chance to see history. Minnesota has just five perfect games, and this would have been the Gophers’ first in 19 seasons at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium.

Those coaching curiosities added intrigue to an otherwise drama-free afternoon, as the Gophers steamrolled the Badgers 12-1 in five innings, and 8-0 in six, with both games called by the eight-run mercy rule.

“It’s championship backwards for us,” Trachsel said. “… Big picture, small focus. Never losing sight of what you’re working for.”

After going 56-5 last year in their final season under coach Jessica Allister, the Gophers had an inconsistent first half this season, going 17-13.

Sophomore Amber Fiser got two victories as the Gophers swept Wisconsin 12-1 and 8-0 Wednesday in two shortened games at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium.

But the Gophers are on a serious roll now, outscoring opponents 94-10 over the past 13 games, going 12-1 in that stretch...

...“We weren’t really thinking about [a perfect game] to be honest,” Trachsel said. “Gosh, [Fiser’s] been a workhorse for us for a long time now and she’s throwing well.

“They fouled off a bunch of pitches so her pitch count was up a little bit [to 71], and with our lead, Carlie’s more than capable.”

With All-America pitcher Sara Groenewegen gone, Fiser has taken on a much bigger load. She pitched eight innings Wednesday, raising her season total to 183⅔.

Fiser said pitching coach Piper Ritter “pulled me aside and told me that it’s getting toward the end of the season, these innings all matter and eight games in the next two weeks is going to be a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-sweep-badgers-in-softball-doubleheader/480886841/#1

Wisconsin gave Gophers slugger Kendyl Lindaman the Barry Bonds treatment, walking her all seven times she came to the plate — including twice intentionally when first base wasn’t even open.

Then, first-year Gophers coach Jamie Trachsel pulled pitcher Amber Fiser after five perfect innings in Game 2, missing a chance to see history. Minnesota has just five perfect games, and this would have been the Gophers’ first in 19 seasons at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium.

Those coaching curiosities added intrigue to an otherwise drama-free afternoon, as the Gophers steamrolled the Badgers 12-1 in five innings, and 8-0 in six, with both games called by the eight-run mercy rule.

“It’s championship backwards for us,” Trachsel said. “… Big picture, small focus. Never losing sight of what you’re working for.”

After going 56-5 last year in their final season under coach Jessica Allister, the Gophers had an inconsistent first half this season, going 17-13.

Sophomore Amber Fiser got two victories as the Gophers swept Wisconsin 12-1 and 8-0 Wednesday in two shortened games at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium.

But the Gophers are on a serious roll now, outscoring opponents 94-10 over the past 13 games, going 12-1 in that stretch...

...“We weren’t really thinking about [a perfect game] to be honest,” Trachsel said. “Gosh, [Fiser’s] been a workhorse for us for a long time now and she’s throwing well.

“They fouled off a bunch of pitches so her pitch count was up a little bit [to 71], and with our lead, Carlie’s more than capable.”

With All-America pitcher Sara Groenewegen gone, Fiser has taken on a much bigger load. She pitched eight innings Wednesday, raising her season total to 183⅔.

Fiser said pitching coach Piper Ritter “pulled me aside and told me that it’s getting toward the end of the season, these innings all matter and eight games in the next two weeks is going to be a lot.”
Coaching curiousities? I love it when baseball fans assume that the same "rules" apply to softball.

This team is playing really well right now. Great to see the defense looking better as well. They just need to take care of business with Purdue and PSU. If all works out right maybe Indiana and tOSU can each steal a game from Michigan.

Coaching curiousities? I love it when baseball fans assume that the same "rules" apply to softball.

This team is playing really well right now. Great to see the defense looking better as well. They just need to take care of business with Purdue and PSU. If all works out right maybe Indiana and tOSU can each steal a game from Michigan.

Just looked at the MI schedule. They have 7 B1G games left and the Gophies have 6; so MI would need to lose 3 more games than the Gophies in that time frame for the standings to flip. Darn weather cancellations.

Just take care of business and keep winning! Get a high seed in the tourney and then settle the debate with Michigan on the field in the championship game. Sounds like fun!

Just take care of business and keep winning! Get a high seed in the tourney and then settle the debate with Michigan on the field in the championship game. Sounds like fun!
I like the way you think!

I will probably have two extra all-session passes for the Big Ten Tourney in Madison. If anyone is interested please let me know. Face value is $25 each.

9--0 over Purdue in game one. Fiser. Pitches a perfect game today and has 9 straight innings of perfect ball over the last two games. Arneson is the hitting star with 2 three run homers. Lindeman was NOT walked today and went 1-2 with a double. Way to go ladies.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Arneson belts two.

Allie had some really quality at-bats against Wisconsin as well, so it's good to see the bottom of the order starting to heat up a bit.

As for Amber, she's in a crazy good groove right now. Perfect time of the season for it.

I feel like the team is really coming together. Pitching, bats, and defense are all coming together at the right time.

That dang Northwestern series is really bothering me right now. If we played them next weekend I think we would sweep them.

Wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

Ladies shut out Purdue 4-0 in game two of their series in West Lafayette. In doing so, they overcame a bit of offensive sloppiness that has been absent recently.

Partain had a two-run bomb in the first and that was all the ladies really needed before scoring twice more late to seal the victory.

Fiser, as usual, got the win.

Because of weather games lost Indiana needs to loose 1 one of there last 4 and Michigan needs to loose 2 of there last five. Indiana closes with Rutgers, so they probably need to loose tomorrow. Michigan has 3 with Ohio St. and one with Michigan St. There will not be a tie for first. Gophers playing well and I like our chances in the Big tourney.

Okay, I have to say that as excited as I am about this team, I just don’t get it. We pitch Fiser EVERY game. We have ZERO chance to host, and a 100% chance to make the field of 64. So what is the point of working Fiser to death? To try to win the BIG title? I don’t get it.

Okay, I have to say that as excited as I am about this team, I just don’t get it. We pitch Fiser EVERY game. We have ZERO chance to host, and a 100% chance to make the field of 64. So what is the point of working Fiser to death? To try to win the BIG title? I don’t get it.
I think you are 100% correct. The math is off in someone's head. Give Fiser some down time and make sure she is fresh for the regional...

Like the decision moving Lindaman to leadoff, only way to not get walked at least once

I think you are 100% correct. The math is off in someone's head. Give Fiser some down time and make sure she is fresh for the regional...

Yep. Guessing NDSU isn't great and Penn looks bad, so pitch her no more than twice of the next 5 games. 2 for Carlie and one for Rachel/Hannah if Sydney still isn't healthy.

Nothing to do with the game, but those dugouts are really expansive! Look like airport runways.

Banging it over the fence.

Top Bottom