Gopher Softball 2018

Well, if the B1G ever does break off from the NCAA, and other conferences are in negotiations about doing the same thing, I hope the B1G tells the SEC, that softball/baseball is going to be treated fairly from that point on, or no deal, or hey, we could exclude the SEC in cbb, it wouldn't be that hard. lol, I really hate the SEC right now. I know FSU is ACC, but the ACC and other southern conferences simply follow the lead of the SEC. IMO

Big Ten scores from Friday

Penn State lost to VT 1-0 and lost to Duke 7-5
Nebraska beat BC 2-1 and beat GT 6-5
Northwestern lost to Louisville 3-2 and 7-6
Wisconsin over Pitt 5-1
Iowa over Tulsa 2-1
MSU lost to Georgetown 4-3 and lost to SC 5-1
Purdue lost to VT 2-0 and lost to Duke 4-0
Indiana lost to BC 4-0 and lost to GT 4-1
Iowa lost to Butler 4-0
Illinois beat Pitt 5-4 and lost to NC 6-2
OSU lost to NC State 5-4
Rutgers lost to Oregon 10-0
Minnesota lost to FSU 3-2
Michigan vs Notre Dame postponed

Big Ten scores from Friday

Penn State lost to VT 1-0 and lost to Duke 7-5
Nebraska beat BC 2-1 and beat GT 6-5
Northwestern lost to Louisville 3-2 and 7-6
Wisconsin over Pitt 5-1
Iowa over Tulsa 2-1
MSU lost to Georgetown 4-3 and lost to SC 5-1
Purdue lost to VT 2-0 and lost to Duke 4-0
Indiana lost to BC 4-0 and lost to GT 4-1
Iowa lost to Butler 4-0
Illinois beat Pitt 5-4 and lost to NC 6-2
OSU lost to NC State 5-4
Rutgers lost to Oregon 10-0
Minnesota lost to FSU 3-2
Michigan vs Notre Dame postponed
I really like the B1G/ACC challenge. A good way to get some good games early in the season.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I really like the B1G/ACC challenge. A good way to get some good games early in the season.

Really like the fact they get FSU for two games. Anxious to see Hanson for FSU, who I suspect will throw the game for the Seminoles. Also like the Florida State coach, aggressive on the bases.
Like getting Lindaman up in the 1st inning (maybe not in the 2 spot, but whatever).
Florida State gets Michigan right after the Gopher game and I am hoping the Michigan left hander gets the call.

So, no stream for the Notre Dame game?
Michigan beat the Irish 6-0 this morning. Beaubien went 5 innings with Blanco throwing the final 2.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No Partain in the line up.

Pitching is suspect and where have the bats gone?

Thought she might let someone else throw an inning, since I would guess Smith gets the ball tomorrow against Notre Dame. (Also I do not think they are going to get to Hanson.)

Just too rusty or what? Seems like a bunch of errors

On a positive note, MN high school finally put responsibility on coaches for players to be properly equipped so no more wasting 5 minutes for umpires to have to check

The left handed freshman, Beaubien, is going to throw for the Wolverines against FSU. She already won the earlier game against Notre Dame today.

I watched all 5 Gopher games in Las Vegas last weekend. It was cheering to see them win, but not cheering to see how uninspired they were. Very passive at the plate; they had Fiser to thank for a whole lot that weekend. This weekend in Tallahassee has been wretched. The Gophers themselves robbed Fisher of both those first 2 games by their lack of hitting and bad errors. They essentially gave the games away. You can't wait till the 7th inning to start hitting and expect to win many games. What strikes me is their inability to beat teams ranked in the top 10 nationally, as witnessed by their performances the past 3 years against teams such as Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Alabama, FSU. Losing to Notre Dame? It should never happen. Hopefully they can get the ship righted soon. The first two weeks have not shown a team wanting it very badly or inspired enough to win the BIG or get anywhere near the CWS.

I watched all 5 Gopher games in Las Vegas last weekend. It was cheering to see them win, but not cheering to see how uninspired they were. Very passive at the plate; they had Fiser to thank for a whole lot that weekend. This weekend in Tallahassee has been wretched. The Gophers themselves robbed Fisher of both those first 2 games by their lack of hitting and bad errors. They essentially gave the games away. You can't wait till the 7th inning to start hitting and expect to win many games. What strikes me is their inability to beat teams ranked in the top 10 nationally, as witnessed by their performances the past 3 years against teams such as Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Alabama, FSU. Losing to Notre Dame? It should never happen. Hopefully they can get the ship righted soon. The first two weeks have not shown a team wanting it very badly or inspired enough to win the BIG or get anywhere near the CWS.

Yep. 1 win in all those top 10 games (AZ in regional). Interesting to note, though, that ALL those games were true road games. None were at neutral site tournaments. With the home-cooking bias that seems so obvious at times with these big name programs at home, it's extremely difficult to overcome...and the Gophers just haven't been able to get that signature break-through series. Yet. Let's hope the butt-whoopin this weekend serves as a wake up call because they have the talent to break through.

Take this with a grain of salt since it's coming from some dummy watching games on a computer screen, but Meghan Beaubien is the next great pitcher from the Big Ten. She is the best in the Big Ten right now.

Big Ten scores from Saturday

Maryland over Delaware 4-1 and lost to Auburn 12-1
PSU lost to VT 9-6
Indiana beat BC 8-3
Michigan beat Notre Dame 6-0 also beat FSU 1-0
Ohio State beat Louisville 6-5 and beat NC State 5-4
Iowa beat Butler 8-0 and lost to Texas A&M 3-2
Wisconsin lost to Pitt 6-5 and lost to NC 9-7
Rutgers lost to Mississippi 9-1 and beat Houston 4-3
Nebraska beat GT 7-3
Minnesota lost to Notre Dame 6-5 and lost to FSU 9-3
MSU lost to Mercer 2-1

Jensen 8
Lindaman 2
Dwyer 3
Houlihan 9
Rozell 7
Parlich 5
Velazquez dp
Kemetmueller 6
Brandt 4
Smith 1

Gophers trailing ND 1-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. Gophers are the home team.
Bailey in to pitch the top of the 4th.
ND scores a couple more. 3-0 with 2 outs and runner on 3rd in the top of the 4th.
Top of the 5th, Gophers still down 3-0. They have 1 hit and 1 costly error.
Brandt takes over in the circle. to start the 5th.
Brandt throws a scoreless 5th. She gave up a 2 out double. 3-0 going into the bottom of the 5th.
Brandt with a scoreless 6th. 3 infield ground outs.
Gophers get Lindaman on with a walk in the 6th, but fail to do anything else. Still being shutout with only 1 hit.
Brandt gives up a lead off double, but strands the runner on 3rd with 3 ground outs.
Bottom of the 7th, 4, 5 and 6 up(
Gophers lose 3-0. They had 1 hit. Total of 4 base runners with the 3 walks. Never had a runner reach second, (I think).

Gophers trailing ND 1-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. Gophers are the home team.
Bailey in to pitch the top of the 4th.
ND scores a couple more. 3-0 with 2 outs and runner on 3rd in the top of the 4th.
Top of the 5th, Gophers still down 3-0. They have 1 hit and 1 costly error.
Brandt takes over in the circle. to start the 5th.
Brandt throws a scoreless 5th. She gave up a 2 out double. 3-0 going into the bottom of the 5th.
Brandt with a scoreless 6th. 3 infield ground outs.
Gophers get Lindaman on with a walk in the 6th, but fail to do anything else. Still being shutout with only 1 hit.
Brandt gives up a lead off double, but strands the runner on 3rd with 3 ground outs.
Bottom of the 7th, 4, 5 and 6 up.
Well that was a tough 0-4 weekend.

Very tough weekend. Obviously missing Wagner, Partain, Arneson. The new coach has her work cut out.

Well that was a tough 0-4 weekend.

On the bright side, Big Ten teams with 18 and 20 losses last year got in the NCAA tourney with similar, if not better, seeding than the Gophers. Maybe this early season stuff just doesn't really matter in terms of post-season play. I'm now glad I was only able to watch 1 game this weekend (FSU on Friday).

Top Bottom