Gopher Softball 2018

I don't think Cummings is very good and that is my point. She had a good night on Friday. I don't think our team was awful but they weren't great. I am giving the pitcher credit for pitching a great game. She was awful in the first inning on Sunday and then we couldn't score on her again for four innings. Friday was not that bad and Sunday was not that good. On Sunday, the ladies had a really good first inning and then at the end of the game Partain scores on a freak play and Maddie gets the HR.

Why is it that if this team loses they somehow have to be "flat" "unprepared" "mentally not with it" "coaches didn't do their job" etc... If they win that is not the case. My original point after Friday was that if Maddie hits the HR all the negative Nancy stuff would not have been posted. We probably would have been talking about how "clutch" the Gophers are and the only difference would have been one pitch and one swing.

The real choke jobs this B1G season happened in Chicago and not on Friday night.
I think you and MRJ are both being hard-headed now! Lol!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I think you and MRJ are both being hard-headed now! Lol!

How am I being hard-headed? I simply replied to someone who was upset with the characterization that they had an awful game offensively on Friday, which they did. ComoGopher is clearly mad about it. This conversation was started by someone who wanted to rehash something that was already put to rest. I see it one way, this person sees it another. That's all.

How am I being hard-headed? I simply replied to someone who was upset with the characterization that they had an awful game offensively on Friday, which they did. ComoGopher is clearly mad about it. This conversation was started by someone who wanted to rehash something that was already put to rest. I see it one way, this person sees it another. That's all.

I am not mad at all I just disagree and I am having a lot of fun with this! If we lose in the first round of the B1G, how long until someone mentions the St. Kate's coach again!

I am not mad at all I just disagree and I am having a lot of fun with this! If we lose in the first round of the B1G, how long until someone mentions the St. Kate's coach again!

I certainly won't! Lol. Anyway, like you said, it's all in good fun. Sharing different perspectives is important. All bantering aside, I really like where this team is at right now. Hoping for a big showing at the conference tourney and then in the NCAAs.

I'm kind of keeping an eye on Drake because of their pitcher.
Also, who is going to emerge as the champ from the CAA? Hofstra or James Madison?
I am interested in how these conference tourneys shake out and how that impacts the regionals. I am really hoping that the Gophers can get into a winnable regional.

I am interested in how these conference tourneys shake out and how that impacts the regionals. I am really hoping that the Gophers can get into a winnable regional.

Yeah, good point. The luck of the draw sure plays a major role.

Oh, you mean the former Gopher captain and MVP and now St Kate's coach?

Ellie's comments aside, Cummings isn't very good. Sorry to break that to you, but apparently you're convinced the Gophers can't hit her unless she's just off. The stats say she's been off the vast majority of the season. Then all of the sudden, she's on her game and was simply baffling to the Gophers. Under that line of thinking, I guess it was just lucky that she was off on Sunday. I'm sure the team is breathing a huge sigh of relief on that one.

Bottom line was they made virtually no adjustments in that Friday game. And no one said they were great on Sunday. They simply got the job done like they should have on Friday. Obviously, the comments on the ugliness of that loss still bug you. And I certainly don't think it's just a happy coincidence that they outscored the Nits 27-0 over the final two games. They knew they laid an egg on Friday and more than made up it for it, which is what they deserve the most credit for.

But it's over and done with. Time to move on to the Big 10 Tournament.

The discussion goes back and forth. As I see it, the answer's clear. There have been several games in 2018 in which the Gophers weren't ready to play against inferior teams. Don't know why not, but it cost them at least a tie for the BIG regular season championship. It was there for the taking; they failed. We all feel a huge missed chance. A good post-season is the fervent hope.

Oh, you mean the former Gopher captain and MVP and now St Kate's coach?

Yeah her! I hope we can jump on teams quick in the first two rounds so Fiser can get some rest and be fresh for the final showdown. It is nice that she has four full days of rest before we have to play. Not playing until Friday is a bonus.

For the final on Saturday do you all think it is an advantage to play the early game and get to rest for a game or would you rather play back to back games?

The awards are out!!!!!!

Lindaman - 1st Team All-Big Ten & Big Ten POTY
Partain - 1st Team All-Big Ten
Fiser - 1st Team All-Big Ten
Jensen - 2nd Team All-Big Ten
Cowger - Sportsmanship Award

From gophersports.com

Jensen should have been 1st Team but still a really big honor for her. Houlihan really got robbed this year. BIG awards are based on BIG stats but she hit .338 with 5 HR, 7-7 on SB and 19 RBI in conference play. Compare her stats to Tori Dubois who made 2nd team. Obviously they wanted at least 1 player from every team in the conference since Dubois was the only PSU player to make it...

BIG Stats
Maddie Houlihan , Minnesota .338 20-20 68 14 23 2 0 5 19 40 .588 4 2 9 0 .392 0 0 7-7
Tori Dubois, Penn State .282 23-23 71 11 20 2 0 7 10 43 .606 5 4 8 0 .363 0 0 2-2

Overall Stats
Maddie Houlihan , Minnesota .297 50-50 155 28 46 7 1 6 29 73 .471 19 4 22 1 .388 0 2 15-15
Tori Dubois, Penn State .295 50-50 156 21 46 8 0 9 27 81 .519 7 11 18 1 .368 0 0 3-5

The awards are out!!!!!!

Lindaman - 1st Team All-Big Ten & Big Ten POTY
Partain - 1st Team All-Big Ten
Fiser - 1st Team All-Big Ten
Jensen - 2nd Team All-Big Ten
Cowger - Sportsmanship Award

From gophersports.com
Pretty close to what I figured they'd be. Wasn't sure Lindaman had enough RBIs, but there's no doubting her average, homers and OBP.

Plus, every team she faces is scared to death of her, which makes all those numbers even more impressive.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

James Madison getting beat 3-0 by Charleston in the bottom of the 4th in the CAA tourney.
JM comes back to win it 5-3. They play Hofstra today.

#13 Texas A&M falls to Ole Miss 2-0.

Really, really looks like it's the Badgers. Wisconsin up by 8-0 over Purdue in the bottom of the 4th.

Wisconsin it is.

Who pitched for the BADgers? We didn't see Mentz during the season.

On my way to Madtown! Hoping for a BiG tourney title!

http://www.startribune.com/kendyl-l...oftball-team-to-strong-second-half/482345891/

STrib's Rachel Blount:

When Jamie Trachsel dialed the phone, she wasn’t sure what she was going to hear. The new Gophers softball coach, who was hired last July after former coach Jessica Allister left for Stanford, knew there had been speculation about whether Big Ten Player of the Year Kendyl Lindaman would stay.

Lindaman was the first player Trachsel called after signing her contract — and the sophomore catcher immediately put her mind at ease. “I told her, ‘I love this school,’ ” Lindaman recalled Wednesday. “I could never see myself leaving this team behind. I just wanted to come back out here with a chip on my shoulder and get back to work at Minnesota.’’

That commitment, Lindaman said, helped her and her teammates withstand a rocky start to the season before surging into this week’s Big Ten tournament in Madison, Wis. In their first 30 games under Trachsel, the Gophers went 17-13 and fell out of the national rankings.

Weather is not looking good here. We will see what happens today but delays are definitely a possibility.

2 errors, wild pitch, and 2-0 count a bad start for wisco. If they can't catch up to Amber's fastball then fielding not much of a problem

It is cold nasty and wet.

With rain forecast all weekend, not sure how they'll get this in.

We are in bottom of 3. 4-0. 2nd inning, Jensen doubles, Partain single. Linda with a K (what). Maddie with a triple.

Never heard of a chopper delay. Will be interesting to watch.

Top Bottom