Gopher Softball 2018

Right. It was the second time she was lifted for a runner. She can only reenter once.

Nothing like a tight game early in the season to get the kinks out from both a playing and coaching perspective. I'm guessing Trachsel had 2nd thoughts about being required to go without her All American late in the game. Rozell stepped up nicely though.

I was going to post something similar yesterday vs. NDSU where she showed the slap a couple of times. That seems to be new, but wasn't sure if I just never caught it in the past. The fake bunt stance seems to be new too. I love her normal relaxed/efficient stance; I tell my daughter to watch her technique whenever she comes to bat.

My only concern with it is that it might take away some of Maddie's pop. I really like Jensen's use of the square-around. She's really fast and knows how to get herself on base with it. Probably not a bad idea for Makenna either since I know she also runs very well. Turns out Partain just decided to go long-ball in the seventh and it really jumped started the offense in that inning.

Have to say Fiser is also maturing nicely in the circle. Now 17-0 in her college career with the win. Also notched 10 K's.

MTurns out Partain just decided to go long-ball in the seventh and it really jumped started the offense in that inning.

HUGE! Clutch city :cool: And Jensen getting on base to start the inning was big.

For the camera being in one place, I thought the streaming was good. Sure wish that would happen every game.

I enjoyed no announcer as well. I love hearing the yelling from the benches!

Me too. Makes it fell a little more authentic imo.

Thought UNLV did a very nice job with the stream.

I enjoyed no announcer as well. I love hearing the yelling from the benches!

Yeah. Hearing the occasional stadium announcement was fine. I kind of chuckled at the boisterous Blue Jay chants and the cheering from the dugouts.

Lindaman was replaced by a pinch runner while on 2nd in the prior inning. I'm pretty sure she had a pinch runner previously in the game as well. I'm not an NCAA rules guru, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, the 4th and the 6th....now that I looked it up. That is very interesting that she did it in the 6th. She was golden on the decision, so.....

Yeah, the 4th and the 6th....now that I looked it up. That is very interesting that she did it in the 6th. She was golden on the decision, so.....

Lindaman got thrown out yesterday trying to advance from 1st to 3rd. I'm guessing that was in Trachsel's thoughts.

My only concern with it is that it might take away some of Maddie's pop. I really like Jensen's use of the square-around. She's really fast and knows how to get herself on base with it. Probably not a bad idea for Makenna either since I know she also runs very well. Turns out Partain just decided to go long-ball in the seventh and it really jumped started the offense in that inning.

Have to say Fiser is also maturing nicely in the circle. Now 17-0 in her college career with the win. Also notched 10 K's.

Yeah. Playing small ball with this lineup might be like using your Ferrari to get groceries.

Games today for the Big Ten teams

Ohio State plays Northern Illinois, Duke..... won and won
Michigan plays UAB, Georgia State..... won and won
Indiana plays Boise State, Oregon State..... lost and lost
Minnesota plays Southern Utah, Utah Valley..... won and won
Illinois plays Providence, North Florida..... won and lost
Wisconsin plays Colorado State, Texas..... lost and lost
Penn State plays Alabama, Virginia Tech..... lost and lost
Iowa plays Illinois-Chicago, Eastern Illinois..... won and lost
Northwestern plays Arizona, San Diego State..... lost and won
Maryland plays Cal Poly, UCLA..... lost and lost
Michigan State plays Duke, Florida Atlantic..... lost and lost
Purdue plays Arizona State, San Jose State..... lost and lost
Rutgers plays UC Riverside, Cal State Fullerton..... lost and lost
Nebraska plays BYU, Arizona State..... won and lost

Interesting note, this is Duke's first season of softball. Michigan State has the honor of being the first team ever to be shutout by the Blue Devils.

I was going to post something similar yesterday vs. NDSU where she showed the slap a couple of times. That seems to be new, but wasn't sure if I just never caught it in the past. The fake bunt stance seems to be new too. I love her normal relaxed/efficient stance; I tell my daughter to watch her technique whenever she comes to bat.

I've noticed that fake bunt stance, too, in a few hitters, and I'm not a fan of slap hitting or excessive bunting. They have a new hitting coach, though, so that may be the new dispensation. At least they were swinging freely in the 7th inning. I agree that they seemed pretty passive at the plate at times all weekend. They'd better get used to facing every team's top pitchers all season, which may toughen them.

Opening Weekend Records

Minnesota 5-0
Ohio State 5-0
Nebraska 5-1
Northwestern 4-1
Michigan 3-2
Wisconsin 2-2
Michigan State 2-3
Rutgers 2-3
Iowa 1-3
Illinois 1-4
Maryland 1-4
Purdue 1-4
Penn State 0-2
Indiana 0-5

I felt very proud of MN for rallying to beat Creighton. It would have been so easy to lose it.

One of my favorite #s has always been 777. Well, as of today, the Gophers are 77-7 in their last 84 games

The ACC posted a 19-13 record last year, winning the Challenge. ACC teams are a combined 31-33 record in the first two years of the Challenge, with Florida State and Pitt tallying perfect 4-0 marks last year.

The Big Ten and ACC offices collaborate to determine the schedule each season. In addition, the official title of the Challenge rotates each year. The 2018 event will be referred to as the Big Ten/ACC Softball Challenge and will continue to mirror the official title of the conferences’ Challenge agreements for men's basketball, women’s basketball and volleyball.

Game times, as well as television and online coverage, will be announced at a later date. The complete schedule of Big Ten/ACC Softball Challenge matchups can be found below.

2018 Big Ten/ACC Softball Challenge
(schools listed as away vs. home for each matchup)

At Tallahassee, Fla. (host – Florida State)
Friday, Feb. 16
Game 1 – Michigan vs. Notre Dame
Game 2 – Minnesota vs. Florida State
Saturday, Feb. 17
Game 3 – Notre Dame vs. Minnesota
Game 4 – Notre Dame vs. Michigan
Game 5 – Florida State vs. Minnesota
Game 6 – Michigan vs. Florida State
Sunday, Feb. 18
Game 7 – Minnesota vs. Notre Dame
Game 8 – Florida State vs. Michigan

At Chapel Hill, N.C. (host – North Carolina)
Friday, Feb. 16
Game 1 – Wisconsin vs. Pittsburgh
Game 2 – Illinois vs. North Carolina
Saturday, Feb. 17
Game 3 – Pittsburgh vs. Illinois
Game 4 – Pittsburgh vs. Wisconsin
Game 5 – North Carolina vs. Illinois
Game 6 – Wisconsin vs. North Carolina
Sunday, Feb. 18
Game 7 – Illinois vs. Pittsburgh
Game 8 – North Carolina vs. Wisconsin

At Raleigh, N.C. (host – North Carolina State)
Friday, Feb. 16
Game 1 – Northwestern vs. Louisville
G
Game 3 – Louisville vs. Ohio State
Game 4 – Louisville vs. Northwestern
Game 5 – N.C. State vs. Ohio State
Game 6 – Northwestern vs. N.C. State
Sunday, Feb. 18
Game 7 – Ohio State vs. Louisville
Game 8 – N.C. State vs. Northwestern

At Atlanta, Ga. (host – Georgia Tech)
Friday, Feb. 16
Game 1 – Indiana vs. Boston College
Game 2 – Nebraska vs. Georgia Tech
Saturday, Feb. 17
Game 3 – Boston College vs. Nebraska
Game 4 – Boston College vs. Indiana
Game 5 – Georgia Tech vs. Nebraska
Game 6 – Indiana vs. Georgia Tech
Sunday, Feb. 18
Game 7 – Nebraska vs. Boston College
Game 8 – Georgia Tech vs. Indiana

At Durham, N.C. (host – Duke)
Friday, Feb. 16
Game 1 – Purdue vs. Virginia Tech
Game 2 – Penn State vs. Duke
Saturday, Feb. 17
Game 3 – Virginia Tech vs. Penn State
Game 4 – Virginia Tech vs. Purdue
Game 5 – Duke vs. Penn State
Game 6 – Purdue vs. Duke
Sunday, Feb. 18
Game 7 – Penn State vs. Virginia Tech
Game 8 – Duke vs. Purdue ame 2 – Ohio State vs. N.C. State
Saturday, Feb. 17

http://theacc.com/news/2017/11/8/big-ten-acc-softball-challenge-matchups-set.aspx

Stupid tid-bits

Gophers will probably see Meghan King and Kylee Hanson in the Challenge when they face Florida State. Hanson spent three plus seasons at Florida Atlantic, was injured very early in her Senior season (2017) and transferred to Florida State for this year. Led the nation with a .076 ERA in 2016 and had 300 strikeouts in 221 innings. King is no slouch either, winning 27 games last season.
Seminoles return Jessie Warren. Hits the ball over the fence and doesn't strike out. Two time All American. Had 23 home runs and 14 doubles last year among her 74 hits. She has been hitting in the #2 spot in the order.

Looking forward to seeing how left handed Michigan Freshman pitcher, Megan Beaubien, does this weekend. They obviously have faith in her to give her the ball against #2 Florida this past weekend. Now gets tested by #9 Florida State.

Oregon shortstop, BJ Sanders, who led the nation in home runs last season at Louisiana Lafayette, isn't disappointing. She has 4 home runs already while hitting in the 7th spot in the order right now. Wow, get the nation's home run leader and bat them that low in the line up.

They are about to get a good test this weekend.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Yep. If the Gophies can come through this slate of non-conference games with a winning record against Florida St., Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona & Arizona St. (all super-regional teams last year except ASU - and all but UCLA true road games I think) that would be a nice accomplishment. The NCAA won't be able to refute their credibility. Heck, if they were an SEC team, the NCAA would "supposedly" give them credit even if they lost all the games according to the excuses the committee gave last year (I couldn't help getting that dig in). Looking forward to this run!

Florida State shuts out Florida A&M in 5 innings tonight by a score of 9-0. Jessica Warren and Zoe Casas with 3 RBI's each. Kylee Hanson goes 4 innings, striking out 9 and allowing 1 hit. They go to 5-0.

Michigan/Notre Dame is postponed due to weather related travel situations. Must be some bad weather in Indiana.
Minnesota/Florida State will go on as scheduled.

ACC/Big Ten Challenge Opener vs. Notre Dame Postponed
2/16/2018 11:29:00 AM
// Leah Howard

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Weather-related travel issues have delayed the No. 20-ranked University of Michigan softball team's opening game of the annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge today (Friday, Feb. 16) when Notre Dame, the Wolverines' game-one opponent, was unable to make its flight into Tallahassee. Today's other ACC/Big Ten game between host Florida State and Minnesota will proceed as scheduled.

http://mgoblue.com/news/2018/2/16/softball-acc-big-ten-challenge-opener-vs-notre-dame-postponed.aspx

First impression-Florida State knows how to run the bases.

As I am writing, we nail her at the plate :clap:

First impression-Florida State knows how to run the bases.

As I am writing, we nail her at the plate :clap:
That girl is freaky fast. That was a nice play at the plate.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Umpire now calling Fiser's pitches on the outside edges balls... Those same pitches were strikes against Lindaman a couple of innings ago.

Umpire now calling Fiser's pitches on the outside edges balls... Those same pitches were strikes against Lindaman a couple of innings ago.

Now Kemmetmueller struck out looking on a pitch 6 inches outside. Can the Southern umpires ever just call a straight game when it's late and close? That's all I ask. Jeez. Let's see if the Gophies can pull it out. Now top of the 7th.

Wow, what an ending! Lindaman hit it really good! Fiser pitched a good game. Brandt with a great game. On to tomorrow. Exciting weekend.

Top Bottom