Gopher Softball 2018

Arneson hasn't played at all this season. A poster a while back mentioned she was injured, didn't specify what type of injury.
Partain started at DP in the first FSU game and had a couple of at bats and was pulled. Hasn't returned.
Wagner dove for a ball in the 2nd FSU game, was switched to DP and then came out. No action since.
Chell, I believe, is on crutches. Looked like a knee injury if that was her in that Twitter video.

Michigan went with Blanco in the game that immediately followed The Minn/ND game. They find themselves behind ND 3-0 in the top of the 4th. Blanco was replaced by Schaefer after 2 innings. Which probably means that Beaubien will again face FSU, this time against Hanson, one would assume.
Michigan tied the game up 3-3.
In the top of the 6th, ND got a lead off single, next batter bunted the runner over. In came Beaubien to replace Schaefer. Promptly hits 2 batters to load the bases, gets a line out and drills the next batter to give ND the lead. Last out was also a line drive. Not a sterling performance by fan of Ray Williams proclaimed 'best pitcher in the Big Ten'.
And Michigan falls to ND 4-3.

Michigan goes with their other freshman pitcher, the right handed Shaefer against FSU. Seminoles counter with the transfer, Hanson.

Florida State goes ahead 1-0 in the 6th. Shaefer gives up a lead off double (after blanking them for 5 innings) and is replaced by the other freshman, Beaubien. FSU bunts the runner over to 3rd and next batter hits a sac fly to give them the lead.

King comes in to finish it up as FSU downs Michigan 2-0.

I follow Gophers softball as well as I can, but it's by necessity from a distance because so little seems to seep out to fans. For example, injuries: men's sports describe every ankle, knee, arm, or whatever injury to the guys in great detail, but we (or at least I) never hear a word about the women athletes' injuries. What specific injuries are keeping various Gopher softballers out of action now? Or is it something other than injuries?

Some of you folks know a lot more inside news than I. It seemed to me the team was kinda flat even when they went 5-0 in Vegas. And in Tallahassee they played poorly. I had envisioned them being, say, 8-1 by now. It seems like the same players but not the same team as last year. Was Sara G. that much of an anchor? Any inside info, please?

I follow Gophers softball as well as I can, but it's by necessity from a distance because so little seems to seep out to fans. For example, injuries: men's sports describe every ankle, knee, arm, or whatever injury to the guys in great detail, but we (or at least I) never hear a word about the women athletes' injuries. What specific injuries are keeping various Gopher softballers out of action now? Or is it something other than injuries?

Some of you folks know a lot more inside news than I. It seemed to me the team was kinda flat even when they went 5-0 in Vegas. And in Tallahassee they played poorly. I had envisioned them being, say, 8-1 by now. It seems like the same players but not the same team as last year. Was Sara G. that much of an anchor? Any inside info, please?

I don't know any inside info. I do read stats. Combined ERA was about 4.0 this past weekend. Sara G's combined ERA for Power-5 non-conference tournament teams was about .9 last year. The 2 unearned runs vs Notre Dame on Saturday cost them that game too.

I don't know any inside info. I do read stats. Combined ERA was about 4.0 this past weekend. Sara G's combined ERA for Power-5 non-conference tournament teams was about .9 last year. The 2 unearned runs vs Notre Dame on Saturday cost them that game too.

I'll add to my previous post. Gophers batted .215 for the ACC/B10 tournament and are at .254 for the year so far. The .254 would hypothetically put them near the bottom of the Big 10 according to last year's stats. They need to get the bats going as well.

Thanks, Panthadad2. Those quantitative stats help a lot! Qualitatively I always felt the Gophers played better defense when Sara G pitched. Partly because she got lots of strikeouts, of course, but also because she seemed to inspire confidence in her fielders. I've always liked Brandt, not super stuff but throws tons and tons of strikes. They all need to step up or it can get too late real quick.

Arneson has a upper leg injury and is week to week but could be a long term issue - prognosis was anywhere from 2 to 9 weeks at the beginning of the season. Partain has a hip issue similar to what she played with last season - she may come back soon but likely will need to play through some pain. Wagner dove for a ball and may have sprained or broken her wrist. Houlihan and Lindaman also have injuries they are playing through right now. And there are other key players that are battling the injury bug - unfortunately there is no time for rest in the near future. Hopefully as they recover the season will improve.

Arneson has a upper leg injury and is week to week but could be a long term issue - prognosis was anywhere from 2 to 9 weeks at the beginning of the season. Partain has a hip issue similar to what she played with last season - she may come back soon but likely will need to play through some pain. Wagner dove for a ball and may have sprained or broken her wrist. Houlihan and Lindaman also have injuries they are playing through right now. And there are other key players that are battling the injury bug - unfortunately there is no time for rest in the near future. Hopefully as they recover the season will improve.

Helpful information, thanks. Not very enouraging but very good explanation.

Chell with the knee is on crutches. I think Cowger was banged up but is now OK. We have seen nearly everyone play but I haven't seen Lowary or Thompson play. I figured Lowary would pitch some so maybe her shoulder is not 100%. Have we seen Miller in a game yet? Thompson is fast and ran a lot in the fall so I think she would run if she was healthy but she sits on a bucket in the dugout and doesn't even run out to the outfield fence or throw between innings. Looks like Arneson is out for awhile. She wasn't participating in a lot of activity either.

Lowary re-aggravated her shoulder - she has had 2 prior surgeries as well. They are going to be extremely cautious with her at this point. She has thrown a lot of bullpen sessions but is probably not ready for game duty. There is a chance she could redshirt as well.

Lowary re-aggravated her shoulder - she has had 2 prior surgeries as well. They are going to be extremely cautious with her at this point. She has thrown a lot of bullpen sessions but is probably not ready for game duty. There is a chance she could redshirt as well.
Bottom line is that the team has some injuries. Hopefully they can get healed up and get playing. Having Arneson, Partain, and Wagner out is a lot of offensive firepower in the dugout.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bottom line is that the team has some injuries. Hopefully they can get healed up and get playing. Having Arneson, Partain, and Wagner out is a lot of offensive firepower in the dugout.

Sadly, that's right up the middle, the backbone of any team. With these injuries, the middle of the field from last year is decimated. Lindaman Catcher, playing injured; Sara Groenewegen/Fiser Pitching, Sara G graduated; Arneson SS, out indefinitely; Partain 2b, playing injured or out; Wagner Cf, out w/ bad or broken wrist. Hard to win with the core banged up. Hope they can overcome it somehow.

Sadly, that's right up the middle, the backbone of any team. With these injuries, the middle of the field from last year is decimated. Lindaman Catcher, playing injured; Sara Groenewegen/Fiser Pitching, Sara G graduated; Arneson SS, out indefinitely; Partain 2b, playing injured or out; Wagner Cf, out w/ bad or broken wrist. Hard to win with the core banged up. Hope they can overcome it somehow.

Wow, it's tough to be a Gopher fan. Is it something to do with the weather? Men's bb team's season basically down the toilet because of multiple injuries, Softball team struggling like I haven't seen in a long time, because of injuries, heck even the women's bb team losing to IU the other night, was arguably because one of our leading scorers was out for the game. We lost Amanda Kessel, almost forever because of an injury. Maybe I'm being kind of myopic, but it just seems like UMn teams struggle with injuries a lot?

Well, no matter, if anything it is good to know that none of these injuries, SO FAR, are known to be season ending injuries. Let's just hope we are 100% healthy come NCAA tourney time. Until then, just be as supportive as we can be, I guess? Hey, it happens. It's a part of sports.

Go Gophers!!!

I know I can sound like a broken record but the hitters play. Arneson might be the best SS, but Partain is not the best 2B and others can play CF reasonably well. These three being injured hurts the team far more in the batters box than it does in the field. Kemmetmueller and Brandt have played well in the field. Why is Rozelle in the OF with the injuries? She can hit better than some of the others. She is a catcher. Heck, Wagner is a converted C/SS. She is not an outfielder but she can hit and is a really good athlete so they have to get her on the field. I am a huge Wagner fan so don't get me wrong but Jensen might be better in CF and there may be others on the team who can play CF as good or better but Dani can hit the ball!

Wow, it's tough to be a Gopher fan. Is it something to do with the weather? Men's bb team's season basically down the toilet because of multiple injuries, Softball team struggling like I haven't seen in a long time, because of injuries, heck even the women's bb team losing to IU the other night, was arguably because one of our leading scorers was out for the game. We lost Amanda Kessel, almost forever because of an injury. Maybe I'm being kind of myopic, but it just seems like UMn teams struggle with injuries a lot?

Well, no matter, if anything it is good to know that none of these injuries, SO FAR, are known to be season ending injuries. Let's just hope we are 100% healthy come NCAA tourney time. Until then, just be as supportive as we can be, I guess? Hey, it happens. It's a part of sports.

Go Gophers!!!

Not likely the weather. I think all teams have lots of injuries, a natural part of sports. It's just that the really top, strong programs have such good recruiting that they have great depth. The backups on those teams can step in and perform about as well as the regulars, sometimes even better. Gophers teams are often thin in depth. As I posted here before, a fellow in-the- know told me last spring, "MN has Groenewegen. Florida has three Groenewegens." In 2018, the Gophers have lots of pitchers on the staff, but after Fiser I worry how effective they are to be. I love this team, but they need to win tons of games to get where they want to be. :) Every weekend counts.

Not likely the weather. I think all teams have lots of injuries, a natural part of sports. It's just that the really top, strong programs have such good recruiting that they have great depth. The backups on those teams can step in and perform about as well as the regulars, sometimes even better. Gophers teams are often thin in depth. As I posted here before, a fellow in-the- know told me last spring, "MN has Groenewegen. Florida has three Groenewegens." In 2018, the Gophers have lots of pitchers on the staff, but after Fiser I worry how effective they are to be. I love this team, but they need to win tons of games to get where they want to be. :) Every weekend counts.

I was kind of kidding about the weather thing. I mean outside of it negatively affecting our recruiting, I don't seriously think weather hurts us as far as injuries go. Honestly, the fact that we ever win at any sport not played on ice should surprise anyone. Somehow we get people from all parts of the country, even nice warm parts of the country, to come here and play sports for us? Just amazing!!!

KillemeNow, I realize you were kidding about the weather. My only point is that the Gophers get lots of prime athletes, including in softball, but not as many as do the elite, national-champion programs, whose depth wins out in the long run. At least that's how I see it. Correct me, if I'm wrong. Just theorizing....

ComoGopher, I see your points. It seems to me the Gophers' infield defense has been somewhat lacking in recent years. 2017 seemed to be better, but maybe Sara G's many strikeouts facilitated that. In 2018, I thought Brandt played well at 2b recently. Smith and Brandt are pitch-to-contact pitchers; they need great defense to back them up.

Partain back in the lineup. Led off the game with a home run. Brandt at SS and Fiser pitching. Jensen in CF and Rozell in Lf. Velazquez is the DP.

Pitcher the Gophers are facing, Devin Brown, beat Florida State two days ago 3-1. She had 9 strikeouts in the game, giving up 4 hits. So, she is no slouch.

Gophers now up 3-1 in the top of the 3rd.
Now up 5-1 as Parlich and Lindaman get RBI's in the top of the 4th.

South Alabama with the bases loaded, 1 run in, 1 out in the bottom of the 4th. Brandt gets pulled off SS, I am assuming it is to heat up. Kemetmueller comes in at SS. (Not watching the game, so just guessing.) 5-3 now. Bases still loaded and 2 out. Inning ends at 5-3.

Top of the 5th and Gophers have Houlihan and Rozell on the corners with no out. Houlihan hit by a pitch and Rozell singled. WP scores Houlihan and Rozell moves up. 6-3. Partain knocks in a couple more to put the Gophers up 8-3. Parlich then doubles in two more. Gophers up 10-3. Pitching change. Lindaman up, this game batting in the 3 spot. (Hopefully that experiment with her at the 2 spot is over. Just my opinion.)
10-3 going into the bottom of the 5th and Brandt in to pitch.
Brandt with a 1-2-3 5th inning. Had to face the 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup.
Houlihan walks to open up the 6th and Rozell sacs her over.
Gophers strand Houlihan at 3rd and go to the bottom of the 6th still at 10-3.
Brandt will face the 6-7-8 batters.
Brandt with a couple of base on balls this inning. 2 outs and the lead off hitter up. Brandt gets her to ground into a fielders choice and the Gophers go to bat in the top of the 7th. Jensen, Partain (3 for 3 so far), Parlich up.
Jensen singles, steals second, Partain moves her to 3rd and Parlich knocks her in. Gophers with 4 stolen babes in this game thus far.
Lindaman homers to left center for two more runs. 13-3.
And it is over. Brandt with 6 ground outs for the 9 outs and one was a double play grounder. Got that effective drop ball.
Gophers with 13 runs on 12 hits and 0 errors.

Curious about how deep Disney put the fences for these games (300 foot fields with I think temp fences). Both Lindaman and Dwyer seemed to crush fly balls in the 4th that came up short. Gotta give it to the Huntsville girl that crushed an HR of Fiser earlier in the game.

edit above: South Alabama, not AL Huntsville

Well, forget my comment above about deep fences. Lindaman just hit it 30 or 40 feet from the slowpitch fence which is at 300+. Holy cow. (7th inning vs. S AL)

Man, what a dummy I am! It totally went over my head the Gophers had already played today! Didn't know that that Fiser had beat Kentucky earlier today 2-1. Geeze.... Wow, she started both games. I really find that interesting. What I thought was good day is a great day.

Nebraska is going through the gauntlet.
Played and beat #6 Texas A&M yesterday.
Played and lost to (RV) Mississippi State today.
Played and lost to #3 UCLA today.
Plays #1 Washington tomorrow.

Weather is great here in Orlando! The bats came alive today! Concerned that Smith has a sore arm and can't pitch. That is why she got pulled against Notre Dame.

Big Ten results on Friday

MSU beat Siena 9-1 and beat BC 9-5
Maryland beat Iowa State 9-5
Michigan beat VT 2-0 and lost to Texas 3-0
Purdue lost to Harvard 4-3 (That would be the ticket. Be a great pitcher and go to an Ivy.)
Wisconsin beat Fresno State 6-5
Penn State lost to UCF 4-0 and beat Jacksonville 4-2
Indiana lost to Samford 6-1 and lost to Lipscomb 2-0 (Stanton is off to a very rough start at 1-10)
Minnesota beat Kentucky 2-1 and beat USA 13-3
Maryland lost to Florida 7-1
Ohio State beat Wichita State 4-3
Rutgers beat Kennesaw State 4-3 and again 7-0
Purdue lost to Bradley 4-0
Northwestern beat San Diego State 3-0 and lost to LBS 9-0
Nebraska lost to UCLA 5-0

Gophers #22 in the USA Today/Coaches
Michigan #20
Ohio State is #21
Nebraska RV

Michigan went with their two freshman in the circle yesterday. Beaubien now sitting at 5-1 after posting a shutout. Schaefer took the loss against Texas.

Ohio State at 9-1 right now. They get Texas later on today. Next week they get UCLA and the following week Oklahoma. McCombs and Morgan throwing good for them.

Some nice games on tap today.

#3 Washington vs #9 Texas A&M
#2 Oregon vs #11 Tennessee
#12 Arizona vs #5 Oklahoma
#7 Florida State vs #13 Alabama
#8 LSU VS #4 UCLA

Top Bottom