Gopher Softball 2018

Agreed. The more the merrier.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome and I am sure you guys were concerned but don't worry Coach Trachsel has me on speed-dial for advice! :cool:

Improved defense is vital, but the most important aspect of all is pitching. As the Twins proved in baseball, you can't win big-time without big-time power pitching, or as Allister put it repeatedly "depth in circle." It'll be interesting to see how the Gophers do in the circle against tough competition.

I absolutely agree. I read an article during the softball season last year about how a starting fastpitch pitcher is the most valuable player in team sports because she can pitch no often and be so dominating. Allister having Moulton and then Sara G. tilts a lot of things in our favor during the last several years. Does Trachsel have a replacement for that kind of production? I have no idea but the difference between good and great will be in the circle. This team is loaded offensively but will need pitching to win some games when the hitters aren't producing. If we are winning B1G games 13-7 I will be worried going into the post-season. If we are winning 6-1 or 5-0 I will be much less concerned.

I absolutely agree. I read an article during the softball season last year about how a starting fastpitch pitcher is the most valuable player in team sports because she can pitch no often and be so dominating. Allister having Moulton and then Sara G. tilts a lot of things in our favor during the last several years. Does Trachsel have a replacement for that kind of production? I have no idea but the difference between good and great will be in the circle. This team is loaded offensively but will need pitching to win some games when the hitters aren't producing. If we are winning B1G games 13-7 I will be worried going into the post-season. If we are winning 6-1 or 5-0 I will be much less concerned.

You're right, in my opinion. There's nothing I'd love more than to see this Gophers team win big in the NCAA. But the last 3 years they've had only one pitcher who could compete against top-10 NCAA teams, and she was overworked, as she herself stated at one point in the 2017 season. They had to rely on Sara G. to beat New Mexico State, NDSU, and Louisiana Tech in elimination games in the Regionals and then hope she could come back the next day to beat a top team. But that's over now. In the future, ever better recruits in the circle will be the key. They won't need good pitching; it'll take superior pitching.

Areneson at SS both games today. Jensen in left. Chell DP in game #1. Rozelle catching game #2.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Briefly checked in on twitter to see what happened today.

See the ladies swept NDSU 6-2 and 6-3. Tomorrow, it's UMD for two.

Also saw that Smith pitched a complete game in game two.

Just wondering if anything else noteworthy took place against the Bison.

Briefly checked in on twitter to see what happened today.

See the ladies swept NDSU 6-2 and 6-3. Tomorrow, it's UMD for two.

Also saw that Smith pitched a complete game in game two.

Just wondering if anything else noteworthy took place against the Bison.

Coach played the starters for almost the whole first game and into the second. Since we have been having this outfield talk I thought it was significant that Jensen, Wagner, and Houlihan were the outfielders today. Chell and Krueger were the DPs today. I know there was discussion about Dwyer possibly moving to DP so in an odd way I think the Chell/Krueger thing is significant. They are either competing for the DP spot or the RF spot if Maddie moves to 1B and Syd is the DP. Jensen hit the ball fine slapping today and laid down a nice drag bunt for a base hit. I think she is the leader for the LF job.

Smith makes the defense play defense. NDSU hit the ball hard against her but the defense was solid. Arneson made several really nice plays as did Parlich at 3B and Brandt at 3B in the second game. Partain had an ugly error at 2B and also covered on a stolen base and whiffed when trying to catch the throw-down. Rozelle had a nice basehit and played catcher in the second game. She could be a wildcard.

Gill, Kemmetmueller, and Cowger played as pinch runners. Gill looked fast,

I think that Lowary, Thompson, Bailey, and Miller did not play. Miller might have had an AB but she spent a lot of time warming up pitchers in the bullpen. Bailey warmed up and did not pitch. Parents were talking and Lowary is cleared to throw but they are taking it slowly with her. Thompson has a minor injury and will probably sit out tomorrow as well.

Coach played the starters for almost the whole first game and into the second. Since we have been having this outfield talk I thought it was significant that Jensen, Wagner, and Houlihan were the outfielders today. Chell and Krueger were the DPs today. I know there was discussion about Dwyer possibly moving to DP so in an odd way I think the Chell/Krueger thing is significant. They are either competing for the DP spot or the RF spot if Maddie moves to 1B and Syd is the DP. Jensen hit the ball fine slapping today and laid down a nice drag bunt for a base hit. I think she is the leader for the LF job.

Smith makes the defense play defense. NDSU hit the ball hard against her but the defense was solid. Arneson made several really nice plays as did Parlich at 3B and Brandt at 3B in the second game. Partain had an ugly error at 2B and also covered on a stolen base and whiffed when trying to catch the throw-down. Rozelle had a nice basehit and played catcher in the second game. She could be a wildcard.

Gill, Kemmetmueller, and Cowger played as pinch runners. Gill looked fast,

I think that Lowary, Thompson, Bailey, and Miller did not play. Miller might have had an AB but she spent a lot of time warming up pitchers in the bullpen. Bailey warmed up and did not pitch. Parents were talking and Lowary is cleared to throw but they are taking it slowly with her. Thompson has a minor injury and will probably sit out tomorrow as well.
Thanks for the update! :)

A big crowd there today for the first game. Defensively it was basically the same as yesterday in the first game. Smith and Brandt pitched the first game and then Fiser/Bailey in the second game. Velasquez was the DP in the first game and looked decent at the plate. A bunch of different girls in the OF. Brandt played at 3B, SS, and 1B. The second game today a lot of girls played in the field.

I see that the Fastpitch issue today has a feature on Jessica Allister at Stanford. I didn't bother to read it; I don't really care what she's doing there. Even though she was bettering her career (in her opinion anyway) by leaving for Stanford, I feel she betrayed the really fine athletes she recruited to MN, caring more for herself than them. That act has greatly lessened my admiration for her. Maybe a mercenary younger generation sees it differently, but I have prefer the commitment of Carol Hutchins at Michigan, who has stuck it out there through thick and thin for many years. Having said that, I notice in the Gophers' fall games that the new coaching staff has discipline and a professional approach. These unexpected changes sometimes take strange turns, and I suspect the Gophers may fare even better from now on under Jamie Trachsel; I notice that the players are listening when she speaks. That's a great sign. The people I admire most of all are the players themselves, who stuck with the program, when they must have been taken by surprise and could have left. To me that's loyalty. If their pitching works out this spring, they could do very well indeed. I just hope the excellent recruiting continues in the future. I'm hoping for the best.

I see that the Fastpitch issue today has a feature on Jessica Allister at Stanford. I didn't bother to read it; I don't really care what she's doing there. Even though she was bettering her career (in her opinion anyway) by leaving for Stanford, I feel she betrayed the really fine athletes she recruited to MN, caring more for herself than them. That act has greatly lessened my admiration for her. Maybe a mercenary younger generation sees it differently, but I have prefer the commitment of Carol Hutchins at Michigan, who has stuck it out there through thick and thin for many years. Having said that, I notice in the Gophers' fall games that the new coaching staff has discipline and a professional approach. These unexpected changes sometimes take strange turns, and I suspect the Gophers may fare even better from now on under Jamie Trachsel; I notice that the players are listening when she speaks. That's a great sign. The people I admire most of all are the players themselves, who stuck with the program, when they must have been taken by surprise and could have left. To me that's loyalty. If their pitching works out this spring, they could do very well indeed. I just hope the excellent recruiting continues in the future. I'm hoping for the best.

I feel the same way.

I understand the players, administrators and some of the fans wishing her all the best and so forth, but the fact is she bolted as soon as the Stanford job opened. She couldn't have ran away any faster if you had fired her out of a cannon.

Like you, I couldn't care less about her at Stanford. For that matter, I couldn't care less if she ever even returns to the state of Minnesota for any reason.

From her perspective, I understand it's a great opportunity. Probably the same way Trachsel felt about leaving Iowa State for Minnesota. And I don't blame Iowa State fans if they feel the same way about Trachsel as I do about Allister.

It's just one of those things that's complicated. She felt she did what was best for her, and in reality, that's fine. I get it; just part of the business. With that being the case, I would simply say "thanks for your hard-work" and then tell her to get out of here as fast as possible.

But at the end of the day, I only care about the Gophers' success and Allister made her call. Therefore, she could win every game at Stanford or lose every game and I wouldn't care either way.

To me, Allister is the past.

Our future is with coach Trachsel and the really good team that we have.

I just don't foster any ill will towards Coach Allister. If it was any other school, I think I would wonder why but I have a tough time finding fault in her leaving to go coach at her alma mater.

I hope Trachsel can be really successful this year and keep momentum going in recruiting. I have no doubt that she is a capable coach and I don't worry about Piper and pitchers although Fiser looked to be the only dominant pitcher. Smith and Brandt both allow some hard hit balls but the defense is good and both looked solid. It is hard to read in a scrimmage game but I thought Brandt looked every bit as good as Smith which to me is a huge positive. I think Brandt was clocking about 65 MPH when throwing hard and she had a nice off-speed about 52 MPH. Too early to tell with Bailey and of course Lowary has been out so we have no idea what we get with her.

It looks like a smaller class coming in this year and I heard someone say that Trachsel thinks a 22 player roster is too big although with 20 allowed to travel I would venture that 22 is a good safety net against injuries.

I just don't foster any ill will towards Coach Allister. If it was any other school, I think I would wonder why but I have a tough time finding fault in her leaving to go coach at her alma mater.

I hope Trachsel can be really successful this year and keep momentum going in recruiting. I have no doubt that she is a capable coach and I don't worry about Piper and pitchers although Fiser looked to be the only dominant pitcher. Smith and Brandt both allow some hard hit balls but the defense is good and both looked solid. It is hard to read in a scrimmage game but I thought Brandt looked every bit as good as Smith which to me is a huge positive. I think Brandt was clocking about 65 MPH when throwing hard and she had a nice off-speed about 52 MPH. Too early to tell with Bailey and of course Lowary has been out so we have no idea what we get with her.

It looks like a smaller class coming in this year and I heard someone say that Trachsel thinks a 22 player roster is too big although with 20 allowed to travel I would venture that 22 is a good safety net against injuries.
To be honest, I'm not really all that worried about pitching.

Ritter, as has been mentioned, is amongst the best coaches in the country. Fiser looks like she could become a dominant No. 1, and if Brandt and Smith can complement her, this has the makings of being a really good staff.

Also nice that none of the three are seniors, so they'll have some time to learn and grow together while also challenging one-another.

I don't have any doubt about the quality of coaching. The key is recruiting superior players ongoing, if they aspire to compete at a level even higher than the Big Ten. Not an easy task, but it can be done. They've come a long way, and need to keep improving.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/101117aaa.html

Oct. 11, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY - Minnesota sophomore Kendyl Lindaman found her name among the 56 athletes to accept an invitation to participate in the 2018 USA Softball Women's National Team Selection Camp. The camp will be held January 1-5, 2018 at Eddie C. Moore Softball Complex in Clearwater, Fla.

Lindaman will be vying for a spot on the 2018 USA Softball Women's National Team (WNT) roster who will compete at the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Women's World Championship in Chiba, Japan August 2-12, 2018, the World Cup of Softball XIII and other select events. During the selection process, athletes will participate in drills as well as simulated games to be evaluated by the USA Softball Women's National Team Selection Committee.

Lindaman in her freshman year for the Maroon and Gold posted a team best batting average (.426), slugging percentage (.899), on-base percentage (.598), RBI (76), walks (63) and home runs (20). On top of setting a new single-season record for home runs, she also earned eight Big Ten Freshman of the Week awards setting a Big Ten single-season record. The Big Ten Player and Freshman of the Year was also named a NFCA First-Team All-American and named Division I NFCA Sports Diamond Catcher of the Year.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/101117aaa.html

Oct. 11, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY - Minnesota sophomore Kendyl Lindaman found her name among the 56 athletes to accept an invitation to participate in the 2018 USA Softball Women's National Team Selection Camp. The camp will be held January 1-5, 2018 at Eddie C. Moore Softball Complex in Clearwater, Fla.

Lindaman will be vying for a spot on the 2018 USA Softball Women's National Team (WNT) roster who will compete at the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Women's World Championship in Chiba, Japan August 2-12, 2018, the World Cup of Softball XIII and other select events. During the selection process, athletes will participate in drills as well as simulated games to be evaluated by the USA Softball Women's National Team Selection Committee.

Lindaman in her freshman year for the Maroon and Gold posted a team best batting average (.426), slugging percentage (.899), on-base percentage (.598), RBI (76), walks (63) and home runs (20). On top of setting a new single-season record for home runs, she also earned eight Big Ten Freshman of the Week awards setting a Big Ten single-season record. The Big Ten Player and Freshman of the Year was also named a NFCA First-Team All-American and named Division I NFCA Sports Diamond Catcher of the Year.
That is pretty darn good talent that Allister recruited! Several freshmen contributed last year and if a few can contribute this year it will mean good things.

That is pretty darn good talent that Allister recruited! Several freshmen contributed last year and if a few can contribute this year it will mean good things.

You're absolutely right. Continued great recruiting is the key. The coaching, the facilities, and the fan base are all there. Ever better players are all that's needed.

Sounds like the same NCAA personnel worked the UNC fraud case as worked last year's softball tournament committee :pig:

Does anyone know how many players are signing to join next year?? Class of 2018

Not sure how many they will sign. They will graduate 5 seniors but I have heard that coach Trachsel prefers 20 rather than 22 players. So, that would mean they might sign 3. Two that have committed are Emma Burns from Rapid City and Emily Hansen from Buffalo, MN.

Not sure how many they will sign. They will graduate 5 seniors but I have heard that coach Trachsel prefers 20 rather than 22 players. So, that would mean they might sign 3. Two that have committed are Emma Burns from Rapid City and Emily Hansen from Buffalo, MN.
Is there a pitcher in the mix? I guess we find out in November when they sign their NLIs.

From everything I've read and heard, Hansen could be a star in college. Don't know enough about Burns to have an opinion.

As for the pitching staff, none of them are seniors. Smith is a junior, Fiser and Brandt are both sophomores and Bailey and Lowary are freshmen. Not sure we need another pitcher in this recruiting cycle.

I have not heard of a pitching recruit in this class - doesn't mean there isn't one. The other commit that I am aware of is Sydney Schelkopf a speedster from a small school in Nebraska that plays club ball on a team from Oregon. It is the same club, Northwest Bullets, where Kenna Partain played.

What is the future of Jane Sage Cowles Softball stadium? It seems to be getting crowded out in its location. I read somewhere that the plans are for a new softball stadium to be built farther along, down by the grain elevators. Is that true?

I have not heard anything about that.

I don't know of any plans to relocate the field. However, there are several improvements that need to be made:

1. Locker rooms are inadequate. There is no visitors locker room. Visiting players are forced to use the public restrooms between double header games. Access to the home locker room is via the concourse of the stadium. Between double header games, players need to wend their way through crowds to get to the locker room.
2. Concessions and concourse can no longer handle the size of crowds attending the game. They made some temporary improvements at the end of last season to alleviate lines at the concession stand.
3. Increased seating is needed. Last year, they did add some bleachers along the left field line. Is it possible to add some bleachers beyond the left and right field walls?
4. The team could use a training facility similar to the one being proposed for baseball.

I heard that Jessica was asking for many of these things. I believe that Mark Coyle had agreed to provide several of them (he really tried hard to keep her here). I think they are still in plan.

I don't know of any plans to relocate the field. However, there are several improvements that need to be made:

1. Locker rooms are inadequate. There is no visitors locker room. Visiting players are forced to use the public restrooms between double header games. Access to the home locker room is via the concourse of the stadium. Between double header games, players need to wend their way through crowds to get to the locker room.
2. Concessions and concourse can no longer handle the size of crowds attending the game. They made some temporary improvements at the end of last season to alleviate lines at the concession stand.
3. Increased seating is needed. Last year, they did add some bleachers along the left field line. Is it possible to add some bleachers beyond the left and right field walls?
4. The team could use a training facility similar to the one being proposed for baseball.

I heard that Jessica was asking for many of these things. I believe that Mark Coyle had agreed to provide several of them (he really tried hard to keep her here). I think they are still in plan.

1. Looking at the lack of room (the new track is replacing the rec sports soccer/lacrosse field to the east, and the football building is over the left field fence), where would the locker rooms go?
2. A couple of portable kiosks for hot dogs, and other food items would work out. Once again, I don't see any room for more permanent concessions.
3. The Iowa bleachers add about 100, maybe another 100 can fit in some bleachers by the batting cages. Maybe after the construction is done, some OF bleachers can be looked at. The questions is , how would fans access them.
4. I thought part of the plan was to finally fix the roof of the old football building to accommodate softball, and to put in cages and other facilities in that building.

Nice recap.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out once the season starts for real in Spring.

As coach Trachsel mentioned, expectations are understandably very high and it sounds like the ladies are embracing the challenge of living up to their advanced billing. Also seems to really like the level of versatility and different looks this pitching staff can offer the opposition.

Also nice to see how excited Hannah Bailey is about where the team is at. I think we all agree with her that this team is going to be really good. Whether they can become elite remains the biggest question.

Nice recap.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out once the season starts for real in Spring.

As coach Trachsel mentioned, expectations are understandably very high and it sounds like the ladies are embracing the challenge of living up to their advanced billing. Also seems to really like the level of versatility and different looks this pitching staff can offer the opposition.

Also nice to see how excited Hannah Bailey is about where the team is at. I think we all agree with her that this team is going to be really good. Whether they can become elite remains the biggest question.

I am excited for spring as well. They will be good I think it is just a matter of how good. The defense is probably set other than LF. I really think Jensen looked good at the plate in the fall and she might be the answer in LF. I know Cowger and Chell probably have something to say about that. Velasquez and Thompson didn't play much in the field at all in the fall but I guess they could develop over the winter. Velasquez is a good hitter so I could see her pinch hitting some and Thompson is fast so she will probably run. Kemmetmueller and Krueger saw some action so it will be interesting to see how they fit in other than running. Same can be said for Gill. Gill is fast and will certainly run some. Rozelle is a nice option to give Linda a break at catcher. The freshmen pitchers are wildcards! I am really looking forward to the season!

Top Bottom