Gopher Softball 2018

The pessimist in me hopes the NCAA sends the Gophies into super regional bracket to anyone not Oklahoma, Florida or UCLA...and Oregon to a lesser extent. Those teams would take a herculean effort to beat with home cooking. The optimist in me says just play whoever's on the schedule.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So far this team has rewarded (surprised, even) the optimists. No achievement is out of sight for this great team.

Regarding super regionals, if the pairings that helped sink the chances of a really great Gopher team last yr are repeated, grab your pitchforks (at least megaphones) and follow me to NCAA HQ. The teams should determine the true champions not the committee.

How about Josey White to 1B (some rotation w/ Kendyl to relieve Kendyl and develop Josey as C. Both bats stay in lineup!). DenTartog to 3B. Hansen to CF (LF?). Arneson at SS until Emma Burns ("great eyes, soft hands" per Trachsel) can play enough DH and prove a better hitter. Lindner at DH along with Burns/Arneson. They both have to develop and prove they can hit. Lindner might also be valuable as PH with "slap hitting" for Small Ball game Trachsel coaches. Brandt primarily P due to better batters avail.

This approach might help fill the 4-5-6 hole in the batting order due to graduation of a great Sr class. Also improve hitting at DH and SS.

Don't forget this years freshman. Velazquez will battle for a outfield spot. Other freshman that can make a run at starting next year. I don't see Wagner not getting the nod at ss. Her D is great. If they work on her hitting, she will be awesome.

Enjoying this season and don't want to get ahead of myself, but has anyone hears anything about the next recruiting class. I know the five coming in next fall. Are there any line up for the following years yet?

I may have answered my own question. I was told today that there is no contact under the new recruiting rules with Juniors. Have to wait until August, just before they start there Sr. year.

I may have answered my own question. I was told today that there is no contact under the new recruiting rules with Juniors. Have to wait until August, just before they start there Sr. year.
I think you heard that wrong. Contact can start SEP 1 right before a recruit's junior year as far as I know. Before the new rule middle school kids were committing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Don't forget this years freshman. Velazquez will battle for a outfield spot. Other freshman that can make a run at starting next year. I don't see Wagner not getting the nod at ss. Her D is great. If they work on her hitting, she will be awesome.
Wagner at SS? Did you mean Brandt? Arneson will figure in there somewhere. I hope 2 freshmen can come in and be significant contributors. If that is the case the team will be in good shape.

Wagner at SS? Did you mean Brandt? Arneson will figure in there somewhere. I hope 2 freshmen can come in and be significant contributors. If that is the case the team will be in good shape.

Opps. Not sure where that came from. That is what I meant.

I think you heard that wrong. Contact can start SEP 1 right before a recruit's junior year as far as I know. Before the new rule middle school kids were committing.

Rigger. That sound right. Guess The person I talked to mixed up his dates.

True. My suggestion to try Hansen at OF to replace Dani Wagner is based on 1) her superb HS hitting and 2) a very good HS SS probably being able to quickly master any OF position. Of course they will compete, but do not see much indication of hitting prowess from current FR OF. Lindner may be her best competition in OF. Also, Hansen may not be needed as much at SS where Arneson is entering her SR yr with a fair conference rbi (1 less than Dwyer) total but fielding 0.828 which is lowest in current IF. The competition with Burns at SS could be interesting in both offensive and defensive. However, Burns could probably use the time to develop before Arneson graduates. DenHartog competing at 3B might also be something to watch. Parlich will be very hard to replace defensively (fielding 0.955) and offensively (2nd on team in conference rbi at 20). However, DenHartog is extremely dedicated and hard working. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hvYxM4S0Jw. She will probably be good off the start and then get much better.

True. My suggestion to try Hansen at OF to replace Dani Wagner is based on 1) her superb HS hitting and 2) a very good HS SS probably being able to quickly master any OF position. Of course they will compete, but do not see much indication of hitting prowess from current FR OF. Lindner may be her best competition in OF. Also, Hansen may not be needed as much at SS where Arneson is entering her SR yr with a fair conference rbi (1 less than Dwyer) total but fielding 0.828 which is lowest in current IF. The competition with Burns at SS could be interesting in both offensive and defensive. However, Burns could probably use the time to develop before Arneson graduates. DenHartog competing at 3B might also be something to watch. Parlich will be very hard to replace defensively (fielding 0.955) and offensively (2nd on team in conference rbi at 20). However, DenHartog is extremely dedicated and hard working. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hvYxM4S0Jw. She will probably be good off the start and then get much better.
DenHartog has wheels. I could see them putting her in the outfield. Maybe Hanson at 3B? Chell and Krueger are still out there. Chell battled injuries all year. I think who whoever can hit will play and there will be options. Maddie can play 1B, Brandt can play almost anywhere etc... They worked Brandt at 3B some in the fall. Maybe Arneson at 3B? Arenson had not been 100% this season. She will be in the mix on the left side of the infield.

No matter where they end up in a Regional, it's a tough situation.

Have to give credit where credit is due. 3 straight Big Ten Tournament Championships. No easy task.

No matter where they end up in a Regional, it's a tough situation.

Have to give credit where credit is due. 3 straight Big Ten Tournament Championships. No easy task.
Absolutely! I think this team can ambush somebody. Their hitting is much better than it was early in the year. Winning a regional is well within reach. They just need to take it.

DenHartog has wheels. I could see them putting her in the outfield. Maybe Hanson at 3B? Chell and Krueger are still out there. Chell battled injuries all year. I think who whoever can hit will play and there will be options. Maddie can play 1B, Brandt can play almost anywhere etc... They worked Brandt at 3B some in the fall. Maybe Arneson at 3B? Arenson had not been 100% this season. She will be in the mix on the left side of the infield.

Yep, competition for both IF & OF should be interesting. Sure that Coach Trachsel and her staff are looking forward to it but after a great finish to this season. We are probably the only ones with time to spend on this now. Imagine the future recruiting with three-peating B1G Championships and possible NCAA Final Four this yr.

They need to shape up the hitting though at back end, Ellee Partain Maddie Lindaman the only I'd say for sure start, others could use the competition

They need to shape up the hitting though at back end, Ellee Partain Maddie Lindaman the only I'd say for sure start, others could use the competition

Right. Batting order positions 9, 1, 2 & 3 are solid gold. Positions 4, 5 & 6 must be replaced. Positions 7 & 8 can be improved.

Yep, competition for both IF & OF should be interesting. Sure that Coach Trachsel and her staff are looking forward to it but after a great finish to this season. We are probably the only ones with time to spend on this now. Imagine the future recruiting with three-peating B1G Championships and possible NCAA Final Four this yr.

I know there is always a possibility, but you have to have some kick a$$ pitching to sniff getting to the world series......

wisconsin's region looks a lot easier than Gophers

So we are in a Region where the seeded team is seeded higher than those in Northwesterns, Wisconsins and Michigans. We finished second in the conference, are ranked and won the Big Ten tournament. We got screwed again, not as bad as last year, but it happened again.

So we are in a Region where the seeded team is seeded higher than those in Northwesterns, Wisconsins and Michigans. We finished second in the conference, are ranked and won the Big Ten tournament. We got screwed again, not as bad as last year, but it happened again.
It shook out unfavorably for us. We are a 2 seed and so is Michigan. They got seeded above us. The other two got seeded below and by luck got in regions with a lower seeded #1.

It shook out unfavorably for us. We are a 2 seed and so is Michigan. They got seeded above us. The other two got seeded below and by luck got in regions with a lower seeded #1.

and at least in Wisconsin's case a much weaker #2. An Oregon State team we easily beat 4-1 earlier this year.

Michigan can beat Kentucky and then get smoked by Oregon in the Supers. Gophers beat Washington and then revenge on Alabama!

I wish they would've been sent to Arizona just because they beat them earlier! Did all 13 SEC teams get in?

Top Bottom