Pitino on changing Isaiah Washington's game: “You got to let him be himself."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Washington is a flashy finisher, facilitator and ball handler. His highlights and finger rolls, which he calls "Jelly,” have been a hit on social media from his all-star game appearances this spring. He won’t be asked to change his flamboyant New York City style.

“If you try to temper him, it’s not going to work,” Pitino said. “You got to let him be himself. You got to let him go. I’m excited to get a chance to work with him. I give my players a lot of freedom, as long as they do the right thing — wanting to win and being about the team.”

The Gophers will return All-Big Ten guard Nate Mason, All-Big Ten freshman guard Amir Coffey and high-scoring sixth man Dupree McBrayer. Harris and Washington will fill some holes that were apparent in the NCAA tournament loss to Middle Tennessee.

“I think we’ve got a lot of options now,” Pitino said. “And that’s what is exciting about it. As good as we were last year, we didn’t have a lot of depth in the backcourt. Obviously that showed when [senior Akeem Springs] got hurt.”

http://www.startribune.com/incoming...nd-jamir-harris-are-early-arrivals/423538093/

Go Gophers!!

Of course, you've heard from Pitino before that you want to be able to play fast without turning the ball over a lot. Obviously the key to that is having players who are talented enough to do that.

Everytime I hear Harris speak or see him quoted I like the kid more and more.

“I’m not going to lay down and be quiet,” Harris said. “I want to come in and show I belong as far as a vocal member of the team. Offensively, I can play both positions. Coach Pitino talked to me about my shooting that I can bring that to the table. He said my ability to shoot off the dribble is needed. I just want to come in and make an impact whatever my role is on the team. I care about the success of the team as a whole.”

Top Bottom