All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

Race has been much more productive on the AAU circuit than Jarvis has. Not really a good comparison IMO.

I was talking about wanting more from Jarvis and I'm saying you can say the same about Race. The race is a more talented offensive player and that's the production your talking about. I just think we can use a player that's scrappy and defends. We will have weapons offensively next year so a role playing big wouldn't be a bad pickup and he will be working with coaches everyday to improve. Hopefully he redshirts his freshmen year

You can say that about Race Thompson also. I mean his high school team lost to Cooper and he was playing extremely lazy on defense. When he isn't scoring he doesn't bring much else to the table. I think Jarvis will be fine as a rotational big.

I'm the wrong guy to engage with on Race Thompson's shortcomings because I've yet to be all that impressed by his game when I've seen him play but I will say this about him: he's got far and away more basketball skill than Thomas.

He can handle the ball, he can knock down outside shots, he's a good passer and when engaged (yes when as in not always) he's a good defender.

I think Thomas can make it as a serviceable rotation big man - as in like an Andre Ingram type - but I don't see a whole lot more to him at this point. Race might be in a similar boat in that the bottom line is "rotation player" rather than "starter" but they aren't similar players.

All I'm saying about Jarvis is don't let Marcus Fuller trick you into thinking he's more than he is. He's very athletic. He makes highlight reel plays on occasion and he might be able to carve out a role as a backup big who cleans up the trash inside. I just don't see much more to his game. Not saying he can't improve - but it would take an awful lot of improving.

I'm the wrong guy to engage with on Race Thompson's shortcomings because I've yet to be all that impressed by his game when I've seen him play but I will say this about him: he's got far and away more basketball skill than Thomas.

He can handle the ball, he can knock down outside shots, he's a good passer and when engaged (yes when as in not always) he's a good defender.

I think Thomas can make it as a serviceable rotation big man - as in like an Andre Ingram type - but I don't see a whole lot more to him at this point. Race might be in a similar boat in that the bottom line is "rotation player" rather than "starter" but they aren't similar players.

All I'm saying about Jarvis is don't let Marcus Fuller trick you into thinking he's more than he is. He's very athletic. He makes highlight reel plays on occasion and he might be able to carve out a role as a backup big who cleans up the trash inside. I just don't see much more to his game. Not saying he can't improve - but it would take an awful lot of improving.

I've seen both play a couple of times and I agree with your take on all points. Jarvis can look extremely good playing against inferior players or when somebody very good is feeding him (Tre Jones). I've seen Race dominate one half and then seem like he doesn't care the second half. Both have flaws right now but I think Race has got more upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking about wanting more from Jarvis and I'm saying you can say the same about Race. The race is a more talented offensive player and that's the production your talking about. I just think we can use a player that's scrappy and defends. We will have weapons offensively next year so a role playing big wouldn't be a bad pickup and he will be working with coaches everyday to improve. Hopefully he redshirts his freshmen year

At this point Jarvis is averaging 6.3 RPG and 1.3 BPG for Howard Pulley in EYBL play. Race for D1 Minnesota is averaging 6.9 RPG and 1.1 BPG.

Jarvis during the HS year averaged 10.1 RPG and Race as of January 6th was averaging over 8 RPG and I believe he finished the season at 9 RPG.

So right now their rebounding and shot blocking numbers are about equal but Race is superior offensively.

These two are not all that close. However, if you can not get the one then from a coaches standpoint your thrilled to get a forward that can not only rebound but actually thrives on stopping the other teams best forward. This is not to say that they are out of it for Race. He just has more opportunity than Jarvis.

+1

I agree Jarvis does have a lot of improvement but he does play harder and has a high motor. I've seen him enough to not let Marcus constant highlight tweeting affect my opinion. I mentioned Race because everyone seems to think he is a must have prospect and I just don't see that either. He's def more skilled than Jarvis but doesn't have the motor at all. He has the body and skill set to dominate high school ball but he just seems disinterested especially when his shot isn't falling.

great points. I like Thomas because he is role player. You can't have all your recruits be #1 scorers. You need guys to do the dirty work. Gophers didn't turn their season around until Murphy decided to be scrappy again.

great points. I like Thomas because he is role player. You can't have all your recruits be #1 scorers. You need guys to do the dirty work. Gophers didn't turn their season around until Murphy decided to be scrappy again.

And that's fair, you need some toughness, I think everyone understands that. People are comparing Thomas to Murph because of the body build and the toughness and physical game but that's pretty much where it stops. Thomas is more athletic, I'll give him that but Murphy was a better overall player and prospect coming out of high school.

Will I be disappointed if we land Jarvis? No but I prefer Race. I like Race's chances of his weaknesses being developed than Jarvis'

And that's fair, you need some toughness, I think everyone understands that. People are comparing Thomas to Murph because of the body build and the toughness and physical game but that's pretty much where it stops. Thomas is more athletic, I'll give him that but Murphy was a better overall player and prospect coming out of high school.

Will I be disappointed if we land Jarvis? No but I prefer Race. I like Race's chances of his weaknesses being developed than Jarvis'

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

PLAYING AAU WITH JARVIS THOMAS: “It’s really fun playing with him. He’s an energetic player. He brings a lot of energy. He plays tough. He brings that toughness. He makes exciting plays that make me go, ‘Wow, I can’t believe he just did that.’ It’s cool. I’ve known him for a long time. He’s one of my good friends. It’s just really cool to be playing with him for the first time ever. Having him in the frontcourt is really good. I’ve known him since our freshman year. He only lives 10 minutes away from me. So we’d hang out a lot. He’s grown as a basketball player throughout high school. He’s got a lot of potential. He’s young, too (only 16). His ceiling is really high

ABOUT GOPHERS OFFERING THOMAS RECENTLY: “I was really happy they finally offered him. I felt like he deserved it a while ago. I’ve been working on him even more now since he has an opportunity now to go there. It would be really cool to play with him in college, too.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

PLAYING AAU WITH JARVIS THOMAS: “It’s really fun playing with him. He’s an energetic player. He brings a lot of energy. He plays tough. He brings that toughness. He makes exciting plays that make me go, ‘Wow, I can’t believe he just did that.’ It’s cool. I’ve known him for a long time. He’s one of my good friends. It’s just really cool to be playing with him for the first time ever. Having him in the frontcourt is really good. I’ve known him since our freshman year. He only lives 10 minutes away from me. So we’d hang out a lot. He’s grown as a basketball player throughout high school. He’s got a lot of potential. He’s young, too (only 16). His ceiling is really high

ABOUT GOPHERS OFFERING THOMAS RECENTLY: “I was really happy they finally offered him. I felt like he deserved it a while ago. I’ve been working on him even more now since he has an opportunity now to go there. It would be really cool to play with him in college, too.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

I think that is pretty significant. I bring nothing to the table as far as analyzing Thompson VS Thomas as I never watched either play a second of basketball, but Race is already 18 and Jarvis is still only 16...there might be more potential still left in Thomas (not that he's really getting ripped on here all that much, but it seems like most people are in the Thompson camp).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Do we know if he is a plan A vs. plan B offer from Marquette? i.e., is his offer committable right now?

I'm glad he is making the call now. I'd be happy to have him, and if he chooses elsewhere we have plenty of time to move on or focus on Race.

Do we know if he is a plan A vs. plan B offer from Marquette? i.e., is his offer committable right now?

I'm glad he is making the call now. I'd be happy to have him, and if he chooses elsewhere we have plenty of time to move on or focus on Race.

Marquette's all in on Joey Hauser (his brother is already on the team). Anything can happen but you have to imagine Jarvis will be a Gopher.

Race has probably given indications he's going elsewhere. He seems pretty set on Indiana.

Anything can happen but you have to imagine Jarvis will be a Gopher.

Having a hard time seeing any other scenario playing out. I imagine the coaching staff has sensed that Race is headed elsewhere so they've made it clear to Jarvis recently that he's their guy.

Would prefer he decide after Race just so we could know for sure if he would or wouldn't come here if he has the choice.

Having a hard time seeing any other scenario playing out. I imagine the coaching staff has sensed that Race is headed elsewhere so they've made it clear to Jarvis recently that he's their guy.
While I understand that we want Race, might be kind of fun if he picks Indiana-Big Ten, now that Minnesota is looking stronger, I would enjoy the matchup of Minnesota kids on each team. And Minnesota victories of course.

Would prefer he decide after Race just so we could know for sure if he would or wouldn't come here if he has the choice.

I don't want to break any cross-site internet laws, so I won't get into specifics but it appears that Race Thompson is a non-factor for the Gophers for kind of a surprising reason (nothing Race did wrong or anything).

So if we get Jarvis, Gabe(maybe?), and Daniel does that put us in a better spot with Tre? Just bring in the pulley team?

I don't want to break any cross-site internet laws, so I won't get into specifics but it appears that Race Thompson is a non-factor for the Gophers for kind of a surprising reason (nothing Race did wrong or anything).

Any links you could provide?

Marquette's all in on Joey Hauser (his brother is already on the team). Anything can happen but you have to imagine Jarvis will be a Gopher.

Race has probably given indications he's going elsewhere. He seems pretty set on Indiana.

Thanks for the intel. Then I am pretty confident he is a Gopher. Let's lock up him and Gabe, and focus on a PG!

Thanks for the intel. Then I am pretty confident he is a Gopher. Let's lock up him and Gabe, and focus on a PG!

I still think it's long shot but I don't think we're out of it with tre

Top Bottom