All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

Jarvis & Gabe should redshirt if they come here. Neither will get much time as freshmen

I wonder if we'll see much less redshirting of basketball players around the country because it's become so common to grad transfer after the fourth year and play immediately somewhere else.

I wonder if we'll see much less redshirting of basketball players around the country because it's become so common to grad transfer after the fourth year and play immediately somewhere else.

don't know if they really correlate. Many grad transfers are guys in the following criteria
- aren't playing much and want to go somewhere to contribute, usually a smaller school
- small school/mid major wanting to play at a higher level
- guy transferring to a contender from a non contender ie kid from say Penn State transferring to to Kansas

If a guy redshirts here but is contributing and playing later on, they likely wouldn't be a candidate to transfer unless we're mediocre and he wants to go to a contender AND is wanted by those programs. if a guy isn't playing as a RS JR/SR and wants to transfer I doubt it'll hurt us too much

Redshirting is already a rarity in college basketball

The idea of Oturu and Thomas together defensively is very appealing. I'm sure Race will be a very good college player but Jarvis is the better fit for the current program IMO. You have to love 6'8 ultra-athletic lunch pail guys willing to do the dirty work. I'll be very happy if Jarvis does indeed commit to the Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't know if they really correlate. Many grad transfers are guys in the following criteria
- aren't playing much and want to go somewhere to contribute, usually a smaller school
- small school/mid major wanting to play at a higher level
- guy transferring to a contender from a non contender ie kid from say Penn State transferring to to Kansas

If a guy redshirts here but is contributing and playing later on, they likely wouldn't be a candidate to transfer unless we're mediocre and he wants to go to a contender AND is wanted by those programs. if a guy isn't playing as a RS JR/SR and wants to transfer I doubt it'll hurt us too much

Yes, but there is no way of knowing on Day 1 what the contribution level of that player will be.

[/B]

Yes, but there is no way of knowing on Day 1 what the contribution level of that player will be.

Guys don't have to redshirt to get enough credits to grad transfer and I agree with oleboy the only way someone grad transfer is we are not as good as we should be or he's not getting minutes by his senior year.

how common are press conferences instead of tweets this time of year? having Reid Travis flashbacks now.

Live Twitter stream here:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There it is! Jarvis is a Gopher! :)

Thanks Nadine! Jarvis will be an Awesome addition to the Gophers!

per Marcus:

On Sunday, Thomas called coach Richard Pitino to become a member of the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class, joining Howard Pulley AAU teammate Daniel Oturu, a 6-10 center from Cretin-Derham Hall.

“He was hyped,” Thomas said of their phone conversation. “He just kept saying, ‘I’m hyped. I’m hyped.’ He was just excited.”

Arguably the most explosive finisher in the state, Thomas proved in AAU play this summer that he was much more than just a spectacular dunker, improving his defense and rebounding.

That’s when a scholarship offer from the home-state program finally came this summer from Pitino.

Thomas went from one major conference scholarship offer last year to more than a half dozen this summer, including Wake Forest, Texas A&M, Iowa State and Pittsburgh. He’s the No. 138 player nationally in 2018 by Rivals.com and a four-star prospect by 247.com’s composite ranking.

“Physically and athletically he’s ready to be a Big Ten player,” Rivals.com analyst Eric Bossi said.

http://www.startribune.com/jarvis-t...r-picks-richard-pitino-and-gophers/435274253/

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

Jarvis Thomas didn’t think he would end up with the Gophers, until he took his visit.

The four-star forward from Orono High School had seen Williams Arena, visiting for Gophers games, but his visit gave him a chance to tour the Gophers’ new Athletes Village, which is currently under construction but will be completed by the time the 2018 recruit gets on campus.

“It was kind of mind-blowing and kind of surreal,” he said. “I just could visualize myself being there … (with) all the other guys, just having a good time.”

Thomas was sold.

“It just felt right,” he said. “It’s kind of hard for it not to feel right when you’re at home.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/1...-jarvis-thomas-commits-to-gophers-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I don't recall seeing this posted - it's Jarvis' commitment video. Very well done:

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Oturu’s potential might be the highest for a Gophers center out of high school since Joel Przybilla came to the U in 1998.

“I think Daniel Oturu is going to be a really good player,” said Evan Daniels, Scout.com’s director of basketball recruiting. “I like him as a prospect. I think he has a lot of upside. I think his best basketball days are ahead of him. He’s mobile. He’s long. He’s athletic. He goes to the glass and rebounds. He contests shots. That was a pretty significant pickup for Richard Pitino to get a guy like him early.”

Oturu and Thomas could be still growing, even after adding a couple inches in the past year. There’s no doubt they will also both get much bigger and stronger before college. Thomas is still just 16.

Thomas’ off-the-chart athleticism stands out more than anything. But playing consistently with a high motor is what allowed him to make an even greater impact this summer, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi said.

“He’s always been athletic,” Bossi said. “He always had a motor. But it was an inconsistent one. Hot and cold. Never knew what you were going to get. But now I think he’s become more reliable. And you know the effort is more often than not going to be there. He’s finding different ways to be productive on top of just playing hard.”

http://www.startribune.com/daniel-o...uld-make-great-future-u-frontcourt/435679763/

Go Gophers!!

Wow! I heard he was athletic, now i can appreciate how much. Im even more excited we got him.

Thomas joins at around the 2:05 mark in the Nike Dunk video posted above. I don't know the winners name but his dunks were extremely impressive. His last dunk reminded me of Dominique Wilkins. Jarvis's dunks looked pretty sweet too.

Top Bottom