All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

Wait...did both Jarvis and Thomas commit:confused:

Said that i think he is a better fit as Thomas
is a sure thing as a defender.

per Jace:

Something about Gophers home basketball games last season stood out to Jarvis Thomas.

When Michael Hurt, a freshman forward from Rochester, would check in at the scorer’s table, Thomas recalled, “The crowd would just erupt.”

“It’s ridiculous,” Thomas said. “People, they love the in-state kids.”

They’ll be getting a few more of them soon. Moments after DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur announced his commitment to the University of Minnesota this week, he threw his arms around Daniel Oturu and Thomas — fellow Gophers commits from the Class of 2018 — and posed for pictures.

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

img_6317-2.jpg

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

Nice story on Thomas. Looking forward for him to play against Gabe!

I really like these Three Amigos. Waiting on the 4th. It should be good!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Chad:

Playing together on an offseason AAU basketball team, Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Thomas spent many long nights talking about what the next four years could hold for them.

They envisioned Oturu dominating the block, Kalscheur shooting 3s and Thomas using his athleticism to pull down rebounds. All for their hometown Gophers.

On Wednesday, the three Minnesotans take a giant step closer to becoming college teammates, with each planning to sign a letter of intent to play for the Gophers men’s basketball team in what will be the U’s biggest single haul of local talent since Royce White headlined three Minnesotans who did the same in 2009.

All three long ago gave oral commitments to the Gophers, and can sign officially with the program Wednesday, the first day the NCAA allows non-football and soccer players to sign letters of intent for the Class of 2018.

“We are all coming together for the same goal — to put on for our state,” said Oturu, a 6-foot-10 center who plays for Cretin-Derham Hall. “You don’t have to leave to be successful. We want to build our own legacy at the U and continue that with the younger generation too. Hopefully, more kids will stay home too and play for the Gophers. We want to start a trend.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...recruits-hope-this-is-start-of-something-big/

Go Gophers!!

Is Jarvis using a new last name?

Is Jarvis using a new last name?

His full first and last name is Jarvis Thomas-Omersa. His twitter name is GTM JTO, with the JTO being Jarvis Thomas Omersa. Maybe just wants to go by Omersa now.

His moms last name is Omersa. Not sure that dad is involved based on some pictures I've seen from his signing moment.

Redshirting Jarvis seems like the logical move doesn't it? I've wondered since he committed if that was something the staff would consider. You can never have too much front court depth but with Fitz looking more like a PF after the injuries, there's likely going to be three power forward options ahead of him. My guess would be Eric Curry will have the chance to be a starter at Center in 18-19 but will play some 4 too. I'm just not sure where the minutes will come from for Jarvis as a freshman and if that's the case why burn a year of his eligibility? Why not let him spend a year in the weight room and let him be that "junkyard dog" off the bench Murph is? Just some food for thought.

I'm just guessing, but I don't think any of these kids redshirt. The crowd will want to see them and Pitino will want to see his new toys in action. We'll probably have some sort of attrition to the roster by then anyway.

Oturu playing the 5. Curry playing minutes at the 4 and 5. Fitz playing minutes at the 3 and 4. Murphy at the 4. Plenty of room for Jarvis to get play at the 4. Will want to get him experience too so he is ready to go when Fitz and Murph are gone the next year.

Go Gophers!!

Oturu playing the 5. Curry playing minutes at the 4 and 5. Fitz playing minutes at the 3 and 4. Murphy at the 4. Plenty of room for Jarvis to get play at the 4. Will want to get him experience too so he is ready to go when Fitz and Murph are gone the next year.

See so this is the interesting part to me. You have Oturu, Curry and Stockman all getting minutes at center next year while Murphy, Curry, Fitz and Omersa get minutes at the 4. I do understand getting him experience but is Pitino ever going to go that deep into his bench on a regular basis? From the sounds of it in interviews he's given and otherwise, he is going to play. But it'd be nice to have an energy guy like him in the rotation for 4 years compared to 3. I know coaches are trying to stay away from redshirts though for obvious reasons.

See so this is the interesting part to me. You have Oturu, Curry and Stockman all getting minutes at center next year while Murphy, Curry, Fitz and Omersa get minutes at the 4. I do understand getting him experience but is Pitino ever going to go that deep into his bench on a regular basis? From the sounds of it in interviews he's given and otherwise, he is going to play. But it'd be nice to have an energy guy like him in the rotation for 4 years compared to 3. I know coaches are trying to stay away from redshirts though for obvious reasons.

I'd be interested to see if Pitino plays around with some big lineups next year, with Fitzgerald or Murphy or Curry or Thomas at 3. They all seem fairly athletic, so that could be a fairly dominant team on the boards. The NBA is going to a small ball type system, but I think the ability to zone in college may allow for a bigger lineup to still excel.

I'd be interested to see if Pitino plays around with some big lineups next year, with Fitzgerald or Murphy or Curry or Thomas at 3. They all seem fairly athletic, so that could be a fairly dominant team on the boards. The NBA is going to a small ball type system, but I think the ability to zone in college may allow for a bigger lineup to still excel.

This is a great point. Especially if Coffey should decide to go pro after this year, the optimal lineup might at times include a Curry or Fitz in particular at the 3.

per Marcus:

PITINO ON 2018 RECRUITS

For the first time Thursday, Pitino was able to speak publicly about two members of his 2018 recruiting class, Cretin-Derham Hall’s Daniel Oturu and Orono’s Jarvis Thomas Omersa, who signed Wednesday at the start of the early signing period. Pitino couldn’t talk yet about shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur, who will sign 3:30 p.m. Friday at DeLaSalle.

“Both guys I’m extremely excited about,” Pitino said. “We feel like we’ve had back-to-back-to-back really good recruiting classes. And that’s how you turn a program around.”

Pitino raved about the potential of Oturu, a 6-foot-10, 225-pound four-star prospect from Woodbury, Minn. gives the Gophers their third straight top-50 recruit, joining Isaiah Washington in 2017 and Amir Coffey in 2016.

“Daniel I believe is one of the best big guys in the country,” Pitino said. “Some have him ranked top 5 centers in the country. I think he’s talented. I think he’s going to come in and help right away. Bright days ahead for him.”

Omersa, who changed his last name from Thomas last month, is a 6-foot-8, 225-pound freakishly athletic forward who can play multiple positions, Pitino said.

“He’s one of the best athletes that we’ve brought in since we’ve been here,” Pitino said. “He plays extremely hard. Very, very tough. Both guys I expect to be really good players. We always talk about closing down the borders. We’re certainly doing that.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...467223/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Fun to read this. Maybe the present and future are bright!

Remember when Mbakwe played the 3 after injuries forced Tubby's hand? The boost in rebounding isn't worth it. I'd rather have a 6'3 small forward then a PF playing out of position at the 3.

Remember when Mbakwe played the 3 after injuries forced Tubby's hand? The boost in rebounding isn't worth it. I'd rather have a 6'3 small forward then a PF playing out of position at the 3.

And Rodney was our shooting guard

I'm not crazy about big lineups either but Jarvis does kind of have that versatility to play the 3 depending on the matchup. Like Khalil Iverson from Wisconsin is someone who sticks out as an example where you would want a guy like Jarvis guarding him. What I worry about with big lineups is spacing on offense and with how dependent our offense is on slashing guard and wing play i'm not sure that would be as effective. Like you, I'd rather go small than big.

I glanced at the paper today, saw the Gophers signed a recruit named Omersa, and I thought this was somebody different. I thought someone must have de-committed. Later, when I took the time to read the story more carefully, I realized it was Jarvis Thomas. Does anyone know the story on this?

I glanced at the paper today, saw the Gophers signed a recruit named Omersa, and I thought this was somebody different. I thought someone must have de-committed. Later, when I took the time to read the story more carefully, I realized it was Jarvis Thomas. Does anyone know the story on this?

I believe his name this whole time was Jarvis Thomas-Omersa, but was often just referred to as Jarvis Thomas. He recently had his name legally changed to Jarvis Omersa. I think Omersa is his mom's last name and Thomas is his dad's.

Any chance this kid plays 4 years of hoops then gives to football team 1 year of service?

This is an early season statement game. We take our 15th ranking into Providence against thr 34th ranked Friars. We should win this but will need to be a LOT more sharp than on Friday. My guess is Providence by 3 78-81. Sure hope I’m wrong.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom