All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

Really curious what people think the Gophers would be getting if they got Thomas.

He can dunk. He can jump. He can't shoot, he can't dribble.

What are people expecting him to bring the Gophers if they even did offer - which I still don't believe they will.

Athleticism, rebounding, rim running, scoring in transition.

Didn't Doogie get in a beef with Jarvis' mom because he went out of his way to say Pitino would never offer him?

Their beef was more about Doogie saying Jarvis had an "odd situation" or something along those lines. Can't remember the exact wording. He mentioned something similar in his most recent podcast. Has never elaborated so I'm not really sure what he's referring to. Believe it is something with the family situation, but not 100% sure

Could Jarvis Thomas be a Rodney Williams clone? If so, I gotta think there is room on a 12 man roster for that.

Possibly, but Rodney should've been a 4 man his entire career. He was way better suited there than on the wing.

Agree to a certain extent. He was better suited for the 4 position based off his skillset but he didn't have the body or the frame to play the 4. He had defensive struggles because of his size. He should have been developed by the staff to have wing skills by his senior year.

Worse shooter, not as much length. He is stronger than Rodney was though.

Worse shooter than Rodney? Hmmm, not sure I'm interested then.

Worse shooter than Rodney? Hmmm, not sure I'm interested then.

Pretty sure Rodney wanted to be a SF (or Tubby wanted him to be one). I have never heard Jarvis Thomas as anything but a PF(I haven't looked hard). Murphy is a worse shooter than Rodney and he does pretty well at the 4 for us.

Pretty sure Rodney wanted to be a SF (or Tubby wanted him to be one). I have never heard Jarvis Thomas as anything but a PF(I haven't looked hard). Murphy is a worse shooter than Rodney and he does pretty well at the 4 for us.

Agree. I don't get why we are acting like every Final 4 team or top team in the country is full of shooters. Who are Michigan State shooters? Who were Kansas shooters? North Carolina didn't have consistent shooters. He's more of a Murphy type player than Rodney and why wouldn't we want a player like that.

Agree. I don't get why we are acting like every Final 4 team or top team in the country is full of shooters. Who are Michigan State shooters? Who were Kansas shooters? North Carolina didn't have consistent shooters. He's more of a Murphy type player than Rodney and why wouldn't we want a player like that.

You need to have the right mix of players. Some guys need to do the dirty work.

Our problem right now is that we really have no proven "shooters." (I'm hoping one of the new guys can fill that role.) Not all the guys need to be shooters, but some of them need to be. The way the non blue bloods match up with the big boys is to get guys that can shoot.

Our problem right now is that we really have no proven "shooters." (I'm hoping one of the new guys can fill that role.) Not all the guys need to be shooters, but some of them need to be. The way the non blue bloods match up with the big boys is to get guys that can shoot.

I get that but we need guards who can shoot. If Jarvis was a wing, then I can see everyone saying we don't need him, but as a 4 man, you need that Jordan Murphy scrappy type player. We got out of our slump this year when Murphy started playing scrappy and doing the little things.

GopherHole Q&A: Big AAU Season Has Jarvis Thomas' Stock on the Rise, Planning Upcoming Visit to U
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/801814?referrer_id=

Jarvis Thomas, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound rising senior forward from Orono (MN) High, is one of the top wings in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number six prospect in the class. His strong play this spring has earned him offers from power conferences such as the ACC, SEC and Big East. Thomas is expected to make an unofficial visit to Minnesota soon.

Thomas averaged 15.9 points per game as he helped Orono to a 23-6 record, losing to six-time defending Class AAA state champion DeLaSalle 71-68 in the Class AAA, Section 6 finals. He scored in double figures in 24 of 29 games with five games of more than 20 points, including a season-high 27 points versus Waconia and New Prague.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thomas recently to learn the latest on his junior season and college recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You are playing with Howard Pulley this year. You guys are off to a great start AAU-wise. How pleased are you with how well you guys are playing?

Jarvis Thomas: I am more than pleased. I kind of can't really believe where we are at right now, but everything seems to be rolling pretty well for us.

Gopher Hole: Was their nervousness about the chemistry because they have guys that have played together and you hadn't really played with them. Was there any nervousness about that?

Jarvis Thomas: No, not really. We put good players together and it just works for us. I was never really nervous about it, though.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? I know that you played really well this spring. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Jarvis Thomas: I am actually very pleased with how well I have been playing. Thank you, by the way. You can always play better, but so far, I am pleased.

Gopher Hole: You picked up some new offers like Nevada, Marquette, Texas A&M and Pittsburgh. How many offers are you up to right now?

Jarvis Thomas: I think it is nine. (Green Bay, Oregon State, Arizona State, Iowa State and Cal State Bakersfield have also offered)

Gopher Hole: Have you given any thought about trying to visit some of those schools?

Jarvis Thomas: Me and my mom have talked about going to about visiting Pitt and A&M, I am pretty sure and possibly Butler.
Gopher Hole: When would you do that?

Jarvis Thomas: We don't know yet. Most likely June or like early September.

Gopher Hole: They had an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune recently about you. It said that you are going to try to play football again this year?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. I am probably going to play football this year.

Gopher Hole: How do you think football helps you for basketball?

Jarvis Thomas: It helps me in every way. It makes me tougher. More physical. I am a receiver, so I can catch some of those lobs that people don't think are catchable

Gopher Hole: The article also mentioned your relationship with former Gopher Jonathan Williams, who you have been working out with a lot. What has he meant to you?

Jarvis Thomas: He means a lot. Coach John has helped throughout this whole thing with recruiting, my skills, my social life. Even stuff between me and my mom. Like everything. Dude means the world to me.

Gopher Hole: Is that especially nice during the recruiting process, which has picked up quite a lot to talk to someone who has gone through it?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. It is great to talk to somebody who has gone through it.

Gopher Hole: If I had told you a year ago that you would have these kind of offers, would you have been a little bit surprised or did you think that you had that potential?

Jarvis Thomas: I would have told you that you were lying.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel pretty proud, though?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes, it does. Definitely.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you want to work even harder to hear from other schools?

Jarvis Thomas: That has only added fuel to the fire.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are playing with a great team and that has to help you, too, especially Tre Jones, who will put you in the best position to be successful. Is that kind of nice to have a point guard who knows where to get you the ball?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. For sure, Tre is great guard. He has been helping me out. He is probably some of the reasons that I have gotten the looks that I do. Definitely, he helps a lot.

Gopher Hole: I have seen some YouTube highlights of you recently. Do you ever check those out yourself?

Jarvis Thomas: Sometimes, yes I do.

Gopher Hole: Do you ever think, how did I do that?

Jarvis Thomas: I don't really realize what happens. I just do it.

Gopher Hole: Have you given some thought about when you would even try to decide on a school? Would you try to sign in the fall or have you even thought that far yet?

Jarvis Thomas: You know, I was think after football season, before high school basketball starts. In that area.

Gopher Hole: What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Jarvis Thomas: The relationship with the coach. The players and the style of play.

Gopher Hole: What about Minnesota? I know that they have picked up some interest in you. What are they saying to you?

Jarvis Thomas: They haven't really said that much. They just want me to come for a visit to look at the new facilities and stuff.

Gopher Hole: I know that Daniel (Oturu) has committed. I know that he is talking to you and some of the other guys. What is he saying to you?

Jarvis Thomas: Daniel is just saying "Come home."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I would be fine with getting the Howard Pulley 4!

Race would be icing.

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus:

Gophers fans probably hope he doesn’t wait long. He’s been dazzling fans in person and on social media with his highlight-reel dunks all spring and early summer for Howard Pulley’s AAU team.

Making the most of his first season in the Nike EYBL, the St. Paul native has been one of the fastest rising players in the country. With top 2018 point guard Tre Jones running the show, Thomas has flourished in the open court – turning Howard Pulley’s fast breaks into dunk city.

But dunking isn’t all he can do. Thomas is an aggressive offensive rebounder and intimidating shot blocker. Having background as a football player makes him unafraid to be physical and play through contact.

Thomas said Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Wednesday he liked “my toughness and my ability to run the floor and be versatile – and how I can basically guard (five positions).”

Pitino compared Thomas to current Gophers starting power forward Jordan Murphy, a 6-7 dunking and rebounding machine. Murphy earned All-Big Ten honors last season as a sophomore.

If Thomas is like Murphy, then Gophers 2018 commit Daniel Oturu is like current Gophers center Reggie Lynch. Thomas and Oturu play together in the frontcourt for Howard Pulley.

“Daniel is a good kid; he’s a fun guy,” Thomas said. “Me and him play really well together I think, if not one of the best combinations for a frontcourt in the EYBL.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...664083/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Surprised they offered him given all I'd heard was that he wasn't getting an offer.

That said, he's played well on the EYBL circuit.

Still think rubes will see the highlights and think he's more than he is. He's a guy who makes a few splash plays a game and wow in the warm up lines right now. He's extremely athletic. But I'm not sure he's a good basketball player. I think his athleticism and style of play makes it so that he can be a relatively solid rotation big man - but again I've always come away wanting more when I watch him play.

Surprised they offered him given all I'd heard was that he wasn't getting an offer.

That said, he's played well on the EYBL circuit.

Still think rubes will see the highlights and think he's more than he is. He's a guy who makes a few splash plays a game and wow in the warm up lines right now. He's extremely athletic. But I'm not sure he's a good basketball player. I think his athleticism and style of play makes it so that he can be a relatively solid rotation big man - but again I've always come away wanting more when I watch him play.

You can say that about Race Thompson also. I mean his high school team lost to Cooper and he was playing extremely lazy on defense. When he isn't scoring he doesn't bring much else to the table. I think Jarvis will be fine as a rotational big.

You can say that about Race Thompson also. I mean his high school team lost to Cooper and he was playing extremely lazy on defense. When he isn't scoring he doesn't bring much else to the table. I think Jarvis will be fine as a rotational big.

Race has been much more productive on the AAU circuit than Jarvis has. Not really a good comparison IMO.

Top Bottom