All Things Jarvis Omersa Recruitment Thread UPDATED: OMERSA A GOPHER!

I still think it's long shot but I don't think we're out of it with tre

Since Jarvis and Gabe are likely gopher locks, I think it really would have helped if they won the peach jam, showing Tre that if those 4 can form the best AAU team in the country, then that would convince Tre they can create a great college team too.

So basically Race was still the major want at PF, he chose elsewhere and we gave the greenlight to Jarvis.

Since Jarvis and Gabe are likely gopher locks, I think it really would have helped if they won the peach jam, showing Tre that if those 4 can form the best AAU team in the country, then that would convince Tre they can create a great college team too.

I watched a few of those games online cause I'm a loser who can do things like that during work. In the games I saw Gabe looked somewhat useless out there. He wasn't hitting shots and didn't really do anything else to help the team. AAU is obviously not college ball but it seemed to confirm in my mind that he's basically just a shooter. If he's hitting I'm sure he can help a team but I don't know what else he brings to the table.

So basically Race was still the major want at PF, he chose elsewhere and we gave the greenlight to Jarvis.
No Gophers have Jarvis at the top think the difference in age and athleticism was what put him over the top. Didn't matter anyway when Race decided he was reclassifying and the Gophers had no open scholarships and weren't just gonna push somebody out to open up a spot for Race.

No Gophers have Jarvis at the top think the difference in age and athleticism was what put him over the top. Didn't matter anyway when Race decided he was reclassifying and the Gophers had no open scholarships and weren't just gonna push somebody out to open up a spot for Race.

Is Jarvis older than most kids in his class?

per Jace:

Orono forward Jarvis Thomas will announce his college choice on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Orono High School, the forward tweeted on Sunday.

Thomas, a four-star recruit ranked 164th nationally by 247 sports, is a Gophers target with other reported offers from programs such as Marquette and Iowa State.

The athletic, 6-foot-8 big man — who started his high school career at Tartan — is a high-flyer capable of highlight-reel finishes. He played well for the Howard Pulley AAU team this summer on Nike’s EYBL circuit. Cretin-Derham Hall center Daniel Oturu, Thomas’ teammate at Howard Pulley, is already committed to Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/1...is-thomas-to-announce-college-choice-tuesday/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

One of the fastest rising prospects in Minnesota this year, Orono senior forward Jarvis Thomas will be announcing his college decision 6 p.m. Tuesday night at his high school, Thomas tweeted Sunday afternoon.

The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Thomas hasn’t cut his list down recently, but the Gophers are believed to be the favorite to land him. Thomas, who also has scholarship offers from Wake Forest, Marquette, Iowa State and Arizona State, is already an AAU teammate of University of Minnesota big man commit Daniel Oturu with the Howard Pulley Panthers.

Richard Pitino and his staff followed Howard Pulley (along with 2018 guards Tre Jones and Gabe Kalscheur) in the Nike Peach Jam Championships in South Carolina this week.

http://www.startribune.com/orono-pf...e-tuesday-race-thompson-to-indiana/434836793/

Go Gophers!!

Not sure why there are a few that are saying they wanted Thomas over Thompson. To be honest I have never seen either one play in person but always had the opinion Thompson was our number one priority at power forward. Perhaps Thomas's upside will be even better but a lot of this sounds like sour grapes.

Not sure why there are a few that are saying they wanted Thomas over Thompson. To be honest I have never seen either one play in person but always had the opinion Thompson was our number one priority at power forward. Perhaps Thomas's upside will be even better but a lot of this sounds like sour grapes.

Word is spreading that staff preferred Jarvis over Race and this was conveyed to Race. I'm sure more will come to light after Tuesday when Jarvis announces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, Jarvis has decided to be a Gopher! Here's a tweet that caught my eye awhile back because of who it was from. Mike Schmitz is the guy who does all the Strengths/Weaknesses videos for Draft Express that many of us check out prior to/after the NBA draft.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think it's that odd for someone to prefer Jarvis over Race. Jarvis is 16 years old, has a reputation as a hit motor, hard working kid, and is an athletic freak. There's also speculation that Tre may give Minnesota a harder look if Oturu, Jarvis, and Gabe are all Gophers.

I LOVE the idea of bringing in the athletic freak with this class and then going after the skilled big man (Hurt) in 2019. Oturu, Jarvis, and Hurt would make for a fun front court in a couple of years. Based on what I read about all three, they'd complement each other quite nicely.

I've been saying it for months. I think Jarvis fit the team better and is a better defender, rebounder, and plays with a higher motor

I've been saying it for months. I think Jarvis fit the team better and is a better defender, rebounder, and plays with a higher motor

Yep, and Jarvis is the one who's climbing the rankings and getting the plaudits. We'll see what happens, but I'm excited for him to be a Gopher.

I don't think it's that odd for someone to prefer Jarvis over Race. Jarvis is 16 years old, has a reputation as a hit motor, hard working kid, and is an athletic freak. There's also speculation that Tre may give Minnesota a harder look if Oturu, Jarvis, and Gabe are all Gophers.

I LOVE the idea of bringing in the athletic freak with this class and then going after the skilled big man (Hurt) in 2019. Oturu, Jarvis, and Hurt would make for a fun front court in a couple of years. Based on what I read about all three, they'd complement each other quite nicely.

They actually would. Hurt could play the 3 Amir the 2 Jarvis at the 4 and Oturo at the 5 with Jelly at the point or Tre if he chooses to stay home.

They actually would. Hurt could play the 3 Amir the 2 Jarvis at the 4 and Oturo at the 5 with Jelly at the point or Tre if he chooses to stay home.

I'm not sure what year this lineup is in, but you're supplanting some seniors/juniors if you're talking next year or two.

Murphy and Curry are absolutely starting over Jarvis at the 4 or maybe even Oturo at the 5 with Curry.

McBrayer is playing the 2 for the next two years unless he stops progressing suddenly.

Amir is tailor made for the 3.

Jarvis is going to be a nice backup. If Matt Hurt comes here, he likely jumps in and changes things quickly, but I don't anticipate any of our prospective recruits other than maybe Oturo jumping in as a starter.

I'm not sure what year this lineup is in, but you're supplanting some seniors/juniors if you're talking next year or two.

Murphy and Curry are absolutely starting over Jarvis at the 4 or maybe even Oturo at the 5 with Curry.

McBrayer is playing the 2 for the next two years unless he stops progressing suddenly.

Amir is tailor made for the 3.

Jarvis is going to be a nice backup. If Matt Hurt comes here, he likely jumps in and changes things quickly, but I don't anticipate any of our prospective recruits other than maybe Oturo jumping in as a starter.

Hurt is 2 Years out so Murphy will be gone. Curry would probably start over Jarvis but if we get Hurt somebody will be out of the lineup. Dupree may be the one that's out. I didn't say that would be a starting lineup I said those 5 could play together

Hurt is 2 Years out so Murphy will be gone. Curry would probably start over Jarvis but if we get Hurt somebody will be out of the lineup. Dupree is may be the one that's out. I didn't say that would be a starting lineup I said those 5 could play together

Makes sense.

Hurt is 2 Years out so Murphy will be gone. Curry would probably start over Jarvis but if we get Hurt somebody will be out of the lineup. Dupree may be the one that's out. I didn't say that would be a starting lineup I said those 5 could play together

If Murphy is gone so will Dupree

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like the thought of adding another "rebounding/defensive monster"

Next year lineup forecasted by no authority whatsoever(me):

PG: (Tre)/Jelly
SG: McBrayer/Sophmore SG/(Kalesheur)
SF: Coffey/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry/Fitzgerald/(Thomas)
C: Oturo/Stockman

This is what you are looking at next year if we sign Tre and Gabe not counting walk-ons and fillers if no one leaves early.

Pitino would have his work cut out to keep all of these guys happy. Which of course would be a good thing!

I could see Thomas getting re-shirted.

This is what you are looking at next year if we sign Tre and Gabe not counting walk-ons and fillers if no one leaves early.

Pitino would have his work cut out to keep all of these guys happy. Which of course would be a good thing!

Jarvis & Gabe should redshirt if they come here. Neither will get much time as freshmen

Isn't Fitz done after this year? Harris is the SG.

I haven't seen Thomas play, but when you talk about an athletic freak who plays hard and defends but lacks skill and post moves, the upper end of that from the standpoint of effectiveness in a Gopher uniform would be a guy like Courtney James. So if Thomas develops in that direction - which it seems he can - he could be a key contributor on a championship caliber team.

I haven't seen Thomas play, but when you talk about an athletic freak who plays hard and defends but lacks skill and post moves, the upper end of that from the standpoint of effectiveness in a Gopher uniform would be a guy like Courtney James. So if Thomas develops in that direction - which it seems he can - he could be a key contributor on a championship caliber team.

I see Jarvis' body type, bounce, athletic ability and acumen on defense and as a rebounder and think of a young Dennis Rodman. Just keep the camera operators away from the basket.

Isn't Fitz done after this year? Harris is the SG.

Fitzgerald was granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA a few months back after missing all of last year with the ACL. I would assume he would use it, barring an injury this year. So as of right now, he still has 2 seasons left.

Top Bottom